CA CA - Bettina Antone, 44, Redding, 29 Mar 1980

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score

Bettina Minnie Antone
Nickname/Alias: Tina, Betty Antone, Bettina Minna Antone, M. Tina Armstrong
Shasta County, California
44 year old white female

Height: 63 inches
Weight: 120 lbs

Hair: Black
Left eye: Blue
Right eye: Black

Mole L Cheek; Surgery Scar lower back

Pierced ears

prior fractures in arm and leg

Circumstances:

On April 1,1980, Tina called a family member to say she was going camping in the Clear Creek area of Redding, CA with two male friends. An entry in her calendar said she was going hiking in the Lassen Park area. Tina left personal belongings and her vehicle behind and has not been seen nor heard from since. Tina wears prescription glasses and has pierced ears. Tina is considered at risk due to health issues.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/17784/21

Please help find more info on Bettina's case.

Antone seems to be her married name. Ancestry shows Bettina Armstrong (as per her alias) marrying Carl Dennis Antone in Reno in August 1972. It also shows the divorce of Carl D Antone from Bettina Davis in Shasta, California in June 1975. Where the Davis comes from I do not know but I presume it is the same couple. Bettina continued to use the Antone name as she is shown in City Directories for Redding in Ancestry as Bettina Antone in 1977, 1978 and 1979.

I think she may have been born as Bettina Minnie Davis in Butte, California on 21 February 1936 (from an Ancestry birth record). The Armstrong would come from her first marriage to Clifton A Armstrong, from whom she was divorced in 1967 in Butte. Bettina had at least 4 siblings - Ray Edwin, Juanita Marie, Arden Dale and Alberta Lee Davis, all born in Butte to a mother with the same maiden name as Bettina's (Warner). Ray died in 1984. I do not know what happened to the other siblings.

My name is Shaunta Marie Behney GEDmatch# BX7355891. Bettina is my grandmother. She was born Bettina Minnie Davis on Feb 21 1936 in Chico, CA. Her first husband Clifton Alex Armstrong is my grandfather. Her second husband was Carl Antone. She had 6 siblings in total, 3 have passed. Her surviving siblings, daughter and grandchildren all live in CA and two grandchildren live in NC. My family tree can be found on Ancestry as Behney/Armstrong Family Tree

Attachments

• 58978319_2287833054593552_4573912159016189952_n.jpg
    58978319_2287833054593552_4573912159016189952_n.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 23
  • bettina_minnie_antone_2.jpg
    bettina_minnie_antone_2.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 22
  • bettina_minnie_antone_3.jpg
    bettina_minnie_antone_3.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Welcome to Websleuths, Shaunta Marie! Thank you for giving us more info about your grandmother. DNA is solving so many cold cases these days, you are smart to upload yours to GED match. I hope Bettina will be located someday soon so your family can have resolution.

Bettina Minnie Antone
Nickname/Alias: Tina, Betty Antone, Bettina Minna Antone, M. Tina Armstrong
Shasta County, California
44 year old white female

Height: 63 inches
Weight: 120 lbs

Hair: Black
Left eye: Blue
Right eye: Black

Mole L Cheek; Surgery Scar lower back

Pierced ears

prior fractures in arm and leg

Circumstances:

On April 1,1980, Tina called a family member to say she was going camping in the Clear Creek area of Redding, CA with two male friends. An entry in her calendar said she was going hiking in the Lassen Park area. Tina left personal belongings and her vehicle behind and has not been seen nor heard from since. Tina wears prescription glasses and has pierced ears. Tina is considered at risk due to health issues.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Please help find more info on Bettina's case.

Here is her current NAMUS link without a redirect message: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

For some reason when NAMUS updated their website all the picture links here broke.

Original
Original
Original

Welcome to Websleuths, Shaunta Marie! Thank you for giving us more info about your grandmother. DNA is solving so many cold cases these days, you are smart to upload yours to GED match. I hope Bettina will be located someday soon so your family can have resolution.
Thank you, my family and I really do appreciate it. Is there any tips you could offer as to other things i should do or be doing to search for her. I have uploaded both mine and my mothers (bettina's daughter) Dna to gedmatch, ftdna, myheritage, geni and we have also taken 23andme and ancestry tests. Thanks again, Shaunta

Thank you, my family and I really do appreciate it. Is there any tips you could offer as to other things i should do or be doing to search for her. I have uploaded both mine and my mothers (bettina's daughter) Dna to gedmatch, ftdna, myheritage, geni and we have also taken 23andme and ancestry tests. Thanks again, Shaunta

One thing I can think of that it would be good is to get a reporter or a missing person's podcaster to cover her case in more detail. Get out the information to wider audience and request tips from anyone who knew her.

Some questions I had off the top of my head reading her NAMUS file:

Do police know the names of the 2 men she said she was going camping with? Don't name them here if it's known but it would be helpful to know if they were known to police and whether they were suspects or not.
Did police suspect foul play or do they think she simply got lost in the woods?
Is there evidence she went hiking? Was this a common thing for her to do or out of the ordinary?
Were there ever extensive searches of the Lassen Park area for her/her remains?
What were her health issues?
Is it a possibility she lived among the homeless population for a while?
What other places does she have a connection to?
Might she have tried to go somewhere familiar to her?
Did she really have 2 different color eyes or is that a typo? (NAMUS says one eye was blue and the other was black).
Any other distinguishing features that are not mentioned in her file? It looks like one of her teeth was chipped or grew at an angle? but it's hard to tell from the small photo.
Are there any additional photos of her?

