PA PA - Janet Shuglie, 36, Somerset, June 30 1985

Tuck

Reaction score
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/42338/4
Missing Person Case

According to Ancestry, she is listed as deceased since September 15, 1985, although there was no given cause or whereabouts of death. According to Namus, she left Room 19 of the Coleman Motel in Somerset, and headed north on Route 985 in the general direction of Jennerstown. From the point of beginning of Route 985 to Jennerstown, there is a ten kilometre stretch of road primarily surrounded by fields and wooded areas, with some residential areas in the vicinity. It is unknown if she reached Jennerstown, but it would appear that she disappeared on the aforementioned stretch of road.

<<<Modsnip>>>

She is listed as having a daughter (Marissa, born in 1975) who vanished with her in Somerset, but I have been able to find no records regarding her, and she is not in the Namus database.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not the poster you were addressing but the room number and road name are publicly available on Namus (the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System)
Missing Person Case

I'm so sorry your mother is missing.

I’d like to ask who you are and how you know this information, especially room number, road names, etc. Did you get this information off of a police report? Please respond or email me at jshuglie@gmail.com. I am Janet’s son and Marissa’s younger brother.

As mentioned above, this information was taken directly from the NamUs file, which is directly available to the public. I'm just a member on this website who adds the recent cases they find in the NamUs system to the website, and have no relationship whatsoever to the case. If you want me to take any of this down, please let me know, and I will do so immediately.

I also offer my sincere sympathy to your family, and I'm so sorry that you had to go through this whole experience.

Does anyone have any ideas or knowledge as to why the NamUs case for Marissa and Janet Shuglie was only started in February of 2018? Why so late after the incident? I’m not asking if you know specifically to this case why, but maybe generally or if that’s normal?

Does anyone have any ideas or knowledge as to why the NamUs case for Marissa and Janet Shuglie was only started in February of 2018? Why so late after the incident? I’m not asking if you know specifically to this case why, but maybe generally or if that’s normal?

Hi amyg1515, NamUs is a criminal justice agency not a law enforcement agency. The purpose of NamUs is to serve as a national clearinghouse and resource center for missing, unidentified, and unclaimed person cases in the US. Cases in the system are usually entered by law enforcement or family members. While NamUs does provide analytical services for cases, it is at the request of the investigating agency.

Missing Person Case

Original
Original

https://www.namus.gov/api/CaseSets/NamUs/MissingPersons/Cases/42338/Images/95500/Original
Newspaper clipping

Photos of Janet have been added to her NamUs profile.

July 2 2019
Discovery Of Missing Woman's Class Ring Heats Up Decades-Old Cold Case
But the former cold case heated up with a new discovery — a 1967 class ring from Penn Trafford middle school.

janet-shuglie-class-ring.jpg

(Credit: KDKA)

"Family members confirmed the ring was Janet Shuglie’s. State Police are not saying where it was found, but family members hope it’s a key to unlock a tragic mystery.

“I know this was years and years and years ago, but there may be someone out there still who knows something,” says Sartori.

“Please, we beg you, come forward and help us out. We want to find our sister.”

Sad I never heard of this case and it's local to me. Janet's daughter would be the same age as myself. I hope the latest developments of finding Janet's class ring help investigators learn more about her and her daughter's disappearance.

From NamUs - printed 3/3/2018

Dental information/charting is currently not available
DNA: initial status underway
Fingerprint information is currently not available

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Original

Janet's daughter, Marisa has been added to NamUs
Circumstances of Disappearance

Marisa and her mother Janet left the Coleman Motel in Somerset on June 30, 1985 after her mother and husband had an argument that morning. After failing to get a ride to Pittsburgh at a local car dealership they walked South toward the PA Turnpike. They were reported missing on July 3, 1985.

Read the 2nd article. Lots of extra information.

