Canada - Canadian hockey team fatal bus accident tragedy, 6 April 2018

gregjrichards

Reaction score
Breaking News

“A bus carrying a Canadian hockey team in Saskatchewan has collided with a truck, causing numerous fatalities.

Canadian authorities said that they are trying to determine the number of dead and injured.

News of the crash was reported by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.

The crash was said to involve members of the Humboldt Broncos.

The Broncos were on their way to play a game at 6pm local time on Friday against the Nipawin Hawks of the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League, CKOM reported.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ashes-truck-Western-Canada.html#ixzz5BxG0Vr51

E6A906C9-B0B1-43F3-8664-74B0FB778B44.jpeg

Praying for everyone involved.

It’s just tragic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s just tragic.

It’s absolutely horrendous I have seen a photo of the accident wreckage on media articles and it is horrific. The number of fatalities and injured is unfortunately going to be high.

It’s absolutely horrendous I have seen a photo of the accident wreckage on media articles and it is horrific. The number of fatalities and injured is unfortunately going to be high.

I worry too for all the EMS workers. :(. All the parents. I just can't even go there. Heartbreaking.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/nipawin-humboldt-bus-crash-1.4609554
The community was coming out to help, with local grocery stores bringing food, while others brought phone chargers and help to connect families with relatives. Those who had heard news about their loved ones quickly left to nearby hospitals, while others were still waiting to hear news, he said.

Parents and family of individuals seeking information about their family members who may have been in the accident can call 306-752-8700.

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local-news/humboldt-broncos-bus-involved-in-highway-crash
In Humboldt, Mayor Rob Muench said a mobile crisis centre had been set up at the city’s Uniplex Convention Centre. Muench said the centre had already started filling up with people, and that counsellors were being made available.

“We’re asking people to come down to the Uniplex, Jubilee Hall or the Elgar Peterson Arena just to show some support for the community and each other,” Muench said.
An image posted on Facebook with the hashtag #HumboldtStrong was being shared Friday evening after a semi crashed into a bus carrying the Humboldt Broncos hockey team and multiple fatalities were reported. SASwp

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 105
Tweet from Prime Minister of Canada

Justin Trudeau
Justin Trudeau
@JustinTrudeau
I cannot imagine what these parents are going through, and my heart goes out to everyone affected by this terrible tragedy, in the Humboldt community and beyond.

The first known fatality is Humboldt Broncos Head Coach and General Manager Darcy Haugan. He was married with two young sons. Darcy’s sister confirmed this on Twitter.

There are unconfirmed reports of double digit fatalities hopefully this is not the case.

I've heard the double digit rumour as well (high double digits) from a source very close to the accident scene but nothing confirmed by MSM yet.

As a hockey billet family, a tragedy like this is our worst fear when the boys are traveling to away games. Many of these 16-20 yr olds are away from home and living with families who are entrusted with their care. I know I'd be devastated to get news like this, I can't imagine what the players' families are going through. Thoughts and prayers to all involved with the team and to the emergency personnel who will have horrible images seared into their memories forever. #brokenhearted #prayforHumboldt

Charles Hamilton Journalist

Charles Hamilton
@_chamilton
RCMP just addressesed the people here saying they are still trying to account for everyone on that bus. But it’s clear from the waves of grief rippling through the crowd that information on the dead is trickling in.

You know things are not good when Darren Dreger tweeted early on that the "loss is believed to be staggering".

Darren Dreger
✔
@DarrenDreger

RCMP are expected to provide an update very soon on the Humboldt Broncos tragic bus crash. The loss is believed to be staggering.
10:59 PM - Apr 6, 2018

You know things are not good when Darren Dreger tweeted early on that the "loss is believed to be staggering".

Darren Dreger
✔
@DarrenDreger

RCMP are expected to provide an update very soon on the Humboldt Broncos tragic bus crash. The loss is believed to be staggering.
10:59 PM - Apr 6, 2018

I’m reading RCMP have confirmed 14 people have died and another 14 are injured

Devin Heroux
Devin Heroux
@Devin_Heroux
Just now from RCMP. 14 deaths in Humboldt Broncos bus crash

“We can now confirm fourteen people have died as a result of this collision. The other fourteen people were sent to hospital with a variety of injuries”

Devin Heroux
@Devin_Heroux
·
40s
“We are not confirming the identity of the victims at this time, including whether the deceased are players or coaches. We will be working with our partner agencies to ensure families are notified as soon as possible”

May they Rest In Peace. Three people are in critical condition. I hope all the injured survive.

Breaking News

“A bus carrying a Canadian hockey team in Saskatchewan has collided with a truck, causing numerous fatalities.

