GUILTY NC - Chrystal Taylor, 16, Charlotte, 7 Aug 1989

PonderingThings

Former member
Reaction score
http://www.news14charlotte.com/content/top_stories/default.asp?ArID=114663

A man is finally behind bars for the slaying of a 16-year-old in 1989.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – An ex-convict who frequented a strip club where a 16-year-old runaway worked will spend nine years in prison after agreeing to drop his fight over a charge that he killed the girl in 1989.

Timothy Langley Street was arrested in January 2005, hours after he was released from a Florida prison, on a warrant charging him with murder in the long-dormant case.

Street, 56, entered an Alford plea to a charge of second-degree murder on Thursday, refusing to admit guilt while acknowledging there is enough evidence to convict him. He was sentenced to nine years in prison.

Chrystal Ann Taylor was a runaway who used a fake ID to get a job at a Charlotte topless club.

She disappeared in August 1989 after leaving the club with some men celebrating a bachelor party. Three months later, utility workers found her decomposed body about 15 feet off a Charlotte road.

Street was a prime suspect of police, who said he had been a regular at the club, offered to drive Taylor home the night she disappeared and was the last person seen with her. But they lacked evidence to convict him.

In 2003, a relative of Taylor's asked police about offering a reward for leads in her killing. Detective David Phillips, a member of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg cold-case homicide squad, began to investigate.

He sent a hair found on Taylor's body for DNA testing, which indicated it likely belonged to Street, prosecutor Marsha Goodenow said at Thursday's hearing.

The test "put us over the hump," Phillips said. "Without it, I don't think we would have ever been able to charge him."

Street was arrested on Jan. 1, 2005, when he was released from prison in Bay County, Fla., where he had served time for grand theft.

Taylor's parents and other relatives were in court Thursday.

"I loved her with all my heart," her father, Terry Taylor, said afterward. "I wanted her to become something in life. But she started running around with the wrong people."

Just as a side note, her killer, Timothy Langley Street, only served two years for this crime. Sentence date began 03/02/2006 and he was released on parole 01/18/2008. His parole ended on 04/16/2008 (3 months later). I find this completely unbelievable but it is a matter of public record on the North Carolina Dept. of Corrections website. I attached a picture of Chrystal since no website that I have ever seen actually has a photo of her.

Attachments

• Chrystal cropped 3.jpg
    Chrystal cropped 3.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 16
http://www.news14charlotte.com/content/top_stories/default.asp?ArID=114663

A man is finally behind bars for the slaying of a 16-year-old in 1989.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. An ex-convict who frequented a strip club where a 16-year-old runaway worked will spend nine years in prison after agreeing to drop his fight over a charge that he killed the girl in 1989.

Timothy Langley Street was arrested in January 2005, hours after he was released from a Florida prison, on a warrant charging him with murder in the long-dormant case.

Street, 56, entered an Alford plea to a charge of second-degree murder on Thursday, refusing to admit guilt while acknowledging there is enough evidence to convict him. He was sentenced to nine years in prison.

Chrystal Ann Taylor was a runaway who used a fake ID to get a job at a Charlotte topless club.

She disappeared in August 1989 after leaving the club with some men celebrating a bachelor party. Three months later, utility workers found her decomposed body about 15 feet off a Charlotte road.

Street was a prime suspect of police, who said he had been a regular at the club, offered to drive Taylor home the night she disappeared and was the last person seen with her. But they lacked evidence to convict him.

In 2003, a relative of Taylor's asked police about offering a reward for leads in her killing. Detective David Phillips, a member of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg cold-case homicide squad, began to investigate.

He sent a hair found on Taylor's body for DNA testing, which indicated it likely belonged to Street, prosecutor Marsha Goodenow said at Thursday's hearing.

The test "put us over the hump," Phillips said. "Without it, I don't think we would have ever been able to charge him."

Street was arrested on Jan. 1, 2005, when he was released from prison in Bay County, Fla., where he had served time for grand theft.

Taylor's parents and other relatives were in court Thursday.

"I loved her with all my heart," her father, Terry Taylor, said afterward. "I wanted her to become something in life. But she started running around with the wrong people."
This is so sad.i grew up with Crystal. I remember when she disappeared and then the when they found her.she was a sweet girl inna jungle full of predators. Her home life left much to be desired so she found herself running the streets.
The lowlife who killed my friend only did 2 yrs and some change.she was 16 yrs old. There’s something wrong about that. I wonder if she’d been a cheerleader from myers park not a underage stripper from the north side. how much time the guy would’ve gotten?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back