Mexico Mexico - Homeless American man in Mexico; does not remember his name

Rodriguez89

Reaction score
Hello,

Few days ago, I came upon a Facebook post (the post itself is from Nov 2017 so its a bit old) on a spanish facebook page (David Nostos) that caught my attention. It basically mentions a homeless American (or perhaps Canadian?) who appears stranded in Mexico, asked a lady for her cell phone so he can call his family but cried when he couldn't remember who to call or the phone number.
According to some of the facebook posts, seems like many locals have tried to get him to go to an American consulate but he refuses. Some have also mentioned his name is "Scott" and hes a welder from Brownsville Texas but not sure of the accuracy because someone else is saying his name is David. So who knows really? In the picture shown of him, he appears to have a black eye like someone punched him.

Point is, his loved ones are probably looking for this poor man and from my own experience of being an observer of this forum, you guys put so much love and effort into these cases that make me think people still care and these people are not forgotten. Hopefully, someone out there recognizes him so he can reunite with his family!

Here is a link from an article thats in english mentioning this particular homeless man:

http://www.missingpersonsofamerica....cognize-this-homeless-american-man-in-mexico/

Here is an image of him:

attachment.php

Attachments

• american man.jpg
    american man.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 520
Thanks, Rodriguez89! I think this man might already have his own thread - check it out:

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...eless-in-Nuevo-Leon&highlight=homeless+mexico

Hi annemc!

Thanks for the thread!

I dont think this is the same man though because there is another article on this particular homeless guy on missingpersonsofamerica.com. Plus they look physically very different from eachother. I wonder if the man on the video has blue eyes? Gosh it breaks my heart to see this video :(

Hi annemc!

Thanks for the thread!

I dont think this is the same man though because there is another article on this particular homeless guy on missingpersonsofamerica.com. Plus they look physically very different from eachother. I wonder if the man on the video has blue eyes? Gosh it breaks my heart to see this video :(

Oops - just missed ya! You're right. Totally different guy. Edited my post above. And I can only imagine not being able to communicate and living on the streets with a brain injury or severe mental illness. Absolutely heartbreaking.

Oops - just missed ya! You're right. Totally different guy. Edited my post above. And I can only imagine not being able to communicate and living on the streets with a brain injury or severe mental illness. Absolutely heartbreaking.

Maybe someone would be able to recognize him on here! I tried to look for any missing persons under the name “scott” or “david” but not having alot of luck. Its very challenging not having enough information.

I feel optimistic if Social Media can run with this. Facebook shares...

It was on a spanish facebook page and many locals (in mexico) recognized him and mentioned spotting him several times in certain areas. But nothing truly concrete unfortunetely. Im thinking that facebook shares among the American population would shed more light on his identity?

Poor guy, this fellow is clearly in a bad place.

But I have to say, just because he says he can't remember his name/phone numbers, doesn't mean he really can't. He may just not want to reach out and reconnect with anyone, that's fairly common for homeless people north of the border: He may have issues with paranoia or depression, besides feeling deeply ashamed and embarrassed to ask family for help . He may find it cheaper/easier to live on the streets in Mexico than in Brownsville, though his black eye is a bad sign. He may not want to reveal his identity/go to the consulate because he knows he'll be deported.

But I have to say, just because he says he can't remember his name/phone numbers, doesn't mean he really can't. He may just not want to reach out and reconnect with anyone, that's fairly common for homeless people north of the border: He may have issues with paranoia or depression, besides feeling deeply ashamed and embarrassed to ask family for help . He may find it cheaper/easier to live on the streets in Mexico than in Brownsville, though his black eye is a bad sign. He may not want to reveal his identity/go to the consulate because he knows he'll be deported.

He could be of diminished intellectual capacity and turned out in to the streets or left behind like a stray dog. Alternately, he could be wanted for some crime and hiding out. I think it’s more likely the first theory.

If someone could get an AncestryDNA kit down to him and back to the US, he could likely be identified.

Interesting! I'm not too familiar with the whole Ancestry DNA kit but I always assumed it was intended for finding out about one's own ethnic background rather than something that can ID a person. That'd be interesting if someone were to do that! But one has to wonder if he would even allow anyone to try?

That's definitely a possibility. Sometimes theres always more to a story than meets the eye. My initial thought was that he could have lost his memory from some sort of attack (the black eye) and clearly has no way of going home but as you said, its also possible that he does not want to be found considering he is refusing from locals taking him to the consulate. I was not aware that it was a common thing in that area either. Do you live nearby?

Either way, it must be terrible for his loved ones!

He could be of diminished intellectual capacity and turned out in to the streets or left behind like a stray dog. Alternately, he could be wanted for some crime and hiding out. I think it’s more likely the first theory.

The criminal theory did come to my mind too.

Maybe its me but this man looks like he has a small hole near his throat area. A tracheotomy perhaps?

The criminal theory did come to my mind too.
For me, the least likely theory.

1) The hole in his throat from a trach. It's a very distinctive sign on a warrant for search. I know that police are not always finding criminals, but hiding as a criminal with such a scar, much easier said than done !! The police would had already found him if he were a criminal with such an unusual scar. I mean, having had a trach is not as usual as, let say, a surgery for appendicitis.

2) The black eyes. Being beaten can leave brain damage to the extent of not remembering your ID.

3) I would not put as much faith as you about his refusal to go to the consulate. Someone with memory impairment can be so afraid of leaving anything familiar to them that they don't want go to the consulate for going back home.
It's irrational for a "normal" person, so we can easily interpret it as "implies being a criminal". But someone with brain injury don't react the same way as typical people with emotions.

4) The memory issue makes more sense with his tracheostomy scar. You get a trach for being unable to breathe, implying a history of staying in ICU. Meaning the lack of oxygen from this medical event can lead to brain injury, therefore, memory issues.

5) Mental illness often go hand in hand with brain injury.

Found these pictures on facebook. Screenshots of some video. Will post video in a bit:

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 23519312_1848762495151953_7679625820493480238_n.jpg
    23519312_1848762495151953_7679625820493480238_n.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 296
  • 23517795_1848762815151921_1038959665789863072_n.jpg
    23517795_1848762815151921_1038959665789863072_n.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 292
  • 23561753_1848763088485227_8121737809985124064_n.jpg
    23561753_1848763088485227_8121737809985124064_n.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 285
Alot of what I read on facebook mentions that this man has told numerous stories of where hes from so its possible he doesn't want to be found or most def has some mental disability. Also it looks like he isn't suffering from a black eye but rather some dirt that accumulated near there.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 23472172_10214586227709778_6446828370662742614_n.jpg
    23472172_10214586227709778_6446828370662742614_n.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 271

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads