Found Deceased UK - Charlie Pope, 19, Manchester, 1 Mar 2018

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
Charlie Pope, 19, left the Zombie Shack on Manchester's New Wakefield St in City Centre around 2.30am on Thursday morning. He was last seen on Whitworth Street two hours later - wearing only a thin burgundy bomber jacket with jeans. Fears are growing for Charlie, who has been missing for almost 36 hours in temperatures that haven't moved above zero. Charlie is described as white male, 5ft10, with a slim build, brown curly hair, and blue eyes.

charlie.jpg

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5711130/charlie-pope-missing-manchester-west-didsbury/

I don't know why bars exist beside water it just seems like a recipe for disaster in my opinion.

I don't think the bars are directly on the canal or river, merely that they are in the same general vicinity. If the location of licensed premises was to be restricted by planning regulations, how close would be too close? No bars within 50 yards of water access? 100 yards? In the end you can't legislate for drunk and stupid.

Surely they could put protection up to stop people who are intoxicated from falling in.

Rivers and canals by their nature run for miles. Why should the taxpayer pay God knows how much to put mile upon mile of railings along one of both sides of them to stop the one person in a million getting drunk enough to fall in? Besides, the canals are very much used by leisure and residential boaters who moor up. Railings would effectively imprison them on the water and prevent them leaving their boats, and that's not practical.

Thank you for starting a thread for Charlie.

It wasn't me, guv. JerseyGirl started it.

This has to STOP!! These men drinking, and falling into the water and dying is so unnecessary!

Family and friends gather to say final goodbyes at funeral of Charlie Pope
https://www.manchestereveningnews.c.../charlie-pope-funeral-canal-petition-14445737
Mourners wept as they said farewell to teenager Charlie Pope, who was found dead in a canal in Manchester city centre earlier this month.

Family and friends of the 19-year-old gathered at a church in Newcastle for the funeral on Thursday afternoon.

They shared stories about Charlie, a University of Manchester student from Ponteland, Northumberland, and said their final goodbyes.

The teen, who was living in West Didsbury during his studies, went missing in the early hours of Thursday, March 1, following a night out at a bar on New Wakefield Street in the city centre.

His body was found in the Rochdale Canal near Lock 89 by underwater divers the following day.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karimahlaksita
Back