GUILTY MI - Lost Teen Narrowly Escapes Being Shot, Rochester Hills, Apr 2018

Cappuccino

Reaction score
That neighborhood is just a couple of miles from me. I am shocked to know that folks in my community would behave in such a brazen fashion :(

Rochester Hills man charged with shooting at black teen

Rochester Hills — A homeowner faces up to life in prison after being charged with firing a shotgun blast at a lost teen the man feared was breaking into his house.

Jeffery C. Zeigler, 53, was charged with assault with intent to murder and possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony in a video arraignment from jail before Rochester Hills District Judge Julie Nicholson. The assault charge can carry a penalty of any term of years up to life in prison and the firearm offense carries a mandatory two-year sentence...

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/n...ice-rochester-hills-man-shoots-teen/33801593/

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news...ked-for-directions-into-yard-fired-gun-at-him

That neighborhood is just a couple of miles from me. I am shocked to know that folks in my community would behave in such a brazen fashion :(

It seems this guy has a history - he fired his gun at someone a few years back in a road rage incident. I wonder why he didn't have his license removed then? This was very nearly a tragedy.

Rochester Hills homeowner charged after allegedly shooting at teen seeking directions

A Rochester Hills man has been charged with assault with intent to murder and possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony for reportedly shooting at a teenager who came to his house asking for directions to school Thursday morning.

Jeffrey Craig Zeigler, 53, given a $50,000 cash bond at his video arraignment Friday before Judge Julie Nicholson of 52-3 District Court in Rochester Hills...

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/gene...allegedly-shooting-at-teen-seeking-directions

I believe this country is so divided, in such a state of fear/suspicion/confusion that anything is likely to happen. We have seen robberies, home invasions, assaults and murder enough to make us all wonder if there is any safety left in this country, for anyone, homeowners included.

I believe this country is so divided, in such a state of fear/suspicion/confusion that anything is likely to happen. We have seen robberies, home invasions, assaults and murder enough to make us all wonder if there is any safety left in this country, for anyone, homeowners included.

You're living in one of the richest countries on the planet, in a time of unprecedented peace and luxury. There is no need for such insane paranoia that someone knocking on your door is a reason to shoot them. How on earth would you have coped back in the days of the Wild West?

"A 14-year-old missed his bus and it nearly cost him his life.

Things took a dangerous turn when Brennan Walker went looking for help at a Rochester Hills home Thursday morning and was confronted by a man with a gun. "

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/loc...fter-asking-for-directions-in-rochester-hills

:facepalm:

Very scary to think there are people like that out there with guns.

How on earth does one young lad knocking on the door equate to people breaking
in? no wonder he was frightened.

Guns in the hands of people like that are a menace.

They sound rather unstable to me.

Here's a map of Christian Hills subdivision in Rochester Hills. Notice how many streets there are with very little rhyme or reason. School bus stops in designated areas of the sub. Unless one is familiar with the neighborhood, it would be easy to get lost. Additionally, walkers would need to wend their way through the subdivision to the east in order to get to Livernois and Rochester High School (on Livernois south of Walton Blvd.).

https://www.google.com/search?ei=5i......1.1.64.psy-ab..0.19.2388...0.0.NPBgax_UPZQ

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/loc...fter-asking-for-directions-in-rochester-hills

[FONT=&amp]UPDATED:[/FONT][FONT=&amp] APR 13 2018 02:24PM EDT[/FONT]

[...]
[FONT=&amp]"My mom says that, black boys get shot because sometimes they don't look their age, and I don't look my age. I'm 14; but I don't look 14. I'm kind of happy that, like, I didn't become a statistic," he says in retrospect.[/FONT]
[...]
[FONT=&amp]Lisa was at work when she got the call. She says her husband is deployed in Syria, so she was assuming she was getting a call about him until she realized they were calling about Brennan. She dropped everything and immediately went to the substation to be with her son. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]That's where investigators told her the family's Ring doorbell recorded the encounter. Investigators watched the video with Brennan and his mom. She says the video confirmed their suspicions. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]"One of the things that stands out, that probably angers me the most is, while I was watching the tape, you can hear the wife say, 'Why did "these people" choose my house?'" she says, before taking a long pause. "Who are, "these people?" And that set me off. I didn't want to believe it was what it appeared to look like. When I heard her say that, it was like, but it is [what it looks like]."[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Authorities haven't released that security video. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]"We should not have to live in a society where we have to fend for ourselves. If I have a question, I should be able to turn to my village and knock on a door and ask a question. I shouldn't be fearful of a child, let alone a skin tone," she adds. "This is a decent neighborhood. If anything -- why would I knock on your door to rob you?"[/FONT]
[...]
[FONT=&amp]The retired Detroit firefighter was arraigned Friday afternoon. Jeffrey Zeigler has been charged with Assault with Intent to Murder; and Felony Firearms. He received a bond of $50,000, with conditions, and is due in court again April 24. [/FONT]
[...]