Last edited:
Another suggestion, if you are not squeamish, I would suggest searching through unidentified remains cases.
A couple different resources are NAMUS: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) and Doe Network: Doe Network: International Center For Missing and Unidentified Persons

Be warned, however, that sometimes the files will have very graphic pictures of the deceased. Since they didn't collect DNA in 1980, it is a possibility your grandmother's body was found but has been unidentified all this time. If that is the case, it will take some one noticing the similarities between her and a Jane Doe and requesting a comparison.

Hello again, sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I have been busy getting to know this dna detective world. Okay so No her eye is not "black" both her eyes were blue. I have gotten no response when requesting this error be changed. They do know who one of the men were, he ended up going to prison for another crime and died, giving them nothing. Camping would have been slightly out of the norm for her. From what I can gather there was never a ground search for her. Her health issues were schizophrenia, multiple personality disorder, depression and alcoholism. She was never homeless and the ca hotel was a studio apartment. Her apartment was locked and when opened by management the lights and radio were on. Her car keys on counter, car in lot. Only thing gone was her purse/wallet. Her reports say she had dentures but I'm unsure of they were in fact full dentures or a partial etc. I believe they way the jane doe dna system is set up it is extremely likely shes been found and simply not compared. I have spent a long time researching namus account . Unidentified deceased and so on. Only one has ever stood out to me. The billy Mansfield flordia case

Attachments

• 54c94db55b1b0135c7b8bcf0c2bb727a.0.jpg
    54c94db55b1b0135c7b8bcf0c2bb727a.0.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20190630-175630_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20190630-175630_Facebook.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 15
Hello again, sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I have been busy getting to know this dna detective world. Okay so No her eye is not "black" both her eyes were blue. I have gotten no response when requesting this error be changed. They do know who one of the men were, he ended up going to prison for another crime and died, giving them nothing. Camping would have been slightly out of the norm for her. From what I can gather there was never a ground search for her. Her health issues were schizophrenia, multiple personality disorder, depression and alcoholism. She was never homeless and the ca hotel was a studio apartment. Her apartment was locked and when opened by management the lights and radio were on. Her car keys on counter, car in lot. Only thing gone was her purse/wallet. Her reports say she had dentures but I'm unsure of they were in fact full dentures or a partial etc. I believe they way the jane doe dna system is set up it is extremely likely shes been found and simply not compared. I have spent a long time researching namus account . Unidentified deceased and so on. Only one has ever stood out to me. The billy Mansfield flordia case

Welcome back. Thank you for all that info! Just knowing she had dentures is an important detail. Having dentures could rule out many Jane Does based on dental records.

I could not find a thread for that Unidentified case so I just created one: FL - FL - Hernando Co, WhtFem, 20-30, Weeki Wachee, UP12579, 3 Apr 1981

That Jane Doe (UP12579) has been discussed a bit in the other victim's thread (UP12589). I posted there to see if any members familiar with those cases has advice for you: FL - FL - Weeki Wachee, WhtFem UP12589, 20-30, SK victim, in shallow grave, Mar'81

Thank you, it went as expected. Spent couple hours at Shasta County Courthouse waiting in line and for them to research cause they didnt know exactly what I needed (petition to declare deceased/appoint executor/access medical). Tried to research microfilm at the library. Will need to go back and plan to be there all day. Waited an hour at police department then told investigator wasn't available but I left the info for him and pics so hopefully something comes of it.

Our Jane Doe from the Mansfield case in most likely 20 to 30 for this one. I know she was in FL at the time of her murder. I would submit your request to NAMUS, they are very good at doing comparisons, but it takes time for them to get back to you. Hope this helps.

NAMUS will have a new profile for her soon. She is 16 to 19 years old and 5'1 to 5'6. USF Erin Kimmerly did a new composite drawing for her too that will be post soon. She did an awesome job on this UID girl. I don't want to post it, until NAMUS has it.

I was on another thread and came across the following Jane Doe and was reminded of Bettina. I was glad to see she had family searching for her and so actively assisting. @Shaunta Marie I’m sincerely sorry that your grandmother has been missing for so long and hope that you’re able to find answers about where she is and what may have happened to her.

I’m not sure what all might be known outside of this thread and what’s been publicly released, but there could be some details about this particular Jane Doe that can be answered here if she is Bettina.

For reference and convenience, here are links to both cases...
Bettina
3F927440-3478-4AB8-B095-7DADAC67F678.jpeg
Jane Doe
BF385311-3497-4BEA-82D8-C17330E0829E.jpeg

Attachments

• 8717CA5D-CDC5-4E62-8459-1FFAFC5F61E5.jpeg
    8717CA5D-CDC5-4E62-8459-1FFAFC5F61E5.jpeg
    245.8 KB · Views: 13

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online