Teen Killed By Sword Falling From Bedroom Wall

christine2448

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
BRANDON, Fla. -- A teenager died after he was slashed by a sword that dislodged from the wall of his bedroom while he was playing ball with his siblings, authorities said.

The sheriff's office said 15-year-old Joshua Hershberger was sitting on the floor of his bedroom Monday night, bouncing a ball with his 9-year-old sister and 14-year-old brother. The ball bounced up and knocked a 29-inch sword off the wall where it was displayed.

The high school sophomore was slashed in the shoulder and neck and was pronounced dead at a hospital in Brandon, a Tampa suburb.

The death is being considered an accident and no charges are expected to be filed.

WSBTV.com

IdahoMom said:
How sad!! I'm sure his parents are just beside themselves.
I just cannot imagine how they are feeling, and the children who were in the room when it happened. I am sorry for all of them.

My son LOVES swords, he is 12, I am still refusing to purchase him one until he gets much older....just the other day he said "Mom, I can display them on the wall, I won't play with them!"...well, I have already printed this to show him tonight after dinner, we will discuss this.

JUST YESTERDAY I hung up one of my hubby's swords on the wall. Ugh.

Guess I'll be taking that down tonight.

I don't understand, Was the sword not sheathed? Do people display dangerous weapons like swords without the case? How is that different from leaving a loaded gun lying about?

I am very sad for this boy and his family. What a terrible tragedy.

Cypros said:
I don't understand, Was the sword not sheathed? Do people display dangerous weapons like swords without the case? How is that different from leaving a loaded gun lying about?

Cypros that's exactly what I was thinking. My husband has a couple of antique swords, but they're in protective cardboard type material and in the attic. They don't fit my decor, but I couldn't imagine putting one up without the sheath. Its a horrible thing this family will have to live with and they have my prayers.

amandab said:
JUST YESTERDAY I hung up one of my hubby's swords on the wall. Ugh.

Guess I'll be taking that down tonight.
Take it down!!!!!!!!

My sons' friend has a sword on the wall, and while it is not locked like a gun case, it is put up in such a way it would require some effort to get off of the wall. A lock of some sort is a very reasonable thought though....can't believe I hadn't thought of it like that. Some thing I will be suggesting to the parents.

This story made me cringe & I can totally see how this could happen. The poor parents....

My hubby collects swords...we have at times displayed many many of them. At the present they're put away in a closet.
Many swords are very fancy / a sheath would hide the beauty. Ours that were out of the sheath were displayed with a great deal of care. Just in case one ever fell nobody would be injured. After seeing this they are so unsafe...They will never be displayed in our home now after reading about this.....NEVER! :bang: :doh:

This is truly a horrible accident! God be with them all.By the same token, let's not overreact TOO much about displaying swords. The key is to tell your children not to play anywhere near them. Those kids were old enough to know that had they ever been told, which they probably weren't.

Cypros and Jeana DITTO!!!

I would NEVER put a dangerous item up as decor with children in the house.
Just the temptation for boys to play with such things stops me.

I am sorry for this families loss but I am totally confused as to why a parent would think this was a good idea?
Maybe trying to be "cool" parents??

Dark Knight said:
This is truly a horrible accident! God be with them all.By the same token, let's not overreact TOO much about displaying swords. The key is to tell your children not to play anywhere near them. Those kids were old enough to know that had they ever been told, which they probably weren't.
You can't tell a kid not to play in his own room.

They shouldn't have a sword hanging in his room. JMO

Cypros said:

What? You've never been to a restaurant that had swords mounted on the wall?
It's not an uncommon--though somewhat dubious--decorating scheme.

BillyGoatGruff said:
What? You've never been to a restaurant that had swords mounted on the wall?
It's not an uncommon--though somewhat dubious--decorating scheme.
I have seen restaraunts do that too. But when you are home and have kids they should be more careful. JMO

Mabel said:
You can't tell a kid not to play in his own room.
Whoops, I didn't notice it was in his bedroom. Well, then don't hang the swords in the kid's bedroom! That's a bit of a DUH right there! Even if he collects them. If nothing else, you can certainly tell the kid not to sit beneath the swords when playing. :doh:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back