CA - Stephon Clark, 22, unarmed, fatally shot by Sacramento police, 18 March 2018

Tawny

Reaction score
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/22/us/sacramento-police-shooting/index.html

(CNN)Sacramento police officers shot and killed a black man in his grandmother's backyard because they believed he was pointing a gun at them, police said.

But investigators say they did not find a weapon at the scene, only a cellphone near the man's body.

--

I didn't see a thread about this so apologies if I missed it.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/23/us/sacramento-police-shooting-stephon-clark/index.html

(CNN)Stevante Clark says his 22-year-old brother was a devoted father who had recently changed his life, and he wasn't a thief.

Well be was busting out car windows for some reason. He has a record as well, that the media is conveniently ignoring, for the most part.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article206267059.html

Sunday night after two Sacramento Police Department officers responded to a call about car break-ins on 29th Street. The caller reported the suspect was a man wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and that he ran into a backyard.

A Sacramento County Sheriff's Department helicopter arrived to the scene to help with the call minutes later, and told two officers on the ground about a man in the backyard of a nearby home. A crew member described the suspect as picking up a "tool bar" and breaking the window of the home.

And does this make sense? Wouldn't knocking on the front door be easier?

His grandmother, Sequita Thompson, said she told family members to knock on a back window for entrance through the garage door.

Well be was busting out car windows for some reason. He has a record as well, that the media is conveniently ignoring, for the most part.

Sunday night after two Sacramento Police Department officers responded to a call about car break-ins on 29th Street. The caller reported the suspect was a man wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and that he ran into a backyard.

A Sacramento County Sheriff's Department helicopter arrived to the scene to help with the call minutes later, and told two officers on the ground about a man in the backyard of a nearby home. A crew member described the suspect as picking up a "tool bar" and breaking the window of the home.

His grandmother, Sequita Thompson, said she told family members to knock on a back window for entrance through the garage door.

What was he busting the car windows with? The "toolbar" that wasn't even found? (What is a toolbar anyway?) or maybe with his iPhone? Or maybe it wasn't him and the police were trigger happy.

What was he busting the car windows with? The "toolbar" that wasn't even found? (What is a toolbar anyway?) or maybe with his iPhone? Or maybe it wasn't him and the police were trigger happy.

Are the cops making up the busted windows?

the cops had a visual of him breaking a homes window And he was tracked from there. And what grown man hops fences for the heck of it? That's a pretty ballsy thing to do in Sacramento. Forget the cops, that could get you shot by a homeowner.

This sounds familiar:

A police department statement says: "Prior to the shooting, the involved officers saw the suspect facing them, advance forward with his arms extended, and holding an object in his hands. At the time of the shooting, the officers believed the suspect was pointing a firearm at them. After an exhaustive search, scene investigators did not locate any firearms. The only item found near the suspect was a cell phone."
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...ot-unarmed-black-man-in-grandparents-backyard

LE should be able to tell the difference between a firearm and a cellphone. There's no excuse for this.

When confronted by police, it sounds like the prowler first ran away, and then decided to pull out his cell phone rather than raise his hands. Police said "stop, show me your hands", they pursued him some more, again called for him to show his hands. When he pulled something out of his pocket, rather than raise his hands, officers thought it was a gun and there are shots fired. Officers are trained to respond, not to give suspects time to check their pockets prior to showing their hands.

What exactly should the officers have done differently under the circumstances? What do the protestors want police to do differently?

https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/3/22/17151960/stephon-clark-sacramento-police-shooting-video

This sounds familiar:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...ot-unarmed-black-man-in-grandparents-backyard

LE should be able to tell the difference between a firearm and a cellphone. There's no excuse for this.

How? It was night, dark, they told the suspect to raise his hands and he ran, they told him to raise his hands again and he pulled something out of his pocket. There's no excuse for this man to run from police, nor for him to ignore police when they told him to stop and show his hands.

Yes, he was in his grandmother's back yard. Right after he jumped the fence into her yard, after running through other yards that night, and being tracked by a police helicopter.

