CA CA - Hannah, 16, Devonte, 15, & Sierra Hart, 12, Mendocino County, 26 March 2018 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybervampira

Reaction score
Search for 3 children underway in Mendocino crash that killed 5 family members from Washington

Authorities are searching along a remote stretch of the northern Mendocino Coast for three children who are feared missing after a crash earlier this week killed their two mothers and three siblings.
211db9335452089e6bf9655d1f8711be.jpg

Jennifer Jean Hart (fifth from left), Sarah Margaret Hart (far right) and their six children at a Bernie Sanders rally in Portland, Oregon, Friday, March 25, 206. (Photo via KATU)

[...]

Jennifer Jean Hart and Sarah Margaret Hart, both 38 and married, and their six adopted children were from Woodland, Washington, across the Oregon border from Portland.

The Mendocino County Coroner’s Office early Wednesday afternoon identified the children as Markis Hart, 19, Jeremiah Hart, 14, and Abigail Hart, 14.

Still missing are Devonte Hart, 15, Hannah Hart, 16, and Sierra Hart, 12, according to officials.

A receptionist at the Cowlitz County office for the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services confirmed Child Protective Services has an open case filed against a 38-year-old Jennifer Hart, of Woodland. A first check‑in date for the case was listed as Friday, she said. No other information was available about the case.

A sheriff’s spokesman from neighboring Clark County in Washington said that child protective services officials had visited the home Friday but no one had answered, The Oregonian reported Wednesday.

The three deceased children were found Monday down the cliffs off Highway 1, where they were thrown from the family GMC Yukon SUV. The two women were found in the vehicle, which was overturned at the base of the cliff and partially submerged in the surf.

Three other children were considered missing and were the focus of a large search that started Tuesday. On Wednesday, it included ground and air resources, according to the Mendocino County Sheriff’s Office.

The water is too rough for divers, who were on hold until conditions improve, said Mendocino County sheriff’s Lt. Shannon Barney.

“I have three outstanding, unaccounted for,” Barney said. “We have checked their home residence and they are not there. They may be with friends or relatives,” but he said they have no information to confirm that case.

[...]

The vehicle was traveling on Highway 1 north of Westport when driver Jennifer Hart pulled into a dirt turnout, and for reasons unknown the Yukon careened over a 100-foot cliff, according to the CHP. It’s unclear when the crash occurred and some time could have passed before the wreckage was spotted by a passerby around 3:39 p.m. Monday, the CHP said.

The mothers were wearing seat belts but the children were not, officials said.

An hourslong recovery continued past dark and drew multiple agencies to the remote scene around 20 miles north of Fort Bragg.

Firefighters rappelled down the cliff to reach the partially submerged car, said CHP Officer Brian Henderson on Monday, who is part of a helicopter crew from the agency’s Northern Division Air Operations base in Redding that participated in the recovery.

Article: http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/8163127-181/chp-names-2-adults-in

wow, first I have heard about this. sounds awful.

It does sound like there was a CPS case pending against mom Jennifer before this happened...

Lots of questions, time to hurry up and wait for more news.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 5.49.02 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 5.49.02 PM.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 9,968
  • Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 5.49.16 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 5.49.16 PM.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 9,794
http://www.kgw.com/article/news/loc...r-parents-siblings-die-in-crash/283-532846123

Devonte Hart is the boy who was pictured hugging a police officer during a Ferguson-related rally in Portland, OR in 2014. (That's Jennifer Hart in the background in the red coat).

cache.php

"The Clark County Sheriff's Office said Child Protective Services visited the Harts' home on Friday, March 23. CPS had received report that the children were not being fed.

Jennifer Hart was driving the SUV into a dirt turnout area and continued for unknown reasons off the cliff, according to the California Highway Patrol. The cause of the crash is under investigation. Drugs or alcohol are not believed to be factors."

Has anyone been able to find pics of the turnout area? I just... just hope it wasn't intentional... (ugh sorry to go there).

I'm very concerned about Hannah, Devonte and Sierra... surely two days later they'd have come forward if they were elsewhere?
:(

Oh my, I remember that photo of Devonte hugging the cop- that was so touching to me.

I hope and pray those allegations about them not being fed aren't true. While they appear happy and healthy, we all know that sometimes pictures don't tell the whole story.

I wonder, was she driving recklessly to get the kids away from the case worker? Praying that the remaining three missing are found safe and sound soon, although seeing those photos of the crash make me think they didn't survive. :(

CPS visited home 3 times, identified children as 'potential victims of abuse or neglect'
http://komonews.com/news/local/loca...aded-guilty-to-assault-sarah-jen-hart-devonte

[...]

Investigators have every indication that the missing children were also inside the vehicle at the time of the crash, the Mendocino County Sheriff's Office said. There's no evidence that the crash was intentional, they added.

Court records show Sarah Hart pleaded guilty to a domestic assault charge in Douglas County, Minnesota in 2011. Her plea also led to the dismissal of a charge of malicious punishment of a child. No other details were immediately available.

According to Child Protective Services, the children were identified as "potential victims of alleged abuse or neglect."

Bruce and Dana DeKalb, who live near the Hart family, told KATU News they called CPS last week after one of the Hart children came over to their house, asking for food, eventually several times a day.

