Rebecca Zahau Wrongful Death/ADAM SHACKNAI FOUND RESPONSIBLE #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynic

Reaction score
The Court’s website says the case age is 1565 days.
It’s been a long journey, but the wait is over.

From the Court’s Register of Actions:
Case Information:
Case Number: 37-2013-00075418-CU-PO-CTL
Date Filed: 11/13/2013
Case Title: Estate of Rebecca Zahau vs. Shacknai
Case Status: Pending
Case Category: Civil - Unlimited
Judicial Officer: Katherine Bacal
Case Age: 1565 days
Department: C-69

Attorneys for the Plaintiff: Gaston, Frederick W; Greer, Curtis K

Attorneys for the Defendant: Adkins, Robb C.; Black, Allen; Elsberg, David; Enns, Krista M.; Fick, Ryan R; Robertson, Drew; Vranjes, Mark; Webb, Dan K; Weisburst, Seth

Thread #1

Thread #2

Thread #3

Thread #4

Here is the latest interview with Caitlin Rother. http://www.kusi.com/caitlin-rother-on-the-rebecca-zahau-trial/

I'll be interviewing Caitlin and will post the interview later today.

Here is the link to the interviews with Keith Greer. You'll have to scroll past other interviews to get to the first Keith Greer interview.

https://soundcloud.com/tricia-arrington-griffith

If you would like any posts from the first thread brought over please alert on the post and request it be moved to thread 2.

Thank you!

I hope Tricia doesn't mind that I've transcribed the majority of Keith Greer's latest interview:

TG: Everybody wanted to know why the defense did not call the medical examiner. The person who ruled this a suicide. The medical examiner you would think this person would be the first one the defense calls. Well Mr Greer said it was no surprise to him because every witness from the sheriff’s department that was called by the defense he was able to put massive holes into their suicide theory. Mr Greer is confident that the suicide theory fell apart because of the fact that he was able to show these witnesses and their stories just didn’t match up, didn’t make sense. Greer said he was anxious and couldn’t wait to get the medical examiner on the stand to blow holes through his theory that Rebecca’s death was a suicide.

The ME was supposed to go on the stand Monday March 26[SUP]th[/SUP] and Sunday night Greer received an email saying the defense was withdrawing the ME as a witness. Greer said in his personal opinion it was because of how he was able to blow holes in all of the sheriff’s department witnesses, the defense didn’t want to have the ME’s theory destroyed on cross.

Now let’s go to the second half of the interview, the one that recorded properly, with Keith Greer:

How are you going to explain the fact that Rebecca’s DNA was on the rope and Adam’s was not? That to me seems a very difficult task to take on.

KG: Well it’s interesting cause I learned a lot about DNA during this process and one of the things that all of the DNA experts were clear on was sometimes people don’t leave DNA, particularly after they’ve washed there’s going to be any of the cells that would shed will be cleaned off, and different people shed at different rates, some people shed a lot some people will not at all, so it’s interesting.

Here we have we know that Adam held the knife that cut her down, we know that Adam loosened up the wrist, the bindings on her wrist, and he said he wedged his hand underneath them in order to check her pulse we know that he took the gag out of her mouth we know that he says he gave her mouth to mouth resuscitation, he said he gave her chest compressions, so we’ve got him touching her all over after she’s hanged, but there’s no DNA. So it’s a question of did he not do that stuff? Well we know she’s cut down, we know there’s a knife there we know he’s touched it, we know the ropes are loose on her hands, there’s evidence that what he’s saying is true, yet no DNA.

And so part of it is where it’s tested, I know the rope on the bed, that’s tying the rope to the bed, they didn’t test in my opinion where the person who looped the rope around the bedpost would have been touching the rope. They tested a knot that wasn’t even associated with the rope being looped around the bed.

So part of it is where they test, where they do the swabbing, part of it is does the person leave DNA? Adam said that he showered that night and he also said he showered that morning. So we have both cases, if in fact he was there that evening then he had already showered just like he did the next morning he didn’t leave any DNA the next morning. What makes us [can’t hear] the night before?

