Estimated Height: no taller than 5'9"
Estimated Weight: 180-200 lbs
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Brown
Nicknames: Bill, Billy
Dentals: not available
Fingerprints: not available
DNA: Available
Vehicle: 1955 Chevy Pickup Truck (Swimming Pool Blue)
Other: smoked L&M cigarettes and drank Iron City Beer, preferably in a bottle. Was known to frequent bars.

Case Details
Back in the 1960s, a lifetime ago, "Old McKeesport". It was still a bustling borough, where you could go downtown to see a movie, do some shopping and stop at a local eatery for lunch or the neighborhood bar for a beer. Those times when kids could ride their bikes day or night or sleep on the porch in the summer without fear.
It was here that Bill Higgins and his wife Dolores were raising their six children in the family home on W 6th Street, not far from downtown and within walking distance of the confluence of the Monongahela and Youghiogheny Rivers.
The steel industry was still a major presence in McKeesport and it is how Bill made his living. In 1969 he was employed by the Christy Parks Works plant, making bayonets, bullets and other munitions for the Vietnam War.
One day in the spring of 1969, Bill didn't come home from work.

From Bill's house to the Christy Park Works plant, 2 - 2.5 miles depending on route.

Bill's wife filed a missing persons at the McKeesport Police Station. His disappearance was deemed "suspicious", meaning that he did not leave voluntarily. Unfortunately, a flood in 1980 destroyed those records.

Bill was a hunter. He would also do side work; cutting lawns, painting, paneling and was known to be very good at working on cars. Yet his guns, tools, those possessions that defined who is was, were all left behind.

His social security number has not been used since his disappearance.

An ad was placed in several newspapers in 1971/72 when Bill's wife wanted to remarry. It asked him to come forward. There was no response.

Bill was never been declared deceased but five decades later, he remains missing.

http://pennsylvaniamissing.com/higginswilliama.html

LOTS MORE PHOTOS:

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/show/40945

78e113937160d67523814c4456c8edb6.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill's son contacted me and asked if we can help get his Dad's case looked at by some of the great sleuths here.

I invited him to join the thread so he can share ideas and thoughts.

I did share that it's recommended that family members get "verified" but do not know how this process works. Could someone please share how this works and where to start?

Additional photos of Bill and a truck like the one he owned.

d5a09b097d63350d08d4134116637bd2.jpeg

842813f21b97b6e194504e67636039de.jpeg

7bbc73b5c5fd1cbe3eaa3e2f202e15b8.jpeg

a07279c35ccc0b9695f5a9f6d669a168.jpeg

0b79fb4990b3d3a1725de846d53ac893.jpeg

Bill took the 2 mile drive in his truck from work to home and disappeared. Bill's son believes his father was murdered. I have more info on this but won't be able to post it all until tonight. There's a lot of it and I want to make sure I don't miss anything. It certainly does look like murder could be a possibility.

I'm going to do this in chunks because of the amount of info to share. I won't be able to share everything due to privacy. Thank you to Bill's son for sharing this info. He is also willing to answer our questions. Hopefully he will join us here.

Bill met his soon-to-be wife in 1954 when she was 17 and Bill 21. An unplanned pregnancy and family members forced the 2 to get married in 1955. By 1966 the couple had 6 kids.

By 1969 the marriage was falling apart. Bill spent time at the local bars and each of them had affairs. Bill's wife had an affair with a younger neighbor 19/20. She was 32 at the time. Bill 35. I will go further into this in a follow up post.

Before Bill's disappearance he had begun to spend more time at home. He was also in the middle of fixing the house up.

Multiple stories told or heard of Bill's disappearance.

1. Bill just doesn't come home one day
2. He came home, they argued, he threw some things in his truck and left.
3. He loaded the truck on a barge and went to Alaska
4. He went to Florida to live on a boat with a girlfriend.

Additional info on these in a follow up post.

At the time of Bill's disappearance the older children were at school and the 2 youngest at home and still quite young at 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 - 4.

An older sibling says that on that day Mom is upset and grandparents are there (Mom's parents). Mom is saying Bill left. A report was filed at the police station a few days later. Unknown if missing person or abandonment report. All files were lost in a flood in 1980.

I'll post tomorrow with more info.

The younger neighbor was well known in the area for frequently being in trouble.

Though he wanted to be with Bill's wife, he did not want to raise his children. But by May of 1969 he had moved into Bill's home with her and the children. He did not treat the children well.

Bill's wife's brother (who owned the home)and his wife visited when they heard Bill had left and found the neighbor already moved in. This did not go over well and Bill's wife, neighbor, and the children end up moving a few streets away.

Their previous home, Bill's home, burned down shortly after the move. Bill's wife and her brother never spoke again after this incident.

The neighbor was forced to go into the military and headed off to boot camp. He went AWOL shortly after. The military records building burned down in 1973.

In 1972 the neighbor and Bill's wife got married after her 1st marriage was absolved on the grounds of abandonment. They had 2 more children.

A cop friend of Bill's said Bill had gone to Florida to live on a boat with his girlfriend in a conversation he had with Bill's wife. This was to avoid having to pay any child support. Bill knew no one in FL and his sibling reports he didn't like the beach.

2 yrs ago, a family member of stepdad's (the neighbor), after hearing of the search for Bill, states he was murdered and thrown in a well. When questioned further, its now said to only be a joke.

