OR OR - Teresa Peroni, 27, Selma, 3 July 1983

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score

Teresa Peroni
Josephine County, Oregon
27 year old white female

Height (inches)64.0
Weight (pounds)130.0

Hair: Brown; Long hair
Eyes: Blue

slim build

Following an argument over Peroni having another lover, Peroni and boyfriend went into the woods at 1270 Illinois River Rd. Peroni never returns.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/20132/

I can say with relative certainty that Teresa Peroni has probably been located, but not sure how the Josephine County Sheriff is approaching this case.

Unidentified Person Case

She was last seen around one kilometre from where the remains were located in 1997, and was last seen being led into the same woods by her boyfriend.

Also this comparison suggests that they are an almost certain match:

Attachments

• Josephine County.jpg
    Josephine County.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Josephine.JPG
    Josephine.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 6
Teresa Joann Peroni – The Charley Project

Teresa Joann Peroni
  • peroni_teresa.jpg
  • peroni_teresa2.jpg
Peroni, circa 1983

• Missing Since07/03/1983
  • Missing FromSelma, Oregon
  • ClassificationMissing
  • Age27 years old
  • Height and Weight5'4, 130 pounds
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female. Brown hair, blue eyes. Peroni's nickname is Terry.
Details of Disappearance
Peroni was last seen in Selma, Oregon on July 3, 1983. She and her boyfriend got into an argument and he accused her of infidelity. Afterwards they went into the woods in the 1200 block of Illinois River Road. She has never been heard from again. Few details are available in her case.

I can say with relative certainty that Teresa Peroni has probably been located, but not sure how the Josephine County Sheriff is approaching this case.

Unidentified Person Case

She was last seen around one kilometre from where the remains were located in 1997, and was last seen being led into the same woods by her boyfriend.

Also this comparison suggests that they are an almost certain match:

I called JoCo PD today to see if i could get confirmation regarding this. The answer i got was that while the remains found in 97 were brought to their attention, there is no confirmation on file that the remains are Peroni's.
Which struck me as a really weird way of saying "we don't know" aaaaand honestly irritated me.
The case is cold though. Does that mean there's a chance i could maybe get the file and see about getting more info?

I called JoCo PD today to see if i could get confirmation regarding this. The answer i got was that while the remains found in 97 were brought to their attention, there is no confirmation on file that the remains are Peroni's.
Which struck me as a really weird way of saying "we don't know" aaaaand honestly irritated me.
The case is cold though. Does that mean there's a chance i could maybe get the file and see about getting more info?

I received this reply in 2017:

'LE was already aware of this possibility and is trying to find a means to confirm the match'.

Thank you so much for your interest in this case, because it continues to frustrate me that it hasn't been closed when the evidence in front of us is so cogent. Teresa has been missing for such a long time, and her family and friends deserve closure (based off the probable assumption that the unidentified decedent is Teresa).

I received this reply in 2017:

'LE was already aware of this possibility and is trying to find a means to confirm the match'.

Thank you so much for your interest in this case, because it continues to frustrate me that it hasn't been closed when the evidence in front of us is so cogent. Teresa has been missing for such a long time, and her family and friends deserve closure (based off the probable assumption that the unidentified decedent is Teresa).

I'm wondering if that means they either don't have Teresa's DNA or they don't have the funds to extract DNA from the Jane Doe.
Knowing Oregon she's probably been cremated by now. :(

Oh, also. I contacted a woman who was a friend of Teresa's. She said that the boyfriend last seen with Teresa, a fellow named Marcus, was later arrested for stabbing a girl in California and allegedly confessed to this girl that he'd done worse to somebody in Oregon.

Nobody can remember the guys last name though.

Slight update- the friend of Teresa's i mentioned above reached out to the regional contact listed on namus. Was told that a comparison was made (which is interesting because namus doesn't have the doe from 97 listed in rule-outs on Teresa's namus page, nor is Teresa in the does rule outs.) But they can't reveal any information to anyone who isn't family.

Teresa's mother passed away a few years ago according to the friend. Teresa has a brother out there somewhere, but we don't know his name or location.

If i could find her mother's obituary it's likely the brother could be tracked down. I wonder if he knows about any of this.

boosting for Teresa with a photograph that a friend of hers shared through facebook.
I don't know why, but I really like this photo.
Also somebody else believes that they recall her having cherries tattooed on her chest at some point.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1634766314649.jpg
    FB_IMG_1634766314649.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 17
Okay, so a little bit of news regarding Teresa's case. I found her maternal half sister, and she's uploaded her DNA to Gedmatch. I have also been in touch with the state ME regarding this potential match, and she's looking in to what can be done to possibly compare this doe to the DNA from her aunt that they have on file, and the DNA from her sister.