Canadian authorities said that they are trying to determine the number of dead and injured.

News of the crash was reported by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.

The crash was said to involve members of the Humboldt Broncos.

The Broncos were on their way to play a game at 6pm local time on Friday against the Nipawin Hawks of the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League, CKOM reported.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ashes-truck-Western-Canada.html#ixzz5BxG0Vr51

View attachment 132570

Praying for everyone involved.

There's only ~24 people in the team photo. (Couldn't count right because my phone kept wanting to minimize the pic.)

14 dead plus 14 injured is basically the whole team?!?!

Heartbreaking :tears:

at least 14 deaths ... from the DailyNews article: The SJHL is a second-tier junior league comprising players between the ages of 16 and 21.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/c...ckey-team-bus-crashes-truck-article-1.3919769
[FONT=&amp]Fourteen people were killed after a tractor-trailer collided with a bus carrying a Canadian Junior League hockey team, police said late Friday.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The accident occurred around 5 p.m. on Highway 355 in Gronlid, Saskatchewan, just 36 miles away from Nipawan, where the Humboldt Broncos were scheduled to play Game 5 of a playoff series.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The remaining 14 were hospitalized, with three in critical condition.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Darren Opp of the Nipawin Hawks hockey team, said a semi T-boned the players’ bus and a photo from the wreckage appears to show one of the vehicles on its side.[/FONT]

Attachments

• 2DAE5A05-1EA9-4033-897C-F9BF6A24E576.jpg
    2DAE5A05-1EA9-4033-897C-F9BF6A24E576.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 77
Early reports with videos:

[h=1]12:11 am: RCMP confirm multiple fatalities, injuries in bus crash involving Humboldt Broncos Hockey club
https://globalnews.ca/video/4129874...crash-involving-humboldt-broncos-hockey-club/[/h]
[h=1]11:58 pm: RCMP discuss fatal bus, tractor-trailer crash involving Humboldt Broncos hockey club
https://globalnews.ca/video/4129878...-crash-involving-humboldt-broncos-hockey-club[/h]
11:26 pm: Sheldon Kennedy, who was involved in 1986 bus crash, reacts to news of Humboldt Broncos bus crash https://globalnews.ca/video/4129845...reacts-to-news-of-humboldt-broncos-bus-crash/

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/saskatchewan-rcmp-say-14-dead-14-hurt-in-bus-crash/ar-AAvzw4I

[FONT=&amp]Police say there were 28 people including the driver on board the Humboldt Broncos bus when the crash occurred at around 5 p.m. on Highway 35 north of Tisdale.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]No names were released and police would not say whether the dead include players or coaches. There was no mention of the truck driver.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Garinger said the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League team includes players from Edmonton, Slave Lake and Airdrie in Alberta and from Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Michelle Straschnitzki, who lives in Airdrie, said her 18-year old son Ryan had been taken to hospital in Saskatoon.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]"We talked to him, but he said he couldn't feel his lower extremities so I don't know what's going on," she said, noting she will go to Saskatchewan on Saturday.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]"I am freaking out. I am so sad for all of the teammates and I am losing my mind."

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Garinger said the Broncos are a close-knit team from the small city of about 6,000 people 110 kilometres east of Saskatoon.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]"This team has been an incredible rock in this community," he said. "These young athletes. They are incredible young men, every one of them."[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Garinger, who has one of the players living in his home, said they still didn't know his fate

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"We just need to try to support each other as we deal with this incredible loss to our community, to our province, to our hockey world."[/FONT]

Attachments

• D1368E1C-427A-4E06-84B2-380A919C7DD6.jpg
    D1368E1C-427A-4E06-84B2-380A919C7DD6.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 64
“Hooked up to drips in hospital beds, three boys solemnly hold hands.

United in grief, they are among only 14 survivors on a bus of 28 that was involved in a horror crash with a truck in Canada last night.

The bus was transporting the Humboldt Broncos junior ice hockey team to a match when it collided with the semi-trailer in Saskatchewan.

Tragically, half of those onboard the first vehicle were killed - including the boys' beloved head coach and some of their young teammates.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world...junior-12319285.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Heartbreaking. They are so young to cope with a tragedy like this.

Has there been any information about the truck driver? I wondered if they were alive as eyewitnesses at the scene say they failed to stop at a stop sign/light and went into the bus.

Damn. I was monitoring the news last night before I went to bed, knowing the news was going to be bad, but I was still shocked at the scope of the tragedy.
I'm just devastated for the team's loved ones and the community. So many towns affected, and Humboldt, with a population of only 6,000 will be shattered.

The survivors will have a tough go of it. Those poor young guys. The poor parents. The poor team organizers.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drury Lane
Back