Bill never picked up his last pay check. It was either picked up by his wife or sent in the mail.

Bill was very close to his mother and would not leave without some contact with her. He took her to church every Sunday and would wait in his truck for her. She passed away 10 years after his disappearance.

All ties were broken between Bill's children and Bill's family. They would not reunite until years later. They are now working together to find out what happened to Bill. Bill has 3 siblings left, aged 90 and ill, 88 and 74. Sibling DNA has been provided.

I have a lot of additional info but not comfortable sharing publicly due to privacy. Please feel free to message me if you'd like to sleuth.

Handsome guy! Do they think the new husband possibly had a hand in any of this? Is it possible he was still in contact with his mother and had her not say anything so he wouldn't have to pay child support? Was he regarded as a good father?

edited to add: Have the siblings and children at least one submit DNA to one of those ancestry sites to try to find biological half siblings etc. in case he went on to have more kids?

Handsome guy! Do they think the new husband possibly had a hand in any of this? Is it possible he was still in contact with his mother and had her not say anything so he wouldn't have to pay child support? Was he regarded as a good father?

edited to add: Have the siblings and children at least one submit DNA to one of those ancestry sites to try to find biological half siblings etc. in case he went on to have more kids?

I don't believe Bill left voluntarily or left to avoid taking care of his kids. He was fixing up the house and had started spending more time at home before his disappearance.

I originally thought Bill accidentally went into the river on his way home. After the info I received from his son I'm now leaning towards the story that he did come home that day but probably didn't leave on his own.

I have not had a chance to dig into the new husband for additional info yet but think it's definitely worth a look. I suspect there will be info into his past.

Bill's brother has provided DNA to NamUs but I do not know about the ancestry sites.

Was the truck ever found?

No. My first reaction was to google his route home to see if there are any bodies of water. There is. This was my assumption until Bill’s son shared his info. There is a lot of info that I can’t share due to privacy issues, or info that was never put out in the media etc. I am now split between Accidental, Bill and truck in water but put there, and truck in water, Bill somewhere else.

Has anyone looked at this possibility?

2887UMPA

This John Doe always struck me as being incredibly young-looking and handsome for the age bracket they place him in (40-60), including a full head of hair. William seems to have that same youthful look to him. I know there is no DNA for the John Doe, but I'm hoping the names in the tattoos would very quickly decide whether this person is a possibility.

Someone on the W's side killed him, don't you think? It's the only thing that makes any sense. The wife, the BF, her relatives.

When we see the "he took off to be with a woman on a boat in Florida" stories, and we know there's never been a hit on the SS# and he didn't take truck and tools, we know that's a lie. And whoever told the lie knows the truth.

The younger neighbor was well known in the area for frequently being in trouble.

Though he wanted to be with Bill's wife, he did not want to raise his children. But by May of 1969 he had moved into Bill's home with her and the children. He did not treat the children well.

Bill's wife's brother (who owned the home)and his wife visited when they heard Bill had left and found the neighbor already moved in. This did not go over well and Bill's wife, neighbor, and the children end up moving a few streets away.

Their previous home, Bill's home, burned down shortly after the move. Bill's wife and her brother never spoke again after this incident.

The neighbor was forced to go into the military and headed off to boot camp. He went AWOL shortly after. The military records building burned down in 1973.

In 1972 the neighbor and Bill's wife got married after her 1st marriage was absolved on the grounds of abandonment. They had 2 more children.

A cop friend of Bill's said Bill had gone to Florida to live on a boat with his girlfriend in a conversation he had with Bill's wife. This was to avoid having to pay any child support. Bill knew no one in FL and his sibling reports he didn't like the beach.

2 yrs ago, a family member of stepdad's (the neighbor), after hearing of the search for Bill, states he was murdered and thrown in a well. When questioned further, its now said to only be a joke.

Bill never picked up his last pay check. It was either picked up by his wife or sent in the mail.

Bill was very close to his mother and would not leave without some contact with her. He took her to church every Sunday and would wait in his truck for her. She passed away 10 years after his disappearance.

All ties were broken between Bill's children and Bill's family. They would not reunite until years later. They are now working together to find out what happened to Bill. Bill has 3 siblings left, aged 90 and ill, 88 and 74. Sibling DNA has been provided.

I have a lot of additional info but not comfortable sharing publicly due to privacy. Please feel free to message me if you'd like to sleuth.

Was the fire at his previous home suspicious? Were any fires suspicious?

Has anyone looked at this possibility?

2887UMPA

This John Doe always struck me as being incredibly young-looking and handsome for the age bracket they place him in (40-60), including a full head of hair. William seems to have that same youthful look to him. I know there is no DNA for the John Doe, but I'm hoping the names in the tattoos would very quickly decide whether this person is a possibility.

@Coffee56 Can you check with Bill's son to determine whether these names are familiar? It looks like height and weight are off a bit and the time span of 1969 - 1973 is iffy. If these names aren't familiar then this is most likely not a match.

Distinguishing Marks/Features: He had recently shaved before his death. He had several tattoos: on his right arm - "I Love Ethyl" with cartoon under it, on his left arm - "Patsy - Doris - Bob - Betty," and on his left leg - "EDDIE".

First of all, a hug from a distance to Bill's son. I hope you find him.
Can we know something else about the neighbour? A name or some extra info?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back