WV WV - Juanita Reedy, 39, Beckley, 9 Nov 1979

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
cache.php

Juanita Reedy W/F 5'2" tall 130 pounds, Brown hair & Brown Eyes, DOB 9/28/1943.
Raleigh County, West Virginia
39 year old white female
Mole below right eyebrow. Scar on Chin

Clothing:
BLACK SLACKS, BEIGE SHIRT, MAR00N LEATHER BLAZER 0R BLUE AND WHITE SKI JACKET

Nine days later her car was found at Pipestem stripped and burned.

Juanita Reedy was rumored to last be seen on November 9, 1979 on Valley Drive in Beckley, West Virginia.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/13242/

Juanita Reedy
juanita_reedy_1.jpg

Reedy, circa 1979

• Missing Since 11/09/1979
  • Missing From Beckley, West Virginia
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 09/28/1943 (76)
  • Age 36 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'2, 130 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A maroon leather blazer or blue and white ski jacket, a beige shirt and black slacks.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Reedy has a mole below her right eyebrow and a scar on her chin.
Details of Disappearance

Reedy was reportedly last seen on November 9, 1979 on Valley Drive in Beckley, West Virginia. Her car was found in Pipestem, West Virginia on November 18, nine days after her disappearance. It had been stripped and burned. There was no evidence at the scene to indicate a crime and no sign of Reedy.

She has never been heard from again and her Social Security number has not been used since 1979.

Investigating Agency
  • Beckley Police Department 304-256-1708
  • Raleigh County Sheriff's Department 304-255-9121
Source Information

I am wondering if Reedy was her married name. My reasons are;
  • In 1960 a Donald McGruer Reedy married Juanita Lewis in Boone, WV (very near Beckley.
  • There is a WW2 enlistment record giving Vida Mcgurer Reedy as the wife of Charles Edward Reedy. These Reedys lived in Ohio.
  • In 1985 Vida Reedy died in Ohio and her obituary says "Survived by son Donald M. Reedy; grandchildren Douglas and Kimberly Reedy, all of Berkley, W. Va."
I assume Berkley is a typo for Beckley, since WV does not seem to have a Berkley.

The only Juanita Lewis I can find whose birthdate fits was born 28/9/1942 in Bell, Kentucky to Zilpha Lewis. Although the MP sites give the birth year as 1943 this is not a problem. The MP sites seem to be wrong as there are multiple entries in the US Public Records Index for Juanita Reedy in Shady Springs WV (right next to Beckley) which give it as 28/9/1942. But whether it is the same person as that born in Kentucky I do not know. A possible connection lies in the common industry of coal mining.

Not sure this takes us further forward, but it may fill in a few gaps for further research.

Looks a bit like Ms. Wiggins to me. Wonder if she had any kids?

Attachments

• wiggins.jpg
    wiggins.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 2
newspaperarchive.com

Berkley Register Herald, March 28, 1987, pg 6 - this article indicates 5K was withdrawn from the joint bank account on the last day she was seen

1660012504290.png

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back