Why was he running around at night and jumping backyard fences?

"Deputies in the helicopter said they witnessed that man break the back sliding glass door of the house with a "tool bar."

The helicopter then began filming the man in infrared. He can be seen jumping a fence into the next yard, which is where Clark was living.

Body camera footage then shows police confronting Clark in that driveway before chasing him into the backyard and shooting him dead."

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article206442339.html#storylink=cpy

With all due respect, you don't know from this article that the person that was shot was the person breaking into cars. This person was standing in his grandparents yard with a helicopter hovering overhead. Hearing that will draw people outside.

I don't often relate personal experiences but here is one -

A few years ago my daughter was renting a place nearby with some friends. She was home alone when a helicopter started circling overhead - after going outside she realized it was a police helicopter that was clearly looking for someone.

She was afraid and called me - she wanted to leave and come to my place (home?) but she was more afraid of being shot at by police if she innocently tried to leave what was clearly a police matter. I had her call the local non-emergency LE line to let them know she was leaving the area and in what vehicle - ie don't effing shoot at me.

She did that and told them she afraid and only then did LE realize how they might be alarming people and took steps to counter that by immediately contacting the neighbors to let them know what was going on - they were in fact chasing someone that fled LE when pulled over nearby. What if she tried to leave and LE mistook her for the person on the run?

What good is jumping to conclusions here?

With all due respect, you don't know from this article that the person that was shot was the person breaking into cars. This person was standing in his grandparents yard with a helicopter hovering overhead. Hearing that will draw people outside.

I don't often relate personal experiences but here is one -

A few years ago my daughter was renting a place nearby with some friends. She was home alone when a helicopter started circling overhead - after going outside she realized it was a police helicopter that was clearly looking for someone.

She was afraid and called me - she wanted to leave and come to my place (home?) but she was more afraid of being shot at by police if she innocently tried to leave what was clearly a police matter. I had her call the local non-emergency LE line to let them know she was leaving the area and in what vehicle - ie don't effing shoot at me.

She did that and told them she afraid and only then did LE realize how they might be alarming people and took steps to counter that by immediately contacting the neighbors to let them know what was going on - they were in fact chasing someone that fled LE when pulled over nearby. What if she tried to leave and LE mistook her for the person on the run?

What good is jumping to conclusions here?

The deputies in the sheriff helicopter tracked him from the other homes nearby and saw him jumping over his grandmothers backyard fence.

So he didn't innocently walk outside from the home after hearing the helicopter.

He was running around in neighbors back yards , hopping fences, and he was standing in driveways, late at night.

Why would he be doing so?

Yes, he was in his grandmother's back yard. Right after he jumped the fence into her yard, after running through other yards that night, and being tracked by a police helicopter.

"Deputies in the helicopter said they witnessed that man break the back sliding glass door of the house with a "tool bar."

The helicopter then began filming the man in infrared. He can be seen jumping a fence into the next yard, which is where Clark was living.

Body camera footage then shows police confronting Clark in that driveway before chasing him into the backyard and shooting him dead."

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article206442339.html#storylink=cpy

From the link -

“Do I believe he was the one based on what we know now? I believe that, yeah, but can we factually say it yet? No. But when and if we can, we will put that out,” Hahn told The Sacramento Bee.

LE is hardly about to say 'we might have made a mistake'.

I didn't realise breaking into a car was a death penalty offense.

Once again, jumping to a conclusion not even drawn by LE yet -

“Everything indicates he was, but you can’t say factually it was him yet. We don’t have those facts yet.”

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article206442339.html

And the police say that they can't factually prove that, at this time the believe it. And for a black man to run from police. In the US I don't find that unusual at all sadly.

Furthermore, why can they safely apprehend a man who has killed 17 children, but have to shoot someone who may have broken into cars 20 times?!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Good one.

Good one.
I mean, I believe in due process, but if anyone should be shot on sight, certainly it's someone with an assault rifle who's just opened fire in a school. Why are these trained police officers so threatened by someone who is breaking into cars? They don't even come and take finger prints, usually, in my experience.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back