FL FL - Annette 11, & Mylette Anderson 7, Jacksonville, 1 August 1974

Romulus

Ivan
Reaction score
Annette Anderson & Mylette Anderson

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/42655/6/

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/42654/7/

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...-FL-1974&highlight=Mylette+Josephine+Anderson

http://missingchildren.wikia.com/wiki/Lillian_and_Mylette_Anderson

Annette and her sister (Mylette) were left home alone at approximately 6pm while their mother went to check on a sick relative. The mother called to check on Annette and Mylette at 7pm and were fine. When their father arrived home at 7:20pm, Annette and Mylette were nowhere to be found.

cache.php
cache.php

From Charley Project:

Details of Disappearance

Annette and her sister, Mylette, disappeared from Jacksonville, Florida on August 1, 1974. Their mother and older sister left them alone at home at approximately 6:00 p.m., while she went to care for a sick relative. Their mother called them at 7:00 p.m. to check on the children and everything was normal during the conversation, but when their aunt called later, no one answered the phone.

The girls' father, a commercial fisherman, was supposed to arrive home from work at 7:00 p.m., but he got delayed by twenty minutes due to a faulty boat motor. When he did get home, Annette and Mylette were nowhere to be found.

Neighbors said they saw a white car in the driveway of the Anderson residence sometime during 6:00 and 7:00 p.m., but nobody saw anything suspicious and no one saw the girls leave. Nothing was missing from the house except a baby doll Mylette owned.

The doors to the home were shut, but not locked, and there were no indications of forced entry. The family's small dog, which usually had the run of the house, was shut up in a bedroom. Mylette and Lillian were never heard from again.

That year several young girls between six and twelve disappeared from the Jacksonville area. The first was Jean Marie Schoen. Virginia Suzanne Helm vanished on September 27, and Rebecca Ann Greene disappeared on October 12.

Virginia's partially clothed body was found in a shallow grave a month after her disappearance; she had been shot in the head. Rebecca's skeletal remains were found three years later, washed up on the shore of Little Fort George Island at the mouth of the St. Johns River. Both girls were twelve years old when they died. Jean's body and the Anderson sisters' remains were never found.

Because the abductions happened in different parts of the city, authorities don't believe they are related. Investigators theorize Annette and Mylette were killed by Paul John Knowles, a serial murderer who was killed by police later in 1974. A photo of him is posted with this case summary.

After his death, they found tape recordings where Knowles said he'd abducted two girls matching the descriptions of the Anderson sisters, killed them and buried them in a remote area at the west end of Commonwealth Avenue. The children's father subsequently filed a wrongful death suit against his estate.

Annette and Mylette were both students at Louis Sheffield Elementary in 1974. Their cases remain unsolved.

http://charleyproject.org/case/lillian-annette-anderson

Annette and Mylette Anderson were taken from their Jacksonville home on August 1, 1974 -- less than two weeks after Jeanie's disappearance. https://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?53017-FL-Jean-Schoen-9-Jacksonville-21-July-1974

Annette was just 11, and her little sister Mylette, just 6. They were left alone only briefly when their mother and their older sister went to visit a sick sister.

Their father was headed home after a day of fishing.

He even called home and spoke to the girls to check on them at 7 p.m. Jack could hear the dog barking in the background of the phone call, but Annette assured him the dog is barking at birds in the front yard.

When their father called again at 7:20 p.m. no one answered the phone. Police believe that in this short 20-minute window the girls went missing.

The girls' father returned home to find the family dog locked in a back bedroom and Mylette's favorite doll - the one she carried everywhere - also missing.

Volunteers and officials searched for the girls for days. A local paper reports that more than 100 square miles were searched in an effort to find them. Some witnesses said they saw the girls in the days following their disappearance. Some said they saw the girls riding around in a pickup truck, another said they saw the girls picking up bottles in a schoolyard.

But neighbors said they saw a white car in the driveway of the Anderson home around the time the girls went missing.

Their sister believes whoever took her sisters must have had some plan because the family lived on a secluded road with only one way in or out.

The first mention of a serial killer in this series of disappearances comes up in the Anderson Sisters Case. John Paul Knowles was a known serial killer in Northeast Florida at the time. He was killed as he attempted to escape prison.

Before he attempted to escape he wrote a letter about some of his victims and claimed that he was responsible for the disappearance and murder of the Anderson sisters. He said he left their bodies at the end of Commonwealth, but police scoured the area and never found either of the girls.

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/arti...nd-the-tumultuous-summer-of-1974/77-551200984

Thursday marks 45 years since two Jacksonville sisters, Mylette and Annette Anderson mysteriously disappeared.