Original
Original

Last edited:
Brothers want closure in disappearance of mother, sister Updated Jul 9, 2019
This photo of Janet Shuglie was taken shortly before she married Frank. She would be 70 this year. Josh and Chris Shuglie were 5 and 7, respectively, when their mother and sister seemingly vanished from Somerset County 34 years ago. Janet Shuglie and her daughter, Marissa, left the Coleman Motel along North Center Avenue in Somerset Township on June 30, 1985, after Shuglie and her husband, Francis “Frank” Shuglie, had a fight that morning, according to police reports at the time. After failing to get a ride at a local car dealership, they walked south toward the Pennsylvania Turnpike Interchange. “They vanished off the face of the earth,” Trooper Larry Williams, a state police criminal investigator, told the Daily American at the time.
Last week, police revealed that Janet Shuglie’s class ring was discovered 20 years ago and subsequently turned over to police. Police did not reveal where the ring was discovered.
Frank Shuglie reported his wife missing on July 3, 1985. A month later, he reportedly offered two Pittsburgh men $2,000 each and round-trip tickets to Hawaii in exchange for killing his wife, maiming or killing her aunt and uncle, and kidnapping his daughter. He told police he believed her aunt and uncle were hiding the pair. Frank Shuglie was convicted of five counts of criminal solicitation in a nonjury trial the following year. Josh Shuglie said he remembers his parents arguing on the day his mother and sister disappeared. “I think she spit in his face and he slapped her,” he said. After he turned 18, Josh Shuglie tried to solve the case himself. While attending Penn State University, he was able to track down his sister’s Social Security number, and he inquired about whether it had been used. It had not. He also contacted a psychic. About 10 years ago, Josh Shuglie wrote a book about his mother’s disappearance. He said that while he thought his family could be in witness protection, he now believes they were murdered. He added that while he understands crimes of passion, he does not understand why anyone would would murder a 10-year-old girl. Josh Shuglie occasionally talks to his father. About an hour before Shuglie’s interview with the Daily American Monday, his father showed up at his house, he said.
“I told him this is all over the news — you need to be on the forefront if you don’t have anything to hide,” he said. “He pretty much said let sleeping dogs lie.”Josh Shuglie said he believes that his sister is sometimes forgotten as most of the focus is on his mother. He said he has snapshots of his sister in his mind but does not remember a lot about her. “My sister was innocent,” he said. “Where is she?” Josh Shuglie said that he and his brother do not have a good relationship with their mother’s family. He said they were left out of recent news conferences. “They never mention my brother and I,” he said. Josh Shuglie said he did not know that a ring was discovered however, the state police did take his DNA to enter into a national missing persons database.
Chris Shuglie said he also thought that his family could be in witness protection. He also thought that perhaps his sister is alive somewhere. “The problem is not knowing,” he said.
Josh Shuglie said he wants to know what happened, no matter the answer. He said his brother doesn’t talk much about the case. “The past is the past,” he said. “If you live in the past, you are destined to relive it.” The Shuglies grew up in foster care because of their father’s arrest and conviction. He said that despite his troubled childhood, he didn’t fall through the cracks.
“I didn’t become a drug addict,” he said. “I just soldiered on, I guess. Most people use what happened in their life as an excuse. I don’t.” Josh Shuglie urged anyone with information to contact police. He believes that whoever was behind his family’s disappearance may have had help. Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 724-832-3288.
Brothers want closure in disappearance of mother, sister
Josh wrote the book "Blind Living" here is the summary for the book : My story is a tale about a young boy thrown into foster care when his father goes to prison. He is five when this occurs. Coincidentally, his father is incarcerated for the disappearance of his mother and sister. When the boy is fourteen, he is finally told the real reason why his father is in prison. During this period he is bounced around from one abusive foster home to another until the age of eighteen, when he is emancipated. He enrolls in college and lives in the fast lane, wanting to feel normal and accepted, but he never can let go of that unanswered question. What happened to his mother and sister? After sixteen years his father is released from incarceration. The boy is now a young man at twenty-one years old. His father is no help in finding answers to his questions, and they have a tumultuous relationship. The young man is forced to live with him or be homeless, for he has no other family. He searches for the answer, however heartbreaking, or has to submit to the fact that in life there may be unanswered questions and that the reality may be that to move ahead one must let go of the past.

Attachments

• janet.jpg
    janet.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 2
They obviously never had enough evidence to charge her husband. The mud on his clothes and returning to the motel late at night are both defintely suspicious. I don't know why he would wash the hotel room so much when his sons had been there so he obviously didn't kill his wife and Marisa there, except that he was trying to hide mud or signs of where he had been that afternoon or what he had been doing. Or maybe to hide signs of previous domestic violence, too. Mud makes me think of a river for some reason. Just a thought that occured to me. They must have been buried well if their bodies haven't been found all these years.

I kind of think the police should have released where the ring was found. It might have been something that resulted in some info from someone, if it jogged someone's memory, perhaps. But since it was likely a detail only killer perhaps could confirm, then they probably felt it was a way to prove who the killer was if their bodies ever turned up. That is sometimes why details of unsolved murder cases are not released. If her husband did it, he would have had to follow them and pick them up from what I have read. It is too bad Dan Slagle didn't know how bad their circumstances were that day, but maybe they did not know, either.

Still, walking to the turn pike with nothing or even something is not wise behaviour and not really safe so it suggests she knew things were pretty bad. I'm not sure if the church was in walking distance or not. It sounds like they were trying to get a ride to there.

I doubt they were buried under what was later Slagle's parking lot, then an open field because her husband did not come back until late at night and I think that would have been too risky or obvious a place. I wonder what is there now. I should look it up.

Human remains have been found in Somerset County, not far from where Janet and Marissa were last seen.

Human remains found in Somerset County
I'd be surprised if it is them or one of them after all these years, but you never know, I guess. Even if the remains aren't theirs, perhaps this case getting more publicity as a result might lead somewhere, though. The publicity about the ring unfortunately didn't.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back