Rebecca Zahau Wrongful death trial begins. Trial coverage and discussion #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynic

Reaction score
The Court’s website says the case age is 1565 days.
It’s been a long journey, but the wait is over.

From the Court’s Register of Actions:
Case Information:
Case Number: 37-2013-00075418-CU-PO-CTL
Date Filed: 11/13/2013
Case Title: Estate of Rebecca Zahau vs. Shacknai
Case Status: Pending
Case Category: Civil - Unlimited
Judicial Officer: Katherine Bacal
Case Age: 1565 days
Department: C-69

Attorneys for the Plaintiff: Gaston, Frederick W; Greer, Curtis K

Attorneys for the Defendant: Adkins, Robb C.; Black, Allen; Elsberg, David; Enns, Krista M.; Fick, Ryan R; Robertson, Drew; Vranjes, Mark; Webb, Dan K; Weisburst, Seth

Thread #1

Thread #2

Here is the latest interview with Caitlin Rother. http://www.kusi.com/caitlin-rother-on-the-rebecca-zahau-trial/

I'll be interviewing Caitlin and will post the interview later today.

Here is the link to the interviews with Keith Greer. You'll have to scroll past other interviews to get to the first Keith Greer interview.

https://soundcloud.com/tricia-arrington-griffith

If you would like any posts from the first thread brought over please alert on the post and request it be moved to thread 2.

Thank you!

Before posting again in this case, please read the following:

STOP discussing race or racism. Timeouts will be forthcoming if this discussion continues.

Emotions are running high and reading through the last thread the tension is palpable against anyone who presents an opposing view. Differences of opinion are to be expected and are allowed as long as the discussion remains civil and respectful. Looking at something from another angle does not necessarily equate to victim-blaming.
If you don’t agree with a post, either scroll and roll or use the forum's ignore feature.

Do not personalize posts. Stick to the facts and use links to back up your assertions. If you see a problematic post, hit the alert button and move on.

Finally, do not bring up computer or forum technical issues on the thread. It is off topic and creates a big mess for moderators to clean up later. If you have issues take your questions or concerns to the ‘Forum Finesse’ area where our tech expert or a moderator can address the problem.

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?53-Forum-Finesse

Thank this post to indicate that you have read the content.

Thank you for the new thread, Harmony 2!

Thank you for starting a new thread Harmony 2. I am stunned to read that members were talking about race and racism. My head will explode if I look further into this so thank you for taking care of this issue as well.

Many of you posting here are some of the smartest members on Websleuths. Always remind yourself that Keith Greer came to Websleuths to get caught up. That say so much about your ability to go through the evidence and your posting manner.

Please do not ruin it by going off topic OK?

Thank you,
Tricia

Before posting again in this case, please read the following:

STOP discussing race or racism. Timeouts will be forthcoming if this discussion continues.

Emotions are running high and reading through the last thread the tension is palpable against anyone who presents an opposing view. Differences of opinion are to be expected and are allowed as long as the discussion remains civil and respectful. Looking at something from another angle does not necessarily equate to victim-blaming.
If you don’t agree with a post, either scroll and roll or use the forum's ignore feature.

Do not personalize posts. Stick to the facts and use links to back up your assertions. If you see a problematic post, hit the alert button and move on.

Finally, do not bring up computer or forum technical issues on the thread. It is off topic and creates a big mess for moderators to clean up later. If you have issues take your questions or concerns to the ‘Forum Finesse’ area where our tech expert or a moderator can address the problem.

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?53-Forum-Finesse

Thank this post to indicate that you have read the content.

On the local news this evening, I heard the knots were loose, which contradicts earlier testimony, maybe the media has it incorrect;
however they were reporting about an expert who testified, this has confused me.

I live in San Diego, and I own a business in Coronado. <modsnip> IMHO

I followed this case assiduously early on, then gave it up because nothing was happening and the discussions on WS were reaching a level that I found upsetting.

