PA PA - Edward Paul Adams,9, Lamont, PA, 16 April 1910

Find Brenda

Reaction score
Website
www.brendacondon.com
Missing Child: Edward Paul Adams, 9
Lamont, PA
Elk County (border of McKean County)

April 16, 1910: On the morning of April 16, 1910, nine year old Edward Paul Adams (known as E.P. or Eddie) was fishing in a stream with four other friends about a half mile from his home in Lamont, PA (just south of Kane, near present day James City on the border of McKean and Elk Counties). Adams and his friends met up with some older boys. One of the older boys tried to scare Adams and his group by telling them his father was a game warden and that they would be arrested for fishing without a license. The younger boys were not scared and continued fishing. When the older boy left them to catch up with his friends, he saw a “wild looking man” hiding in the bushes. He ran back to warn the young boys, but they were slow to respond as they thought he was joking around with them again. When they then heard the “wild man” in the woods, they dropped their fishing poles and began to run with the older boy. They claimed the man was following them and cursing loudly.

When they stopped to catch their breath, they realized that Adams was not with them. They called to him with no response. After a while they cautiously returned to where they had last seen him. Adams and the “wild man” were both gone. They ran home and told Adams’ parents.

Mr. Adams was the foreman at the United Natural Gas Company so he immediately organized a search party of hundreds of his workers and loggers from the local area. They scoured the forest all night, and within a short time thousands of people were looking for little Edward Adams. Even after several extensive searches, no trace of him was found.

Thirteen days later on April 29, mail carrier Carl Tew found a ransom note pinned to a railroad trestle in Lamont. The note, in crudely written letters, read, “WILL RETURN BOY FOR $10,000” with “LEAVE REWARD” on the back. Law enforcement investigated the ransom note, but it too was a dead end.

No trace of Edward Adams was ever found. Law enforcement and his family followed up on several leads throughout the country over the years, but none of them ever panned out.

The story does not end there.

On the same day thirteen miles away in Ludlow, Pennsylvania, seven year old Michael Steffan was fishing on the Windfall Creek with his older friend George Ankovitch. According to Ankovitch, the pair fished until about noon. The older boy claims that he went ahead of Steffan a few times, but when he looked back and saw that Steffan wasn’t there, Ankovitch went back and searched for him. Since he couldn’t find the boy, he figured Steffan left and went home. When Ankovitch went to Steffan’s house to inquire about him, the young boy’s brother stated that he did not come home. When Steffan did not return by dark, a search was immediately launched.

The following Monday afternoon, 400 employees of the Curtis Leather Company, where Steffan’s father worked, were released to search for the boys. They searched the creek and all of the deep spots, all to no avail. As in the Adams’ case, many tips came in from around the country. People claimed to see the boy with strange men or with gypsies, but none of the leads were fruitful.

No concrete link was ever established between the two disappearances. However, foul play is suspected since the two young boys disappeared on the same day, just thirteen miles apart, while both were fishing. Sadly, no trace was ever found of either boy.

Their cases remain unsolved to this day.

Incidentally, 28 years later on May 8, 1938, 4 year old Marjorie West also disappeared without a trace about 11 miles from where both of the boys went missing.

edwin-adams-photo_orig.jpg

Source: http://mckeancountycoldcases.weebly.com/edward-adams-and-michael-steffan.html

Map of missing children of McKean County, PA (3 in close proximity...2 on the same day!)
map-of-mckean-missing_orig.png

Think this might be the Black Hand mentionedin the article
Black Hand (extortion) - Wikipedia

In 1907, a Black Hand headquarters was discovered in Hillsville, Pennsylvania, a village located a few miles west of New Castle, Pennsylvania.[2] The Black Hand in Hillsville established a school designed to train members in the use of the stiletto.[2] Although more successful immigrants were usually targeted, possibly as many as 90% of Italian immigrants and workmen in New York and other communities were threatened with extortion.[2]

Typical Black Hand tactics involved sending a letter to a victim threatening bodily harm, kidnapping, arson, or murder. The letter demanded a specified amount of money to be delivered to a specific place. It was decorated with threatening symbols like a smoking gun, hangman's noose, skull, or knife dripping with blood or piercing a human heart, and was, in many instances, signed with a hand, "held up in the universal gesture of warning", imprinted or drawn in thick black ink.[3]

The Black Hand was a Serbian terrorist organization. They assassinated the Archduke Franz Ferdinand and helped spark WWI.