Interestingly he had no idea. If it was in fact him he did not have any idea that he wasn’t a shedder of DNA because he wiped off everything. The door knobs in and out of the room, no fingerprints no DNA, you can see on the doorframe on the door itself the area that’s been wiped clean cause the door’s white and there’s powder, the fingerprint powder shows up 8” above the door knob and 8” below there’s all kinds of powder yet it’s really clean white and the whole area of the door and around the door knob and on the door knobs themselves where it’s been wiped. No DNA on the paintbrushes, if Rebecca painted that herself you’d expect her DNA on there, there’s nobody’s. No DNA on the paint tube that was squeezed 20 some odd times to get that paint out, if Rebecca painted it you’d expect to have her DNA on there. And it’s not. So same with the knives that you’d expect her DNA, her fingerprints are on the carving knife, as if she’s holding the blade facing towards her and no DNA of hers on the handle, which is a porous surface, so I think the DNA evidence helps show that it was murder. Because if you’re gonna commit suicide are you gonna be wiping off, I don’t even know if she could, in the order that things were done.

TG: Finally, the judge decided to not give the jury the option to separate the two questions. So now I’m gonna give you a scenario here, let’s say there’s somebody that absolutely believes it was murder but they just can’t wrap their mind around the fact that there’s no physical evidence of Adam. Do they then have to say the preponderance of the evidence does not convict this person?

KG: [crosstalk] they jump right to Adam. First question is, uh not quoting it exactly, did Adam Shacknai touch Rebecca Zahau in a harmful or offensive manner? Yes or no. Did that conduct cause her death? Those are the first two questions. So the jury doesn’t get to say it was murder but we’re not sure who it was, it’s right to ‘did Adam do it’.

TG: The other thing too, I’m trying to think if I was on that jury, I might say ok the evidence really does show it was murder, he’s the only one that could’ve done it, even though there’s no physical evidence though it’s explained why there is no physical evidence, and we’re not sending him to death or to jail, it’s civil...

[snipped]

KG: When it comes to punitive damages those have to be proven by clear and convincing evidence so it’s more of a challenge obviously to meet the clear and convincing standard.

TG: So if they come back with $100 punitive that would give you an indication that maybe they weren’t quite sure about Adam.

KG: Well they’d probably come back with zero, it would either be something substantial or zero, they have to find that it’s clear and convincing first and if they do find that then they can come back with the larger number, but they may put a very large value on the damages caused by her mother losing her 32-year old daughter who was definitely a very important part of her life, taking care of her, consoling her, taking care of her financially, emotionally, it was a very strong relationship, so they could put a big number on that.

TG: How long do you think, I know this is a question that’s very difficult to answer, but normally what do juries take, 2 - 3 days maybe?

KG: Yeah, it could, I think they first come in they probably all I presume the vast majority say it’s murder if not all of them, I think all should but maybe there’ll be a straggler or some unique person in there that doesn’t, and then the next step of who else could it be? The defense on closing argument will probably throw out a few names of people that it could be, but then I think if the jury look at it and say there’s no evidence of those people, there’s no handwriting, no knot-tying, no motive, it looks like the only evidence we have is Adam and there’s nothing about anyone else, if they look at it logically and apply the law cleanly it shouldn’t be that long a process. I’d expect it by the end of the day on Tuesday.

TG: But don’t they, if they say it’s murder, they have to pretty much say it was Adam don’t they? They have to be either he is culpable or he’s not?

KG: Yeah, murder’s not even a question, I’m gonna recommend to the jury that they do that, just get that out the way, cause it changes how you look at the evidence. If you believe that it is murder you look at the evidence very differently than if you believe it’s suicide. Cause if you believe it’s murder then all of a sudden a lot of questions are answered, ‘cause she didn’t do this herself, so then the question is who did it? Who, other than her, did it? And then what evidence we have appears to point to Adam. Unless you take what the defense experts say which says the other evidence points to nobody. The door can’t be compared, the writing on the door can’t be compared to anything, and anybody could have tied the ropes that way, and he’s just an unusual guy and his mannerisms when he saw the body that morning, it’s open to interpretation. It’s a challenging case. But I think looking at the evidence it weighs in our favor, and hopefully the jury believes so too.

Most everyone is appalled that Rebecca was left uncovered on the lawn for a lengthy amount of time. Those sentiments are understandable. Expressing opinions about how the investigation appears to have been flawed, such as that some items of evidentiary value were not tested or collected, is fine. However, to take those emotions a step further and accuse law enforcement of taking bribes, colluding, conspiracy, turning a blind eye to murder, corruption, being an accessory to murder after the fact is way out of line.

Continuing to do so will result in the loss of posting privileges.