A CPS worker visited the family's home Friday, but no one answered the door.

When that worker left, Dana DeKalb said the entire Hart family came out of the house, quickly loaded up their SUV, and took off. CPS officials confirmed they returned to the house on March 26 and March 27 but were not able to reach the family.

DeKalb said she believes the children reached out to her for help for some reason.

“Absolutely I think I was a lifeline. And yeah, I don't think it was my fault certainly. I just, wow, it's not how I thought it was gonna end. I thought it was gonna end in a beautiful life for them,” said DeKalb.

CPS workers tried to contact the family two more times, on Monday and Tuesday. The Department of Social and Health Services has not made any findings in the case and they have no prior history with the family.

DeKalb also said that one of the Hart's children tried to run away last fall.

Deputies with the Clark County Sheriff's Office searched the home, but found nothing unusual. They said there was no trace of the family's three missing children.

http://www.kgw.com/article/news/loc...r-parents-siblings-die-in-crash/283-532846123

Devonte Hart is the boy who was pictured hugging a police officer during a Ferguson-related rally in Portland, OR in 2014. (That's Jennifer Hart in the background in the red coat).

cache.php

"The Clark County Sheriff's Office said Child Protective Services visited the Harts' home on Friday, March 23. CPS had received report that the children were not being fed.

Jennifer Hart was driving the SUV into a dirt turnout area and continued for unknown reasons off the cliff, according to the California Highway Patrol. The cause of the crash is under investigation. Drugs or alcohol are not believed to be factors."

Has anyone been able to find pics of the turnout area? I just... just hope it wasn't intentional... (ugh sorry to go there).

I'm very concerned about Hannah, Devonte and Sierra... surely two days later they'd have come forward if they were elsewhere?
:(

Using Google Maps, Juan Creek bridge, California 1, Westport, CA.

The turn out is about 4.5 miles north of west port just south of the Juan Creek Bridge.

Or just google "Juan creek bridge, Westport CA" and you can find images of the turn out there.

I'm really heartbroken. Devastating, and unfair. :(

I have just seen photos where the family are dressed in red shirts with Thing1, etc on them. Hoping it's not another Turpin scenario

Following. Strange and sad case.
Sometimes people want to do well ; but end up over their heads.

Or maybe some of the children acted like... children-- and their moms reacted by depriving food ? Terrible to think about, but we've witnessed how the Turpin parents 'handled' their children ; going to great lengths to pose as a normal family--- all while their kids were starving. :cry:

I'm thinking the 3 missing children are somewhere else-- alive or not ? Wouldn't they still be in the vehicle if immediately deceased from the crash ?
:moo:

I have just seen photos where the family are dressed in red shirts with Thing1, etc on them. Hoping it's not another Turpin scenario

They are also dressed in identical shirts in the first comment.

I looked this bridge up, and it appears to be nearly 10 hours away from their home? Depending on what time the CPS person came by, and if they left shortly after that, it seems like it would have almost certainly been late/dark out if they drove straight through from home? Perhaps she fell asleep at the wheel? Maybe the kids were sleeping and that’s why they took seat belts off? Does anyone know how well lit that portion of road is at night?

If they did crash on Friday, it’s awful to think they could have been down there the entire weekend before anyone saw them.

Authorities now say 6 children feared dead when car plunged off California cliff
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pacific-coast-highway-crash-5-killed-mendocino/
SAN FRANCISCO -- Authorities in Northern California say they believe all six children from a family were in a vehicle that plunged off a coastal cliff. Mendocino County Sheriff Tom Allmon told reporters Wednesday that only three bodies of the children have been recovered. Their parents also died Monday.

He says specialized crash investigators are studying the scene for clues, but it's very curious because there were no skid or brake marks. But Allmon says there's no reason to believe the crash was a deliberate act.

The sheriff appealed for the public's help in retracing where the family had been in recent days.

Allmon says a passer-by called 911 about the crash, but investigators don't know exactly when the SUV plunged into the ocean. He says "an entire family vanished and perished during this tragedy."

[...]

In a report on the crash, the highway patrol said a 2003 GMC was driving south along Highway 1 Monday when it pulled into a dirt turnout along the road and for unknown reasons continued directly off the cliff. The vehicle landed on its roof on a large rock, killing all five.

A woman who owns a house near the scene told KOIN-TV the crash seemed strange because the turnoff is so large. So far it's unclear what caused the crash.

The weather was reported as clear and drugs and alcohol were not considered factors.

[...]

Suicide ? And took the kids with them ?
Something made those women panic when CPS knocked at the door --- even though it wasn't the first time.
Those poor kids !!!!!

Suicide ? And took the kids with them ?
Something made those women panic when CPS knocked at the door --- even though it wasn't the first time.
Those poor kids !!!!!

That's what I was thinking as well- or at least the driver decided that she would rather die with her family than lose them.

So sad, those poor children.

This is so incredibly sad. I remember the picture of Devonte and the officer. This is horrible. The poor children. Seemingly getting a chance at a good life and now this! And we don't know what went on before this. I am very suspicious about the crash.

LE keeps saying 'we have no reason to believe it was intentional.' And in the same breath they say there were no brake marks and it was a large turn off and the kids had no seatbelt on. And CPS was looking for them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aishavn