Also, here's a photograph of Marcus, no last name known, the last person known to have seen Teresa Peroni.
From what little information I have uncovered, he was once a musician from New York, which is where he grew up.
Rumor has it that he told several people that he'd killed Teresa while drunk, to intimidate them, and that he was arrested for stabbing a woman in California sometime after Teresa vanished.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1635115973371.jpg
    FB_IMG_1635115973371.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 6
Okay, so a little bit of news regarding Teresa's case. I found her maternal half sister, and she's uploaded her DNA to Gedmatch. I have also been in touch with the state ME regarding this potential match, and she's looking in to what can be done to possibly compare this doe to the DNA from her aunt that they have on file, and the DNA from her sister.
THANK YOU! This is wonderful progress after a stall that looked like it could become permanent. In some of these cases, time is seriously of the essence because there may have only been a few family members to get DNA from, and they may be quickly passing.

Just wanted to add my sincere thanks as well for all your hard work! So relieved and grateful to see some movement on this case.

Okay, so thanks to some old heads out here in the Illinois Valley, the last name of the man Teresa was last seen with has been uncovered- Marcus Anthony Sanfratello.
The story about the stabbing also seems legit, as per newspaper archives I've dug up. Attached is the article about the stabbing. Seems like if he's willing to commit violence against his ex wife and her teenage daughter, there's a strong possibility that him being the last known person around Teresa doesn't bode well..

Attachments

• received_1567096567038270.jpeg
    received_1567096567038270.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 7
A 200' high aerial view overlooking the Illinois River Road outside of Selma, Oregon. Views of nearby Eight Dollar Mountain leading to the west towards snowy Pearsoll Peak.

This location also marks the area (address 1270 Illinois River Road) where 27 year old Teresa Joann Peroni was last seen on July 3, 1983. After having an argument with her boyfriend where he accused her of infidelity, the couple both went into the woods at this location & she has not been seen since (I smell nothing foul here!). There isn't much other info related to the case.

Also to note, on January 4, 1997, the partial remains of a female were located about one mile away on Valley Heights Road, missing a torso & limbs. The unknown female's age was given to be between 25-35 years & could very well be that of Teresa Perosi. It is not determined how old the remains are. Both case links are posted below & are being currently treated as two different individuals. Currently Perosi's case remains cold w/ little attention being given & no one charged. If alive as of this panorama posting she would be 65.

1983 Teresa Peroni: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

1997 unidentified female: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Small update, nothing super significant but probably worth noting in this thread- I made contact with Marcus Sanfratello, quite on accident, after he mistakenly responded to one of my messages by inviting me to some Facebook group about wolves. Pretty sure it was one of those mass-invitations and because I had messaged him recently I ended up on the list. Anyway, when I responded by inquiring about Teresa, he blocked me. Which, you know, isn't weird at all or anything (that's sarcasm, obviously).
It seems like the hang up in getting Teresa compared to the 97 Jane Doe is definitely due to decomposition and a lack of dental records. But I have uncovered something interesting- Teresa had epilepsy and was prone to seizures, she was in and out of local hospitals with some regularity as a result. Would one of the local hospitals possibly have her dentals, and if so how would we go about obtaining them to get them to the ME for a comparison? (I know somebody here said a comparison had already been made, but I have spoken with the Medical Examiner and she's informed me that they need DNA or dentals in order to solidly identify the Doe)

Hey hi hello everybody. Just dropping by the thread to let folks know that I have officially received a redacted copy of Teresa Peroni's missing persons report, and several of the supplementary reports. Unfortunately, three of the documents I was given by the Josephine County Sheriff's Office are prints of old microfilm, meaning that some portions are obscured by a weird white glare. I'm working with a friend to restore whatever relevant information is within the unreadable bits. Hopefully we can get that accomplished soon.

From what I can gather from the most recent supplementary report, in 2004 the investigation was re-opened and the FBI was briefly involved. The FBI was supposed to obtain the skull fragments from the 1997 Valley Heights Jane Doe, discovered about a quarter mile from Teresa's last known location, so that they could perform mitochondrial DNA tests.
JCSO detective Ken Selig, who I have nothing but good things to say about, (every time his name pops up in one of my local cases I desperately wish he could un-retire himself) contacted the Central Point Medical Examiners office several times over the course of about two months, attempting to get the skull fragments. It seems the remains were misplaced, as Selig had to unfortunately retract his request for FBI assistance. later that year due to being unable to locate the skull.
The good news is, even though this is where the report ends, we know that skull has been located since, and is eventually going to be compared to Teresa's familial DNA. The state ME has reiterated to me that she cannot tell me much about the comparison or results, as this is classified as an 'active investigation.'
I would love to have faith that JCSO is in fact actively investigating Terry's disappearance and presumed homicide. (the 2004 report actually re-categorizes the case as a homicide) But I know they are extremely limited in their resources, and do not even have detectives in the department.

I have emailed JCSO to see if they will give any update regarding the status of this investigation, or what needs to be done to further it.

Also, here's Teresa's new missing person's flyer, courtesy of the Josephine County Missing Person Project.

Attachments

• TERESA REDO (1).jpg
    TERESA REDO (1).jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 5
Also, has anybody else noticed that in NAMUS, both Teresa and the 1997 Jane Doe have THE SAME CASE NUMBER? I would say that's a pretty clear indication that JCSO is working under the assumption that this Doe is in fact Teresa (or Terry, as her friends called her)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back