So please bear with me that I have probably missed a lot and now that I am back will ask questions that have already been asked and answered many times before.

That being said, my first question is, has there been any explanation by SDSO or any other entity of why the balcony doors were closed as depicted in the crime scene photos?

UPDATE FROM MARY TODAY...

WOW. The ME is not going to testify...

Day #1 of Week #5 felt like being beat down by the enemy.
First of all defense is not bringing Dr Lucas (San Diego county ME who did autopsy on Rebecca) to testify, it makes you wonder why? They are also not bringing other Sheriffs department investigators they had listed as witness and are now off the list. Maybe they realize Attorney Greer has shown their incompetencies and lack of evidence for suicide with the ones who were on stand past 2 weeks.
Sitting through demonstrations and testimonies saying my sister committed suicide by 2 of defense experts, who do not look at the other evidence, felt like being punched in the gut over and over but I cannot punch back.
The defense rope expert said he practiced the wrist binding 50-60 times and so was able to demonstrate self binding but of course he was not naked, ankles were not bound, body of T-shirt was not stuffed in his mouth, and didn’t maneuver himself around to a balcony somehow and fling himself over. He said there are 3 reasons a person perform self binding in suicide 1. Prevent saving by self/ insurance purpose 2. To implicate someone else 3. To avoid dishonor to the family.
But when attorney Greer asked how these fit to Rebecca, he couldn’t answer. She didn’t have life insurance, did she stage to make it look like Adam Schacknai killed her?, and she was naked so preventing dishonor to family definitely didn’t happen. I hope and pray the jury sees through the lies.
Dr Davis, ME from Kentucky (who obviously replaced Dr Lucas) so far is saying that everything in the autopsy points to suicide in response to defense questioning. The defense is still not done with their testimony and will continue first thing tomorrow. Attorney Greer is cross examining sometime tomorrow when they are done. I cannot wait for him to point out inconsistencies and lack of evidence to their suicide theory.
Even though I feel beat up and exhausted, I am not ready to give up hope that truth prevails. Closing argument is planned for Monday 4/2/18.

Thank you for the new thread, Harmony 2!

Me too, thanks! I know the comment about posting asking for help is directed at me...I’m sorry, thanks for the help link. I wish there was a more visible one on the site, I did look but couldn’t find it! ...anyhoo...I will use the link in future. Thanks again.

On the local news this evening, I heard the knots were loose, which contradicts earlier testimony, maybe the media has it incorrect;
however they were reporting about an expert who testified, this has confused me.

I live in San Diego, and I own a business in Coronado. I think the Sheriff and the Politicians had something to do with this cover up IMHO

It not only contradicts previous testimony, its also evident in photos and the pressure marks the bindings made, that they were tight.

It sounds like Greer will have no problem cross examining these two experts. From the news account in the San Diego newspaper, the ME expert from Kentucky said RZ hung herself because her neck was broken. I'm guessing he only skimmed the AR, because that wasn't the case. Perhaps the defense is just throwing stuff out to see what will stick in the minds of a couple jurors. They (defense) really don't have much else.