I’m still trying to get past that he shot at the teen as he was running away.

I'm still trying to get past that he opened his door in the first place - if he thought he was going to be robbed etc, why open the effing door? Imo, he was clearly itching to shoot someone. He's had a gun forever and finally had a chance to use it? In his opinion?

I'm still trying to get past that he opened his door in the first place - if he thought he was going to be robbed etc, why open the effing door? Imo, he was clearly itching to shoot someone. He's had a gun forever and finally had a chance to use it? In his opinion?

Maybe he's a fan of George Zimmerman and thought he was 'standing his ground.'

You're living in one of the richest countries on the planet, in a time of unprecedented peace and luxury. There is no need for such insane paranoia that someone knocking on your door is a reason to shoot them. How on earth would you have coped back in the days of the Wild West?

Now what does the contention that I/we are living in one of the richest countries on the planet, in luxury, have anything to do with this case? As for PEACE, well, that just isn't true. There is no peace in this country, hasn't been for the past 8 or 9 years. This is a country divided along racial/religious lines, thanks to past happenings in Washington.

How I would have coped in the wild west is a ridiculous question since we no longer have the wild west, we just have crime and lawsuits. We have 95 year old veterans beaten to death by some critter who "they" say was venting his "outrage" for whatever slights, etc, ad nauseum, he may have imagined some old man perpetrated against him.

We need to stop pitting people against each other, then maybe the craziness will stop. We need to stop excusing real crime, dead victims, because of some imagined slights/whatever that happened in the past. We need to get real and understand why people are so paranoid.

Now what does the contention that I/we are living in one of the richest countries on the planet, in luxury, have anything to do with this case? As for PEACE, well, that just isn't true. There is no peace in this country, hasn't been for the past 8 or 9 years. This is a country divided along racial/religious lines, thanks to past happenings in Washington.

How I would have coped in the wild west is a ridiculous question since we no longer have the wild west, we just have crime and lawsuits. We have 95 year old veterans beaten to death by some critter who "they" say was venting his "outrage" for whatever slights, etc, ad nauseum, he may have imagined some old man perpetrated against him.

We need to stop pitting people against each other, then maybe the craziness will stop. We need to stop excusing real crime, dead victims, because of some imagined slights/whatever that happened in the past. We need to get real and understand why people are so paranoid.

Nobody's excusing real crime, but the crime here, and the paranoia behind it, is not explainable by the problems of modern life. Its a low crime area, and looking at the demographics I can hardly imagine the locals are beseiged by angry black folk venting anger for past slights. Its overwhelmingly a white area.

I think I have a fair idea why this guy was so paranoid, and I hope the courts throw the book at him.

From this post, I can see why the retired fireman chose to open his door and shoot someone. Fwiw Trident, post #6 reads as though you give the guy a pass - this one justifies his actions to a great extent in that he 'thought' something.

Such thinking is not part of the solution imo - as least not yet.

From this post, I can see why the retired fireman chose to open his door and shoot someone. Fwiw Trident, post #6 reads as though you give the guy a pass - this one justifies his actions to a great extent in that he 'thought' something.

Such thinking is not part of the solution imo - as least not yet.

Really? Can you really, in all honesty? I give no one a "pass", black or white. This country, the whole country, has been divided with the skill of a surgeon, and everyone is somewhat paranoid in one way or another. Can you doubt that?

Really? Can you really, in all honesty? I give no one a "pass", black or white. This country, the whole country, has been divided with the skill of a surgeon, and everyone is somewhat paranoid in one way or another. Can you doubt that?

Yes honestly and no I don't doubt 'that'.

If and when you want to call this guy out will be a better time to respond. If not, then my opinions will stand.

Yes honestly and no I don't doubt 'that'.

If and when you want to call this guy out will be a better time to respond. If not, then my opinions will stand.

And so will mine, for better or worse. This attitude is why there can never be a good conversation or any sort of reconciliation. I would be willing, I do see both sides, a teen shot at, and a frightened man doing the shooting. I am able to put myself in the shoes of both and call a truce, a dialogue. Until everyone is ready to see both sides, this will go on and on.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back