United Kingdom and Ireland - Weather Discussion

Oh my Goodness...what a mess. Praying that the skys part soon..leaving you with sunshine.

Oh my goodness.

Hoping Zweibel is doing allright.

It's probably the middle of the night in Germany, but Zweibel check in when you can.

I've been too busy clearing out to check in. My house escaped damage, my garden...well, those hochwassers sure do smell, and it's amazing what they bring with them. Not to mention Mr Z had just stacked 20 new bags of cement in the new wooden garden house, that exploded through the door once the waters hit.

Lol, great timing. I have to give a shout out to all the fireworkers and other 'mithilfer' (volunteers) here. They worked SO hard, especially to protect the homes of the vulnerable. I fed them masses of chocolate to keep them going!

Sun's out now, so thanks to anyone who responded to my plea and told the rain to go away.

I've been too busy clearing out to check in. My house escaped damage, my garden...well, those hochwassers sure do smell, and it's amazing what they bring with them. Not to mention Mr Z had just stacked 20 new bags of cement in the new wooden garden house, that exploded through the door once the waters hit.

Lol, great timing. I have to give a shout out to all the fireworkers and other 'mithilfer' (volunteers) here. They worked SO hard, especially to protect the homes of the vulnerable. I fed them masses of chocolate to keep them going!

Sun's out now, so thanks to anyone who responded to my plea and told the rain to go away.

Glad to see you are okay, was worried. Especially after Mr. Show Me found a pic on the internet that I thought was an aquarium. Turns out it was the window of a store with the flood water halfway up and fish swimming in it! Amazing the window didn't break.

Chocolate always gets me going.

What's a hochwassers.

Hochwasser - highwater/flood.

My neighbour was certain his goldfish would just take refuge at the bottom of their pond. He gave me a big lecture on how they didn't like moving water and would never leave their home.

I saw them swimming up and down the street from my window, the moment the waters got high enough. They seemed to be jumping for joy at their new-found freedom! I tried to catch them with a net, to no avail. I hope they made it to safe waters somewhere else.

Hochwasser - highwater/flood.

My neighbour was certain his goldfish would just take refuge at the bottom of their pond. He gave me a big lecture on how they didn't like moving water and would never leave their home.

I saw them swimming up and down the street from my window, the moment the waters got high enough. They seemed to be jumping for joy at their new-found freedom! I tried to catch them with a net, to no avail. I hope they made it to safe waters somewhere else.

I hope his goldfish made it to safe waters also. It's like when we see a loose parakeet in Missouri. Someone's pet has escaped. Maybe the gold fish just went on a vacation and will return before the waters go down. lol

Hoping your Hochwasser goes away soon my friend.

Mail has the story plus pics and a video of attempts to save the woman who died at Tilly Whim sea caves, Purbeck, Dorset.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2486044/UK-weather-Woman-drowns-swept-tiny-cave.html

• Victim, 30, was 'coasteering' with her brother - who was unhurt - at Tilly Whim caves, near Swanage, Dorset
• Desperate rescuers spent two hours talking to woman through a blowhole - but could not reach her in time
• Two lifeboat crews battled against force nine 50mph winds to try to get to the mouth of the cave yesterday
• Coasteering is a sport involving free climbing up and along a rock face and jumping into the water to swim

Wind and coastal flood warning for Scotland and England
Large swathes of the UK are braced for a storm bringing with it gale-force winds, possible travel disruption and the risk of some coastal flooding.

Worst hit will be Scotland, where 80mph winds are expected, and the north and east of England, BBC forecasters say.

Communities on England's east coast are being told to prepare for the most serious tidal surge for 30 years.

Most at risk is the North Sea coast from Northumberland to the Thames Estuary, the Environment Agency says.
---
more at BBC link above

http://news.msn.com/world/gale-force-winds-and-flooding-hit-europe

Gale-force winds pummeled Scotland, causing a fatal truck accident, halting all trains and leaving tens of thousands of homes without electricity. Much of northwestern Europe braced for a storm that was expected to bring flooding to coastal areas.