There is NO proof any of that occurred, NO links to a federal investigation into corruption in that department and not a theory being presented in the civil trial.

Websleuths assists and collaborates with some law enforcement agencies in cases. We have members who are verified law enforcement officers. Condoning or allowing unproven accusations, sentiments, speculation, innuendo, would be detrimental to our partnerships with law enforcement.

I agree 100 percent with Harmony.
Believe me if there had been the slighest bit of evidence Keith Greer would have brought it up.

There is plenty to talk about without making unfounded accusations.
Enjoy your weekend.
Tricia

Greer is up..

How RZ actually died the process, we don’t know and it doesn’t matter. She was murdered. We have Motive, opportunity, placement , he was there.

Mr Greer is emotional.

What would be RZ’s last words.

He has closed!

Update from the page.

Quick update, the jury went into deliberation room. It is hard to hold back emotion. Now its waiting!!!!! Please continue to pray

https://www..com/rydrn-justice-for-rebecca

What type of monetary damages did Plaintiff ask for? I know that isn't the reason for the case but he would have had to ask for something. Forgive me because I couldn't watch the live feed at work due to working on my own clients' cases :fence:

What type of monetary damages did Plaintiff ask for? I know that isn't the reason for the case but he would have had to ask for something. Forgive me because I couldn't watch the live feed at work due to working on my own clients' cases :fence:

If I recall correctly, Mr. Greer asked for $5,000 a year for Rebecca's mom for the remainder of her life (based on the amount RZ was sending to her before her death), and $.01 (1 cent) for something else I can't remember.

Hopefully someone will come along to correct this if I'm wrong.

I believe it was $5000 for each year that RZ could have continued contributed to supporting her mother ( I recall the Judge explaining this just prior to closing arguments - that the jury have to estimate how long she has left to live)

And one penny damages for the battery charges.

This was to communicate loudly that it is not money the family are after, it’s justice.

( Taylor swift asked for the same one penny damages in her recent sexual assault case I seem to recall)

Just my opinion....( sandiegolawyer, please post your expert one!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Zahau family, including mother Pari and sister Mary Zahau-Loehner, asked for one penny in economic damages on behalf of Rebecca and $5,000 a year for the rest of Pari Zahau’s life, for loss of support from by her late daughter.

Greer would not put a price on noneconomic damages, saying: “I don’t know what value to put on a mother’s loss of a daughter.”

https://www.courthousenews.com/was-it-suicide-or-murder-at-the-mansion/

Jury Note to Judge:

Ex. 855 pg. 9
Item #20g #21g #12g
Is there any more information/evidence regarding these collected items?

Stipulated Response from Court:

The jurors have been provided with all the exhibits received in evidence.

A gentle correction: SDPD did not investigate the case; it was the San Diego Sheriff's Office.

It has always troubled me that the polygrapher that gave Adam Shacknai his lie detector test, recommended that another test be given when the results were inconclusive. Why was it not done? SMH....

https://radaronline.com/exclusives/2011/09/adam-shacknai-polygrapher-recommended-another-lie-detector-test/

I was one who came in at the end and appreciate all the excellent research, knowledge, facts and information so many contributed. I was able to gain insight into this case & learned so much.

I am one that prays & firmly believes the jury will make the right decision.

Portions of Dan Webb’s closing argument, April 3, 2018.
Underwhelming, IMO.

[video=youtu;fDJZlv_mu38]http://youtu.be/fDJZlv_mu38[/video]

[video=youtu;6l6s2IYc1z4]http://youtu.be/6l6s2IYc1z4[/video]

I HATE WAITING FOR A VERDICT! :gaah:

That's all.

Lezah, if you're reading, was your friend in the courtroom today and if so have any impressions or anything else of interest to report?

I didn't see anything in the video about the items the jury asked about?

Edited: I found it by starting at KUSI.COM.

Thanks!

DOUBLE WOW! The three things the jury asked about were NOT discussed by either the plaintiff or defense side during the trial.

Same link as above.

Also: jurors opted to work through their afternoon break.

Hearing more about the mannequin yesterday, I think it was a master stroke IIRC that Greer played the 911 call while it was visible in the courtroom.

The jurors could see for themselves that AS didn't need a table to cut her down.

And I didn't hear all of Webb's closing today (my boss interrupted my surreptitious listening, THE NERVE!) but I didn't hear any rebuttal of that demonstrative at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave