CANADA Karen EWANCIW, 11, Edmonton, Alberta, 23 April 1975

dotr

Reaction score
http://www.edmontonpolice.ca/CrimeFiles/Homicides/1970/KarenEwanicw.aspx
Karen EWANCIW

DOB/Age: 11 yrs

EPS File #:75-032168

Karen was an 11 year old girl who went missing on April 23, 1975 in the river valley area near McNally High School (84 St/105 Ave). Her body was discovered on April 24th in the same area.
There is a reward of up to $40,000 for information leading to the arrest of the person(s) responsible for this homicide.

Nov 2012, lengthy article.
http://edmontonsun.com/2012/11/02/f...ater/wcm/ff69e25f-146d-4f64-8419-9c22bb2f8ff3
[h=1]Frozen in fear: Friend of Edmonton victim fears killer four decades later[/h] Pamela Roth
The densely wooded ravine wasn’t a place the two best friends that were inseparable would usually hang out, but on this particular day they agreed it was where they would head after school.

Shelley noticed some unusual things the moment the pair entered the ravine from the top of the hill by McNally High School. They came across a *advertiser censored* magazine beside the path, then cotton balls that appeared to have blood on them. But they continued to walk deeper into the woods.

The pair noticed a massive spruce tree that had a beautiful upside down cross sitting at its base. Shelley immediately got a creepy feeling and warned Karen not to touch the cross, but her friend was drawn towards it.

"I told her not to touch it, begging her, almost to the point where I’m in tears," said Shelley. "I just knew by the feeling that it was giving me that it was pure evil and don’t touch this cross. She didn’t listen to me. She picked it up and wanted to keep it."
What happened next is something that’s haunted Shelley her entire life. She last saw Karen walking towards the main path that runs through the ravine. Then Karen suddenly disappeared.
It was eerily quiet. Not even the birds were chirping. Suddenly, there was a rush of wind and a frightened Shelley flew out of the ravine as fast as she could
Less than 24 hours after the two friends had wandered into the ravine, a jogger running through the area found Karen’s tiny five-foot-two, 85-pound body about 15 metres from the well-used foot path.

CHASED DOWN

She was lying on her face in a small wooded area. Her clothing had been violently stripped from her body during a vicious sexual assault and hung on low-lying branches — indicating to police the assailant had chased her down and dragged her into the shelter of trees.

An autopsy later confirmed Karen suffered a massive skull fracture during the savage attack.

This case appears frozen. I am finding next to nothing in regards to information. I honestly believe the magazine with "bloody cotton balls" had nothing to do with what happened to Karen. The cross she found also played no part. This is a densely wooded ravine, which is NEVER a good place to play in.

With what little I have read, my thoughts would be this - Karen and her friend are there to dump their flyers, which they shouldn't be doing and they know that. They don't want to be caught. However, I believe Karen sees someone and given the fact that she disregards her friend's calls, this is most likely someone she either knows or is familiar with. Someone in a position of power (even just someone in a uniform) would probably make her ashamed of what she is doing and she approaches that person expecting to get scolded. Sadly, something completely different waits for her.

I would LOVE to know the exact location to get a good look of it. I am wondering how close to a road this is as she could have easily gotten into a vehicle, which would explain her friend and other classmate not seeing her leaving the ravine.

Someone ALWAYS knows ....

Karen EWANCIW

Karen EWANCIW

DOB/Age: 11 yrs
EPS File #:75-032168
Karen was an 11 year old girl who went missing on April 23, 1975 in the river valley area near McNally High School (84 St/105 Ave). Her body was discovered on April 24th in the same area.

There is a reward of up to $40,000 for information leading to the arrest of the person(s) responsible for this homicide.

If you have any information on this or any other crime, please contact the Edmonton Police Service Complaint Line at 780-423-4567 or the Edmonton Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or submit your tip online. Please reference the EPS file number when possible.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back