UK - Kiara Moore, 2, died in car in River Teifi, Cardigan, Wales, 19 March 2018

CoverMeCagney

Reaction score
This is tragic...

A child has died after being recovered from a car found in a river after a woman said her vehicle had been taken with her daughter inside.

Kiara Moore, two, died at the University Hospital of Wales in Cardiff after being rescued from the River Teifi in Cardigan, Ceredigion, on Monday.

A woman had earlier reported to police that her car had been taken with her child still in the back.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-43468076

Looking at the pic of the Scout Hall, there is a ramp down to the water. Could the car have just rolled in?

Thats what I thought, maybe the handbrake failed. An article in The Mirror has the word stolen in inverted commas and the quote from the police is that aren't looking for anyone else in connection. Poor little girl, so sad.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/hero-police-officers-jumped-river-12217612

It happened at 3:30pm, was Kiara having a nap (maybe after being at nursery) and they left her to sleep, and the brake failed? Or left the engine running for warmth and someone took it? Having had a wander down there on Streetview I can imagine it would feel a safe enough place to pop back into the office for a couple of minutes.

A two-year-old girl has died in freezing waters after being trapped in a car when it silently rolled down a slipway after her mother parked it to go into her office.

Her father, Jet Moore, has now confirmed the car rolled into the river outside his outdoor activity centre - before police dived in to try to save the youngster. The 40-year-old wrote on Facebook: "They got in the car to go home. Sat on bank card which snapped and needed money to get home etc. Went back to the office to get money from the desk and came back to no car. Looked in the river No signs. So we thought she and the car had been taken. The police found the car a while later and went way beyond the call of duty jumping in and pulling her out."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5520049/Girl-three-rescued-RIVER.html#ixzz5AHqMN3ao
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

A two-year-old girl has died in freezing waters after being trapped in a car when it silently rolled down a slipway after her mother parked it to go into her office.

Her father, Jet Moore, has now confirmed the car rolled into the river outside his outdoor activity centre - before police dived in to try to save the youngster. The 40-year-old wrote on Facebook: "They got in the car to go home. Sat on bank card which snapped and needed money to get home etc. Went back to the office to get money from the desk and came back to no car. Looked in the river No signs. So we thought she and the car had been taken. The police found the car a while later and went way beyond the call of duty jumping in and pulling her out."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5520049/Girl-three-rescued-RIVER.html#ixzz5AHqMN3ao
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Omg this poor family! :( What a tragic accident :(.

In hindsight I wouldn't have put this in "crimes in the news". Apologies.

Edit: Actually, I wouldn't have posted it at all :cry:

Thanks for starting thread, Cagney. I started seeing articles appear last night about Kiara and it seemed a confused picture, as usual perhaps in early stages of reporting. It seemed highly unlikely, though not impossible of course that someone would steal a car in this area and then deliberately drive it into the river with a small child but this was the way it was being presented last night. Because of all the Facebook posts I suppose. A lot of "..." in the media did seem to suggest that the police and media were sceptical about this.

Does seem a lot more likely that this was an accident where maybe time was lost due to misinterpretation of what had happened initially. Perhaps unfortunately Kiara was left unattended in the car for some time and the handbrake failed or the ground was extra slippery/icy due to the weather conditions currently. Mr. Moore is now stating that she was in the car alone as a bank card had snapped after being sat on and whoever was with Kiara went back to building to get cash "to get home".

Slipways have led to so many tragedies. Rest in peace Kiara. Hope the inquest gets to the bottom of the exact circumstances of this.

Thanks for starting thread, Cagney. I started seeing articles appear last night about Kiara and it seemed a confused picture, as usual perhaps in early stages of reporting. It seemed highly unlikely, though not impossible of course that someone would steal a car in this area and then deliberately drive it into the river with a small child but this was the way it was being presented last night. Because of all the Facebook posts I suppose. A lot of "..." in the media did seem to suggest that the police and media were sceptical about this.

