Yellowstone Bulge May Cause Thermal Unrest

Buzz Mills

Reaction score
Website
forumsforjustice.com
Yellowstone Bulge May Cause Thermal Unrest 2 hours, 50 minutes ago

BILLINGS, Mont. - A newly discovered surface bulge in Yellowstone National Park may be responsible for some unexpected geothermal activity in recent years, according to a study by U.S. Geological Survey scientists. The bulge, about 25 miles across, rose 5 inches from 1997 to 2003 and may have triggered some thermal unrest at Norris Geyser Basin, including a sudden rise in temperatures, new steam vents and the awakening of Steamboat geyser.

The findings are part of a paper set to be published Thursday in the journal Nature. Charles Wicks, one of the USGS scientists who worked on the study, said much of what happens beneath the park's surface remains a mystery, but more is being learned about the Yellowstone caldera, the huge bowl-shaped collapsed volcano in the middle of the park that last erupted 640,000 years ago.

Geologists discovered the dome on the northern rim of the caldera several years ago, and Wicks and others used satellite images and other tools to track its swelling. Wicks and his colleagues theorize that molten rock moved out of the caldera and beneath the area of the inflating dome, which has been named the North Rim Uplift Anomaly. The floor of the caldera sank as the molten rock left.

http://tinyurl.com/gp25w

Buzzm1 said:
Yellowstone Bulge May Cause Thermal Unrest
http://tinyurl.com/gp25whttp://tinyurl.com/gp25w
You know, I saw a show on Discovery or National Geographic (or one of those channels :) ) a while back about the possibility of a catastrophic volcanic eruption in Yellowstone and it was very frightening. Basically, the documentary said there is so much geothermal activity in Yellowstone that a massive volcano could develop and erupt, causing, among other things, a huge ash cloud that could reach even to the Gulf of Mexico, thus changing life as we know it.

Isn't it speculated that such an eruption could have caused an ash cloud that killed all vegetation, thus killing the dinosaurs?

AdoraBlue said:
You know, I saw a show on Discovery or National Geographic (or one of those channels :) ) a while back about the possibility of a catastrophic volcanic eruption in Yellowstone and it was very frightening. Basically, the documentary said there is so much geothermal activity in Yellowstone that a massive volcano could develop and erupt, causing, among other things, a huge ash cloud that could reach even to the Gulf of Mexico, thus changing life as we know it.

Isn't it speculated that such an eruption could have caused an ash cloud that killed all vegetation, thus killing the dinosaurs?
I saw that presentation too.. The Yellowstone area is the site of an ancient Super Volcano, and yes, if it ever erupts it could be a world changing event. The bulge is growing rapidly.

AdoraBlue said:

My husband is a geologist, working in the geo-thermal field as well as oil field, and he is very concerned about this yellowstone activitiy. He says it's overdue to happen, and it will be catastrophic for the entire planet when (he doesn't say if) it happens.

I'm just hoping he's wrong.

He's not wrong. This will happen at some time in our future.

I watched it also, and watched the repeat. The map showed the ash cloud that would follow an eruption of the super volcano. Our land in E. Colorado would be buried under ash. Nothing would grow and livestock would starve. Not a pleasant thought. I hope it doesn't blow while I'm stll alive. Let's hope it's way off in the future. Scares me a lot.

BarnGoddess said:
I watched it also, and watched the repeat. The map showed the ash cloud that would follow an eruption of the super volcano. Our land in E. Colorado would be buried under ash. Nothing would grow and livestock would starve. Not a pleasant thought. I hope it doesn't blow while I'm stll alive. Let's hope it's way off in the future. Scares me a lot.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I feel sorry for whomever is President at that time...they'll catch Hell.

Isn't this like a super valcanoe or something that has ashe that covers the earth?

Just saying the pressure is building but it is a 25 ft area. That is not that big compared to domes of other volcanoes. And like a pipe line it is just another weak spot to burst.
I'm thinking it will be exciting but not the end of the world.

is if this one area has been verified through satellite imagery-if anyone is checking other areas of Yellowstone for "anomalies" in the topography.

Lets face it-this is not just a question of volcanic activity-but also of seismic activity. No one really knows how far from the caldera any large fault lines may radiate-or what other fault lines Yellowstone's may interact with.

The implications are, to say the least, thought-provoking and scary at the same time. Imagine this area suddenly becoming seismically active, as well as volcanic activity churning out ash, pumice, and toxic gases. The implications are truly staggering on not just a national scale, but on a world scale when you consider the impact man has had on the planet(the disappearing glaciers, the sea levels rising)and then add in the impact that Yellowstone's volcanic activity could add, and Earth as we know it maybe radically and irreprably changed.

gatetrekker44 said:
is if this one area has been verified through satellite imagery-if anyone is checking other areas of Yellowstone for "anomalies" in the topography.

Lets face it-this is not just a question of volcanic activity-but also of seismic activity. No one really knows how far from the caldera any large fault lines may radiate-or what other fault lines Yellowstone's may interact with.

The implications are, to say the least, thought-provoking and scary at the same time. Imagine this area suddenly becoming seismically active, as well as volcanic activity churning out ash, pumice, and toxic gases. The implications are truly staggering on not just a national scale, but on a world scale when you consider the impact man has had on the planet(the disappearing glaciers, the sea levels rising)and then add in the impact that Yellowstone's volcanic activity could add, and Earth as we know it maybe radically and irreprably changed.

That area has always been seismically active. There are seismographs on display at the Old Faithful visitor centor and they show activity quite frequently. There is a huge "hot spot" under that part of the USA and you can see topographically how the plates have moved over millions of years over the hot spot...it's part of the geography of the whole Snake River Valley. A lot of the rock around there for a few hundred miles is composed of basalt, and there are lava flows still visible to this day.

Maybe I dreamed this part or I am equating it to something else, but didn't the documentary talk about possibility of drilling or other means to reduce some of the pressure? Kgeaux? Buzz? Anyone? :)

AdoraBlue said:
Maybe I dreamed this part or I am equating it to something else, but didn't the documentary talk about possibility of drilling or other means to reduce some of the pressure? Kgeaux? Buzz? Anyone? :)
Drilling won't help. There are 1000's of geysers in the area. Those are simply pressure points which vent out pressure, and the caldera is still rising.

I can't find anything about this potential Yellowstone volcanic explosion on the web, but I found this thread about Yellowstone. Wasn't it said the government was hiding something that could happen there from the American public?''

I'm not an alarmist, but tonight I read about what Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin saw on the moon as far as piping and domes, info that NASA has not released, and am wondering what is going on with our government.

Thanks to anyone to knows anything! Scandi

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back