Thoughts on Daylight Saving Time...

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
It's time, once again, to set clocks, light-timers, watches, etc. forward one hour. We do the reverse in the fall and set such devices back one hour. Tonight, we "lose" an hour of sleep but will "gain" it back in the fall when we return to Standard Time.

Love it or hate it? Nuisance or worthwhile? What do you think of Daylight Saving Time?

How to get ahead of (and cope with) daylight saving time

It's just an hour. An hour that can throw a healthy sleeper’s Circadian rhythm out of whack.

On Sunday, March 11 (at 2 a.m. to be exact), it’s time to push our clocks up an hour, so that it will actually be 3 a.m. It’s a seemingly minor transition, but one that has long attracted controversy. A 2012 survey by Rasmussen Reports found that as many as 40 percent of Americans were in favor of eliminating Daylight Saving Time, and over the years, certain cities, such as Alberta, Canada, have lobbied to scrap it.

Hey, it’s just an hour, what’s the big deal? Well, any of us who has dealt with insomnia or poor sleep can vouch for how valuable that hour can be, and even one hour’s loss can throw a healthy sleeper’s Circadian rhythm out of whack. What can we do to prepare for the change, and acclimate quickly? We consulted sleep experts to build a plan...

https://www.nbcnews.com/better/pop-culture/how-get-ahead-cope-daylight-saving-time-ncna855286

Florida is looking at year round Daylight Savings Time.

Most of the nation springs forward on Sunday, moving clocks up one hour to observe daylight saving time. If Sunshine State legislators get their way, Floridians won't be falling back.

By overwhelming, bipartisan majorities, the normally fractious Senate and House agreed this week to make Florida the first in the nation to adopt year-round daylight saving time statewide. It would mean later sunrises and sunsets from November to March, peak tourist season for many beach cities.

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/arti...e-florida-seeks-all-year-daylight-saving-time

It depends on how far north you live. Here in Southern Oregon, we would do fine staying on standard time year round. We would lose the long light summer evenings (past 9:00 p.m.), and be more like San Diego is on daylight savings time. But that’s not a huge deal. I wouldn’t mind staying on standard time year round and skpiping the sleep issues.

But please don’t make us have daylight savings time all year like Florida wants to do! Here in our valley surrounded by mountains it would be close to 9:00 a.m. in the winter before the sun appeared above the mountains. It would still be darkish in the mountain valleys by 8:15 a.m. when many people have to be at school or work.

Our evenings would be light later, but dark mornings would be hard to deal with. Further north in Oregon and Washington it would be even darker. The southern states benefit most from keeping daylight savings time. Frankly, anyone in the north who suffers from seasonal affective disorder (depression) like I do would be a mess on year-round daylight savings time. It’s enough of a struggle!

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weat...y-in-daylight-saving-time-year-round/70004366

I like that it will be light later......but...like teatime....I too am an early riser and look forward to daylight.....sigh...soon enough though it will be daylight 5:30ish.
Also, I love my atomic clocks that change automatically.!

I'm in the minority here but I love it and with we had it here year round. But I'm in AL and here on central time in the dead of winter it's dark by 5:00pm. I like for it to be daylight till 7:00 pm like it will be today! Happy dance!

I missed it! For some strange reason, whenever we change time - backward or forward - I wake up in time to watch the digital clock radio automatically change to the new DST. I slept right through it in the wee hours and didn't wake up until 4:30AM to go to the bathroom.

I don't care if we have DST or leave it alone, as long as we do not have to change back and forth twice a year.
. . .
5 ways life would be better with all year DST:
https://www.rawstory.com/2019/03/5-ways-life-better-always-daylight-saving-time/

1) The evening rush hour is twice as fatal as the morning for various reasons: Far more people are on the road, more alcohol is in drivers’ bloodstreams, people are hurrying to get home and more children are enjoying outdoor, unsupervised play. Fatal vehicle-on-pedestrian crashes increase threefold when the sun goes down.

2) Criminals strongly prefer to do their work in the darkness of evening and night. Crime rates are lower by 30 percent in the morning to afternoon hours, even when those morning hours occur before sunrise, when it’s still dark.

3) saves energy: Having more sun in the evening requires not just less electricity to provide lighting, but reduces the amount of oil and gas required to heat homes and businesses when people need that energy most. Under standard time, the sun rises earlier, reducing morning energy consumption, but only half of Americans are awake to be able to use the sun.

4)
It wreaks havoc with people’s sleep cycles. Heart attacks increase 24 percent in the week after the U.S. “springs forward” in March. There’s even an uptick during the week in November when the clocks “fall back.”
If that’s not bad enough, a study from 2000 shows that the major financial market indexes NYSE, AMEX and NASDAQ average negative returns on the Monday trading day following both clock switches, presumably because of disrupted sleep cycles.

5) Finally, recreation and commerce flourish in daylight and are hampered by evening darkness.

Research shows that sunlight is far more important to Americans’ health, efficiency and safety in the early evening than it is in the early morning. That’s not to say there aren’t downsides to DST – notably, an extra hour of morning darkness.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back