Does seem a lot more likely that this was an accident where maybe time was lost due to misinterpretation of what had happened initially. Perhaps unfortunately Kiara was left unattended in the car for some time and the handbrake failed or the ground was extra slippery/icy due to the weather conditions currently. Mr. Moore is now stating that she was in the car alone as a bank card had snapped after being sat on and whoever was with Kiara went back to building to get cash "to get home".

Slipways have led to so many tragedies. Rest in peace Kiara. Hope the inquest gets to the bottom of the exact circumstances of this.

Time to install those retractable bollards at the bottom of slipways I think

There is no need to regret starting this thread for little Kiara @ Cags.
The reported news led with a child missing after being absconded in stolen car, that is all there was to know at first.
Such a tragic, tragic accident. Impossible to lay blame for these terrible circumstances.
Thoughts with the family.

There is no need to regret starting this thread for little Kiara @ Cags.
The reported news led with a child missing after being absconded in stolen car, that is all there was to know at first.
Such a tragic, tragic accident. Impossible to lay blame for these terrible circumstances.
Thoughts with the family.

Thank you, Jessie, I've requested it be moved into a more appropriate category.

I feel so bad for her mummy, I just can't imagine how she is coping. It's really upsetting.

heartbreaking :(
I hope someone will advise the Dad to make his facebook private...people are tearing strips off him.

There is something very, very odd about this story. I suspect a different version of events will emerge in the next few days.

There is something very, very odd about this story. I suspect a different version of events will emerge in the next few days.
I'm afraid I agree. I sincerely hope I'm wrong. The police want witnesses for a window of an hour and 20 minutes, which suggests to me that they wonder if it happened earlier than was reported.

I can see how an accident like this could happen, but I do think it odd that the parents leaned towards theft rather than it having rolled down the slope.

I just feel so sorry for Kiara, and I wonder if there's a chance that she didn't know anything about it. Can one drown in one's sleep?

heartbreaking :(
I hope someone will advise the Dad to make his facebook private...people are tearing strips off him.

Indeed, I don't think Facebook is doing the family here any favours, maybe just me but a couple of Mr. Moore's posts come across as inappropriate under the circumstances. This incident does need careful investigation, which it looks like it's going to get.

Indeed, I don't think Facebook is doing the family here any favours, maybe just me but a couple of Mr. Moore's posts come across as inappropriate under the circumstances. This incident does need careful investigation, which it looks like it's going to get.

Definitely. I hope they find a witness.

There are a few things that bother me.

1. The story is that the mother sat on a bank card and it ‘snapped’, making it necessary to go inside the building for more money. Bank cards do not snap when sat upon. Ever.
2. No caring parent leaves a two-year-old alone in a car for 20mins. And they certainly do not leave the handbrake off when their two-year-old is in a parked car on a slope leading to a river.
3. The comments published by the parents since the incident seem too measured and matter-of-fact. As if it’s just one of those things. Hey ho. They do not sound like the comments of grieving parents, but rather parents who want to be seen to be grieving.

I’ve no idea what actually happened to this poor little girl, but I don't think this was an accident.

There are a few things that bother me.

1. The story is that the mother sat on a bank card and it ‘snapped’, making it necessary to go inside the building for more money. Bank cards do not snap when sat upon. Ever.
2. No caring parent leaves a two-year-old alone in a car for 20mins. And they certainly do not leave the handbrake off when their two-year-old is in a parked car on a slope leading to a river.
3. The comments published by the parents since the incident seem too measured and matter-of-fact. As if it’s just one of those things. Hey ho. They do not sound like the comments of grieving parents, but rather parents who want to be seen to be grieving.

I’ve no idea what actually happened to this poor little girl, but I don't think this was an accident.
I agree. I think the card could have snapped but it sounds to me like a needlessly embellished story, which suggests that it's completely made up. Why not just say she had to pop in to get cash, which she had forgotten? Why feel the need to give strange details?

Where did you get twenty minutes from? Is that in a news report? If so, it is far too long to be just popping I'm for cash, especially with a toddler in the car.

Too many other things don't make sense. You would surely assume that the car had rolled down and would keep diving in the water to check? Surely you wouldn't think theft to be more likely?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back