They also LOVED targetting Italians, which was a good amount of the population of Pittsburgh at the time. However, Pittsburgh is about 2 and a half hours by car from this area on modern highways- so it is possible but very unlikely that elements from there made their way out to a sleepy little town like Lamont.

According to the news article from the Pittsburgh Daily Press, dated April 22, 1910 (as found in Edward Adams and Michael Steffan) , Harry Arrowsmith was seen in the vicinity of Eddie Adams. Was he seen by someone who knew him or did he only match the description of the Wild Man as seen by the boys? I wonder if there's a better description or a photograph of Harry Arrowsmith? Would he have been so distinctive looking as to not be mistaken for anyone else? Also, Harry was known to "wander away from home". Would he have wandered away a four day walk away? I checked GOOGLE maps, and it would take at least 95 hours to walk the distance from Croydon to James City and probably more. Did Harry own a car? Would he have taken a series of trains to get there? Did Harry have a connection to the area?

I want this case to be opened. I hope it is.
So do I! I checked the statue of limitations for kidnapping; this is what I found on Wikipedia:

For indictable (serious) offences such as major theft, murder, kidnapping or sexual assault, a defendant may be charged at any future date; in some cases, warrants have remained outstanding for more than 20 years.

I was in a hurry last night when I read the news article from April 21, 1910, and failed to notice that "Mr. Arrowsmith, father of the missing young man [Harry Arrowsmith], has furnished a description of him and is in the hands of the authorities." It seems singularly odd that the public wasn't also furnished a description so they could keep an eye out for him! Is it possible that Mr. Arrowsmith was an important person whom the authorities were treating with kid gloves? I wonder if Harry was eventually found and then quietly taken off to an insane asylum?

J. Frank Hickey was also a suspect in the kidnappings, and presumed murders, and to me he seems a far better candidate than Harry Arrowsmith since he confessed to killing three young boys and most likely murdered more. According to Murderpedia:

Hickey was suspected of at least twelve other murders. During the two decades he roamed New England, dozens of children went missing or were found murdered. (At least two other serial murderers, Albert Fish and Peter Kudzinowski, were also active in the general area at the same time.)

John Frank Hickey | Murderpedia, the encyclopedia of murderers

among the working class in the Victorian era, children in the Northeast were required to work to help support the family. Many pre-teen boys sold newspapers for money to add to the family coffers. They were constantly harassed by “chicken hawks,” or child molesters, who attempted to entice the children into committing sex acts. These newsboys were Hickey’s favorite victims.

Yes, it's possible that Hickey saw the boys fishing, and took the opportunity to kidnap and murder them, however, "...he was something of a Dandy when sober." But would he really have been the Wild Man the friends of Eddie Adams saw hiding in the bushes? I just don't know.
The Postcard Serial Killer
He looks rather too dapper (albeit utterly loathsome and unattractive)
Forgotten Crimes: 'Postcard Killer' taunts family of slain Lackawanna boy

I hope these cases are reopened and the boys bodies can be found.
I agree with you, Mysteries1974. What needs to be done to encourage these police departments to reopen their cases? Family members getting involved? Has anyone traced their families and contacted them? Would contacting the local police departments help? I imagine the cases are getting no attention at all. It does help I imagine when the media does a piece on these cold cases. Even a little interest from locals might even solve the case. Maybe someone needs to contact the local media? I don't mind doing any of this, but I'm totally in the dark where to start? Anyone have ideas? :eek: I wish I was local, but I live across the country in Washington State. In fact, I live in the middle of "nowhere" ;)

I agree with you, Mysteries1974. What needs to be done to encourage these police departments to reopen their cases? Family members getting involved? Has anyone traced their families and contacted them? Would contacting the local police departments help? I imagine the cases are getting no attention at all. It does help I imagine when the media does a piece on these cold cases. Even a little interest from locals might even solve the case. Maybe someone needs to contact the local media? I don't mind doing any of this, but I'm totally in the dark where to start? Anyone have ideas? :eek: I wish I was local, but I live across the country in Washington State. In fact, I live in the middle of "nowhere" ;)

A local resident showed me a FOIA request he had submitted to the PA State Police regarding these boys cases. Their response was that the case files no longer exist. Very unfortunate.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back