Mylette, 6, and Lillian "Annette," 11, went missing on Aug. 1, 1974. Around 6 p.m., they were left alone at their Oceanway home while their mother, Elizabeth Anderson, and their sister, Donna Anderson, went to care for a sick relative, according to our news partners, the Florida Times-Union.

...SBM

"Whoever went in the house would have to put the little dog up in Mommy and Dadd's bedroom because he would eat them up because he was so attached to Annette," Donna said. "So badly."

Donna believes that whoever took her sisters had some kind of plan because the family lived on a secluded, single road.

Mylette and Annette's disappearance coincides with a series of disappearances that happened in the span of three months in 1974 where a total of five young girls vanished. Two of the girls' bodies -- 12-year-olds Virginia Helm and Rebecca Greene -- were found, but no arrests were made.

Elizabeth and Jack Anderson died before ever finding out what happened to their daughters.

...SBM

Knowles claimed that he killed two girls who matched Mylette and Annette's descriptions and buried them in Commonwealth. When police searched the area, however, they wound up empty.

"I can't say that he is responsible for this," Sgt. Dan Janson, with the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office's Homicide Unit, told First Coast News last year. "I am leaning toward he is not. It is a false confession just based on some of the facts that we know about this case."

Janson said Knowles was known for embellishing the number of victims he had for shock value.

Knowles died in 1974 after he attempted to shoot a Georgia sheriff. A Georgia Bureau of Investigation agent fatally shot him as a result, according to CBS News.

Mylette would have been 51 years old today. Annette would have been 56.

If you have any information about their disappearance, call the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children at 1-800-THE-LOST or JSO at 904-630-0500.

45 YEARS LATER: Still no answers in disappearance of Jacksonville sisters

Thursday marks 45 years since two Jacksonville sisters, Mylette and Annette Anderson mysteriously disappeared...
... Mylette and Annette's disappearance coincides with a series of disappearances that happened in the span of three months in 1974 where a total of five young girls vanished. Two of the girls' bodies -- 12-year-olds Virginia Helm and Rebecca Greene -- were found, but no arrests were made...
... Knowles claimed that he killed two girls who matched Mylette and Annette's descriptions and buried them in Commonwealth. When police searched the area, however, they wound up empty.

"I can't say that he is responsible for this," Sgt. Dan Janson, with the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office's Homicide Unit, told First Coast News last year. "I am leaning toward he is not. It is a false confession just based on some of the facts that we know about this case."

Janson said Knowles was known for embellishing the number of victims he had for shock value.

Knowles died in 1974 after he attempted to shoot a Georgia sheriff. A Georgia Bureau of Investigation agent fatally shot him as a result...

There are quite a few references to Serial Killer Paul John Knowles in Websleuths threads.

Paul John Knowles (1946-1974) often traveled Highway 75 from Florida to Georgia. In 1965, he kidnapped a police officer and got 5 years. By 1967, he was paroled and soon back in prison the same year. In 1970, he was again out on parole, and was loose until 1972 when he was again sentenced to prison.

In May 1974, he was again released on parole and in July of that same year, he began a three state killing binge of 18 to 20 victims. In September 1974, he was captured in Georgia, and in December 1974, he was shot while attempting to escape.

His story was detailed in a book by an English woman named Sandy Fawkes who traveled with him and knew him in 1974.

LINK:

Natural Born Killer: In Love and on the Road with a Serial Killer by Sandy Fawkes

Interesting and sad thread :( I had never heard of Paul John Knowles so I started with Wikipedia. The number of people he killed in a very short span in 1974 is unimaginable!

I understand that Wiki is not always accurate and it certainly makes no claim to be but found it interesting that Annette and Mylette are "listed" as victims of his. It also states the following:

"On the street where he intended to abandon the car, Knowles recognized family acquaintances Lillian and Mylette Anderson. Lillian was eleven years old and her sister Mylette was seven. In fear that they would identify him, he kidnapped them both, strangled them, and buried their bodies in a nearby swamp"

Their bodies have still never been found so take it with a grain of salt.

Link: Paul John Knowles - Wikipedia

Sounds like Jonelle Matthew's abduction... Home alone, limited amount of time.

Interesting tidbit... (Though I am in no way insinuating it is suspicious) the “Find A Grave” link to both girls’ mother indicates she (the mother) had several “foster” children/relatives.

These poor sweet girls! :(

I just posted on an UIDs thread - Palm Beach, found August 1974... seemed like a possible match to Lillian Annette, until I realized I had the MP’s DLC and UID’s date of discovery mixed up.

I think it’s worth posting a few photos of the girls...to refresh this thread...

Is it me or just a bad picture, a stain...It looks like the little sister (Mylette) has somehow a deformed hand.

"In the mix" there is always a serial killer around.....and I don't say it wasn't him....but I keep an open mind...and most of them are narcissists and pathetic liars.....claiming all kinds of killings....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back