First of all defense is not bringing Dr Lucas (San Diego county ME who did autopsy on Rebecca) to testify, it makes you wonder why? They are also not bringing other Sheriffs department investigators they had listed as witness and are now off the list. Maybe they realize Attorney Greer has shown their incompetencies and lack of evidence for suicide with the ones who were on stand past 2 weeks.
Sitting through demonstrations and testimonies saying my sister committed suicide by 2 of defense experts, who do not look at the other evidence, felt like being punched in the gut over and over but I cannot punch back.
The defense rope expert said he practiced the wrist binding 50-60 times and so was able to demonstrate self binding but of course he was not naked, ankles were not bound, body of T-shirt was not stuffed in his mouth, and didn&#8217;t maneuver himself around to a balcony somehow and fling himself over. He said there are 3 reasons a person perform self binding in suicide 1. Prevent saving by self/ insurance purpose 2. To implicate someone else 3. To avoid dishonor to the family.
But when attorney Greer asked how these fit to Rebecca, he couldn&#8217;t answer. She didn&#8217;t have life insurance, did she stage to make it look like Adam Schacknai killed her?, and she was naked so preventing dishonor to family definitely didn&#8217;t happen. I hope and pray the jury sees through the lies.
Dr Davis, ME from Kentucky (who obviously replaced Dr Lucas) so far is saying that everything in the autopsy points to suicide in response to defense questioning. The defense is still not done with their testimony and will continue first thing tomorrow. Attorney Greer is cross examining sometime tomorrow when they are done. I cannot wait for him to point out inconsistencies and lack of evidence to their suicide theory.
Even though I feel beat up and exhausted, I am not ready to give up hope that truth prevails. Closing argument is planned for Monday 4/2/18.

I can't even imagine the pain she's suffering. May truth prevail.

First of all defense is not bringing Dr Lucas (San Diego county ME who did autopsy on Rebecca) to testify, it makes you wonder why? They are also not bringing other Sheriffs department investigators they had listed as witness and are now off the list.
Maybe they realize Attorney Greer has shown their incompetencies and lack of evidence for suicide with the ones who were on stand past 2 weeks.
The defense rope expert said he practiced the wrist binding 50-60 times and so was able to demonstrate self binding but of course he was not naked, ankles were not bound, body of T-shirt was not stuffed in his mouth, and didn&#8217;t maneuver himself around to a balcony somehow and fling himself over. He said there are 3 reasons a person perform self binding in suicide 1. Prevent saving by self/ insurance purpose 2. To implicate someone else 3. To avoid dishonor to the family.
But when attorney Greer asked how these fit to Rebecca, he couldn&#8217;t answer. She didn&#8217;t have life insurance, did she stage to make it look like Adam Schacknai killed her?, and she was naked so preventing dishonor to family definitely didn&#8217;t happen. I hope and pray the jury sees through the lies.

Why can't these individuals be subpoenaed?

Feedback on the LOOSE bindings comments from previous thread...

I was in court when AS testified to direct from Mr Greer about the wrist bindings. He was questioned about taking RZ pulse. His testimony on the stand was that he wiggled his hand in between the ropes to take her pulse, Mr Greer asked if he had to loosen the ropes, and he said no, just put his fingers between... but then Mr Greer pulled out his earlier deposition / statement in which he actually stated that he ‘loosened’ the ropes to take her pulse.

Mr Greer then said, so which is it? AS would still not admit he loosened the ropes, even though his deposition was read out in court - and again he said words to the effect of he ‘worked his way’ ‘around the ropes’ to try for a pulse.

I recall he really looked like he was obviously telling lies and was caught out during this questioning.

( paraphrasing and my opinions from my best recollection of the trial)

The defense rope expert said he practiced the wrist binding 50-60 times and so was able to demonstrate self binding but of course he was not naked, ankles were not bound, body of T-shirt was not stuffed in his mouth, and didn’t maneuver himself around to a balcony somehow and fling himself over. He said there are 3 reasons a person perform self binding in suicide 1. Prevent saving by self/ insurance purpose 2. To implicate someone else 3. To avoid dishonor to the family.
But when attorney Greer asked how these fit to Rebecca, he couldn’t answer. She didn’t have life insurance, did she stage to make it look like Adam Schacknai killed her?, and she was naked so preventing dishonor to family definitely didn’t happen. I hope and pray the jury sees through the lies.

