Found Deceased UT - Sandra Matott, 37, Salt Lake City, 10 July 1979

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score

SL County Jail Booking Photo - 01/28/1979

Sandra Louise Matott
Nickname/alias: Sandra Bray, Sandra Haymes, Sandra Timmons
Salt Lake County, Utah
37 year old white female

Height: 60.0 to 65.0
Weight: 100.0 to 125.0
Hair: Black
Eyes: Hazel

Scar on chest that runs from the left continuing in a line around to the back / Mole on back.

Wore upper & lower dentures but did not have them with her at the time of her disappearance.

Clothing and accessories are described below:
Last seen wearing a white top, green slacks, white bra, and checkered underwear.
White Shoes.
Ring with turquoise stone & watch (unknown description).

Unknown Circumstances

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/19980/14?current_page=physical_characteristics

http://www.slcpd.com/1979/07/10/sandra-matott/

Please help find more info on Sandra's case.

Matott is a married name from her marriage to Warren Matott, from whom she was divorced in 1973. There is a family tree on Ancestry which shows the marriage to Matott and shows descendants. Unfortunately her only child by her first marriage to Timmons (a daughter) died in 2016 and was predeceased by her 2 sons (Sandra's grandsons). But Sandra does have a living great grandchild.The family tree also has a picture of a younger Sandra showing her as a very pretty late teenager (I would guess).
attachment.php

Ancestry also has her shown in another family tree which says she had a daughter with Matott and two daughters from a marriage to Larry Bray - but the details show as private meaning that, if the tree is accurate, they are still living.

Attachments

• sandra haymes.jpg
    sandra haymes.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 770
What do you think about this as a potential? I can't see the rulouts in the UID's case but there are a lot of similarities. www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/ut-millard-co-whtfem-up63967-pre-40-skeletal-in-a-shallow-grave-under-a-juniper-tree-aug79.494378/#post-15691777

I think it's an excellent suggestion. Everything fits very good.

The only thing is Sandra had a compound fracture of her right leg when she was four, where Jane Doe didn't have broken bones. (A compound fracture is an injury in which a broken bone pierces the skin, causing a risk of infection)

I'm not sure, but wouldn't a broken bone have been noticeable in the remains or could it be, considering the young age she had and healed, it was overlooked.

I think it's an excellent suggestion. Everything fits very good......
I'm not sure, but wouldn't a broken bone have been noticeable in the remains or could it be, considering the young age she had and healed, it was overlooked.

That's something I wondered about. The PMI wasn't so long that that bones would have deteriorated. Then again Namus has very little in it; most of the case information quoted in the UID thread is extracted from media articles of the time.

Sandra Louise Matott
B7D40419-AE67-4842-A7F2-CD148DCF4EEF.png 584CCB03-6B5F-45EE-8B5E-0E1B993C55EA.png
Missing Since: July 10, 1979
Missing From: Salt Lake City, Utah
Classification: Missing
Sex/Race: Female/White
Nicknames/Aliases: Sandra Bray, Sandra Haymes, Sandra Timmons
Date of Birth: June 27, 1942
Height: 5'4”
Weight: 114 pounds
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Hazel

Distinguishing Characteristics: A mole on her back, and a scar running from the left side of her chest around to her back from lung surgery. She sustained a compound fracture of her right leg at age four. She needs upper and lower dentures, but wasn't wearing them at the time of her disappearance

Clothing/Jewelry Description: A white top, green slacks, white shoes, a white bra, checkered underpants, a watch, and a ring with a turquoise-colored stone.

Details of Disappearance
Matott was last seen in Salt Lake City, Utah on July 10, 1979. She has never been heard from again. Few details are available in her case.

Investigating Agency
Salt Lake City Police Department 801-799-3454

Unidentified Person Exclusions per NamUs:
UP6482 12/30/1979 Frederick VA
UP8579 01/25/1981 Hanover VA
UP6259 04/22/1981 Lawrence OH
UP6796 11/18/1985 Alleghany VA
UP6947 09/03/1986 Salt Lake UT
UP6629 02/03/1991 Frederick VA
UP6661 02/03/1991 Stafford VA
UP6279 12/18/1996 Fairfax VA
UP6303 01/26/1997 Warren VA
UP12683 06/06/2014 Newport News VA

Sandra Haymes (1942-Unknown) - Find A Grave... date of passing away unknown, stated as missing. As far as I could tell her 3 brothers (one of them passed away as a newborn) and 1 sister are deceased by now. One of her brothers isn't on this file, but according to FamilySearch he passed away in the late 90's.

She had 8 siblings according to her mothers 2008 obituary (Obituary for Marva Brown Clontz | Lindquist Mortuaries and Cemeteries, Farmington, UT). At that time 2 siblings had already died and, 2 more have since died - but that means 4 siblings are still alive (as well as children).

I am one of her living sisters. She was arrested for shooting her ex husband. He survived and she was on probation at the time of her disappearance, and had moved back in with him. This all sounds promising. She also didn't like wearing her false teeth, it was not unusual to see her without them.

Hello nvarney,
If you would consider becoming a "verified insider" for her case, you could then provide us with more information without having to provide media links. Otherwise your posts could be removed as rumor. (Rules are strict on this site compared to other sites, but it's to protect everyone involved.) Here is more information about becoming verified. Of course, it's your choice.

I am sorry that your sister has been missing for so long.

Verified Professional and Insider Members

Hello, I am also a sister to Sandra. I don't know where the middle name of Louise came from. She has no middle name. There is a memorial stone for her, next to our mother, so that her children have some place to go to mourn or celeberate their mothers life. She is a missing person with no death date available. We love our sister and pray that some day she will be found.

What do you think about this as a potential? I can't see the rulouts in the UID's case but there are a lot of similarities. www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/ut-millard-co-whtfem-up63967-pre-40-skeletal-in-a-shallow-grave-under-a-juniper-tree-aug79.494378/#post-15691777

Following my posts upthread on 5 Jan 2020 I submitted this possible match to Namus with the following reasoning:

Sandra missing 10 July 1979 – Decedent found 19 August 1979
Sandra 37 yo – Decedent estimated under 40yo
Dental: Sandra wore dentures but did not take them with her / unidentified wore dentures these were not with the remains
Jewellery: Sandra wore a ring w/turquoise stone and a watch / media at the time reported the decedent found with ring w/green stone and a watch (this information does not appear in Namus public view)
Sandra missing from Salt Lake City. Decedent found approx. 2 hours drive south, off an I-15 exit. I-15 connects the two locations.

Some possible differences:
Black vs brown hair
Height: Sandra 1” different to the estimated UID height
Features: Sandra had a broken right leg as a 4yo child (I understand these breaks, if minor, can be very hard to detect in adults).

I have had no feedback - is anyone able to see on either UP63967 or Sandra's Namus files whether they have been compared/ruled out? I'm offshore and can't have an account as I'm not in the US.

I just checked NamUs. The UID is not listed as a rule out for Sandra. And Sandra is not listed as a rule out for the UID either.

Sandra's NamUs page was last updated on 9/9/2020, but I don't see what exactly was updated. The UID's page was last updated on 10/12/2020.

I definitely think this match is worth following up on. Did you submit the match to Doe Network or somewhere else?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back