A storm packing strong winds struck Scotland overnight. Winds gusting up to 142 miles per hour were measured in the Scottish Highlands, and many roads and bridges were closed. The storm was also expected to bring polar winds to much of Europe. Weather forecasters predicted winds gusting up to 87 miles per hour on Germany's North Sea coast and Britain's Environment Agency said tidal surges could bring "significant" coastal flooding, and the Thames Barrier was closed to protect London.

http://news.msn.com/world/gale-force-winds-and-flooding-hit-europe

Gale-force winds pummeled Scotland, causing a fatal truck accident, halting all trains and leaving tens of thousands of homes without electricity. Much of northwestern Europe braced for a storm that was expected to bring flooding to coastal areas.

A storm packing strong winds struck Scotland overnight. Winds gusting up to 142 miles per hour were measured in the Scottish Highlands, and many roads and bridges were closed. The storm was also expected to bring polar winds to much of Europe. Weather forecasters predicted winds gusting up to 87 miles per hour on Germany's North Sea coast and Britain's Environment Agency said tidal surges could bring "significant" coastal flooding, and the Thames Barrier was closed to protect London.

142 miles an hour! Geezzzz!
It's like a winter hurricane or tornado!

Gale force winds batter Europe as thousands in U.K. face more flooding

.......Environment Secretary Owen Paterson said there would be "exceptionally high tides" on Friday and Saturday, though they were not expected to reach Thursday's levels, when water swamped seaside promenades and flooded homes. In the town of Hemsby in eastern England, several houses fell into the sea as waves eroded cliffs.

Britain's Environment Agency said that sea levels late Thursday in some areas exceeded those in a 1953 flood in which hundreds died. But flood defenses and evacuation warnings meant that only two people were killed in storm-related accidents.

Accidents linked to the storm that roared across Europe Thursday have killed at least eight people, from Britain to Sweden, Denmark and Poland.

Traffic ground to a halt on icy highways and train service was canceled in large parts of Sweden. Tens of thousands of people lost electricity. Strong winds knocked down the city of Vaxjo's Christmas tree.

Scores of flights were canceled at airports in Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Germany and Poland. More than 1,000 people spent the night at Copenhagen airport where 200 flights were canceled Thursday and about 70 on Friday.......

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/gale-fo...-k-face-more-flooding-1.1577354#ixzz2n1kWJgel

UK and Ireland, Stormy Through Christmas. (accuweather.com)
---
At least five more storms will impact the United Kingdom between now and Christmas, leading to travel headaches for many.

Tuesday night into Wednesday night, a pair of storm systems will blast Ireland and the United Kingdom with potentially damaging winds and heavy rainfall.

The worst of the storm will be Wednesday afternoon into Wednesday night as winds over 80 kph (50 mph) affect Ireland, the United Kingdom and northern France.

The strongest wind gusts can reach 130 kph (80 mph) leading to the threat for widespread power outages, downed trees and even the potential for structure damage in northern Ireland and northern parts of the United Kingdom.
more at the link

Forgive me all for this hopefully edifying and entertaining tangent. This is from James Joyce's Dubliners (from 'The Dead'), pertaining to weather in Ireland (gosh, I know that is unforgivably tangential, but it is a sort of weather report that I hope you will not hate me for posting):

"A few light taps upon the pane made him turn to the window. It had begun to snow again. He watched sleepily the flakes, silver and dark, falling obliquely against the lamplight. The time had come for him to set out on his journey westward. Yes, the newspapers were right: snow was general all over Ireland. It was falling on every part of the dark central plain, on the treeless hills, falling softly upon the Bog of Allen and, farther westward, softly falling into the dark mutinous Shannon waves. It was falling, too, upon every part of the lonely churchyard on the hill where Michael Furey lay buried. It lay thickly drifted on the crooked crosses and headstones, on the spears of the little gate, on the barren thorns. His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead."

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/2814/2814-h/2814-h.htm

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghost246
Back