Yes, I just heard from Greer about this. This is truly HUGE. They cannot put their own M.E. on the stand. Mary and Keith must feel robbed! Instead they had Dr. Davis up there to say Dr. Lucas' report was the finest he'd ever seen. Really? But, Dr. Lucas himself will not get on the stand? I said the same thing -- WOW. Interesting to hear that they are also scaling back some of the additional SDSO witnesses. Instead of a barrage of authority, they must realize it is coming across as a barrage of incompetence. Also, their rope expert testified today that tight ropes (like what Adam describes encountering at the scene) mean homicide. Perhaps they didn't realize Adam had to loosen the ropes, per his testimony in polygraph, in deposition, and even in court (where he avoids the word loosen, but demonstrates with his hand having to wedge his fingers under something very tight). Opinions are MOO, the facts are out there.

It not only contradicts previous testimony, its also evident in photos and the pressure marks the bindings made, that they were tight.

It sounds like Greer will have no problem cross examining these two experts. From the news account in the San Diego newspaper, the ME expert from Kentucky said RZ hung herself because her neck was broken. I'm guessing he only skimmed the AR, because that wasn't the case. Perhaps the defense is just throwing stuff out to see what will stick in the minds of a couple jurors. They (defense) really don't have much else.

I live in SD too, and I have to say, I feel the press are not showing the same level of coverage for the plaintiff as they are for the defense on the local news. It’s really odd, as they showed the cross examination primarily when it was the plaintiffs questioning the witnesses, and primarily the direct examination when it’s the defense questioning the witnesses. If I’d not seen the programs myself I wouldn’t have believed it! It genuinely appears to be a purposeful choice by the news stations IMO.

Yes, I just heard from Greer about this. This is truly HUGE. They cannot put their own M.E. on the stand. Mary and Keith must feel robbed! Instead they had Dr. Davis up there to say Dr. Lucas' report was the finest he'd ever seen. Really? But, Dr. Lucas himself will not get on the stand? I said the same thing -- WOW. Interesting to hear that they are also scaling back some of the additional SDSO witnesses. Instead of a barrage of authority, they must realize it is coming across as a barrage of incompetence. Also, their rope expert testified today that tight ropes (like what Adam describes encountering at the scene) mean homicide. Perhaps they didn't realize Adam had to loosen the ropes, per his testimony in polygraph, in deposition, and even in court (where he avoids the word loosen, but demonstrates with his hand having to wedge his fingers under something very tight). Opinions are MOO, the facts are out there.

If Greer had known that the defense was going to pull these witnesses at the last minute, could he have called them to testify for the plaintiff as hostile witnesses? I hope he makes the point in his final argument that the defense pulled witnesses who could have testified with direct knowledge, and suggests that the jury should wonder why.

Yes, the rope expert was quite definite that loose ropes mean suicide and tight ropes always mean homicide. Oops! I hope Greer points this out in his cross examination.

Feedback on the LOOSE bindings comments from previous thread...

I was in court when AS testified to direct from Mr Greer about the wrist bindings. He was questioned about taking RZ pulse. His testimony on the stand was that he wiggled his hand in between the ropes to take her pulse, Mr Greer asked if he had to loosen the ropes, and he said no, just put his fingers between... but then Mr Greer pulled out his earlier deposition / statement in which he actually stated that he ‘loosened’ the ropes to take her pulse.

Mr Greer then said, so which is it? AS would still not admit he loosened the ropes, even though his deposition was read out in court - and again he said words to the effect of he ‘worked his way’ ‘around the ropes’ to try for a pulse.

I recall he really looked like he was obviously telling lies and was caught out during this questioning.

( paraphrasing and my opinions from my best recollection of the trial)

Lezah, In addition to the deposition, where Adam says he *loosened* the ropes, in the interview prior to the polygraph he said he MOVED the ropes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppRDQ7yfymg&feature=youtu.be I know this is apparently not in front of the jury, but it's significant. I also watched the testimony you referred to and, even though Adam now refuses to say the word loosened, his demonstration with his hand of just "working his way" around the ropes is a clear demonstration of wedging your fingers under something tight. I said this in my earlier post, but will repeat: my opinion is that his rope expert just said it was a homicide, because he clearly isn't privy to how tight the ropes Adam encountered really were! MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth