CO - Columbine High School, 13 murdered, 24 injured, 20 April 1999

tezi

Proud member of WS since 2000.
Reaction score
DENVER (AP) — A 1982 BMW advertised as once belonging to one of the gunmen in the Columbine High School killings was pulled from an online auction, a spokesman for eBay said.

"If the owner wanted to sell this car, there's nothing stopping them from doing so," eBay spokesman Hani Durzy told the Rocky Mountain News. "They just can't market it as being owned by Dylan Klebold."

~~~SNIP~~~

"The car was bought without knowing who previously owned it," the seller said on the site. "Once I found out it was Klebold's I put it up here."

~~~SNIP~~~

The vehicle identification number for the BMW listed on eBay matches the number on a police report, the newspaper reported.

http://www.courttv.com/news/2006/0308/klebold_ap.html

the original tez said:
DENVER (AP) — A 1982 BMW advertised as once belonging to one of the gunmen in the Columbine High School killings was pulled from an online auction, a spokesman for eBay said.

"If the owner wanted to sell this car, there's nothing stopping them from doing so," eBay spokesman Hani Durzy told the Rocky Mountain News. "They just can't market it as being owned by Dylan Klebold."

~~~SNIP~~~

"The car was bought without knowing who previously owned it," the seller said on the site. "Once I found out it was Klebold's I put it up here."

~~~SNIP~~~

The vehicle identification number for the BMW listed on eBay matches the number on a police report, the newspaper reported.

http://www.courttv.com/news/2006/0308/klebold_ap.html
Wow! This is so creepy! Do you think it's true that the VIN matches?

I don't understand why its a problem to sell a car belonging to a criminal??

Or advertising as such to get more money?

Amraann said:
I don't understand why its a problem to sell a car belonging to a criminal??

Or advertising as such to get more money?
I was kinda wondering the same thing. I guess Ebay is bothered by the creep factor. I doubt that's the only item ever listed on Ebay advertised as belonging to a criminal. Maybe the pain is just too raw right now.

ME to since I saw some of the creepy John Wayne Gacy clown paintings being sold on ebay a while back.

I bet there were people that complained and asked to have it removed.

Jules said:
I bet there were people that complained and asked to have it removed.
I bet they did. It's too recent of a thing, too fresh. Most other items you see which are associated with killers are from much older cases. It's still an open wound for many people. Also things like Gacy and
Manson's junk were not part of a crime scene. This car was. He planted a bomb in it which was supposed to go off at 11:00 a.m, but the dolt set it for p.m. instead. Of course it's a good thing it didn't go off, but you'd think if you were trying to kill hundreds of people, you'd double-check the time:doh:

I wonder if the seller on eBay was selling it because he didn't want Klebold's car or because he wanted to get some big bucks? It really gave me the creeps when I read the article and after some thought, I realized its because it was held as evidence all of those years.

When BTK was caught I remember reading Ebay was getting rid of all the ads for tickets he wrote. They said something about it was their policy not to sell items from killers and pull any item that they found.

I think it was about it being in bad taste and hurting victims friends and family.

I remember when the (then) current owners of "The Shack" listed it for sale on ebay by putting Laci and Scott Peterson's name in the title. I thought it was in just as bad taste as I do selling this car with Klebold's name attached to it. If you want to sell it, then do. Don't associate it with a glorified killer's name.

Becba said:
When BTK was caught I remember reading Ebay was getting rid of all the ads for tickets he wrote. They said something about it was their policy not to sell items from killers and pull any item that they found.

I think it was about it being in bad taste and hurting victims friends and family.
For me, the creep factor amped up because the car was held as evidence and was part of the actual crime scene. but you're probably right as far as eBay is concerned. It's probably that it's in poor taste and painful. And some things do slip by them. That could also be why people have seen some things on there.

beesy said:
I wonder if the seller on eBay was selling it because he didn't want Klebold's car or because he wanted to get some big bucks?

I think the only reason people associate the names is in hopes to make big bucks. Otherwise, why bother? :mad:

Jules said:
I think the only reason people associate the names is in hopes to make big bucks. Otherwise, why bother? :mad:
Definitely big bucks. I think it is absolutely disgusting, not to mention incredibly disrespectful, when people try to capitalize on tragedies.

Masterj said:
I think it is absolutely disgusting, not to mention incredibly disrespectful, when people try to capitalize on tragedies.

Absolutely disgusting.... :mad:

Masterj said:
Definitely big bucks. I think it is absolutely disgusting, not to mention incredibly disrespectful, when people try to capitalize on tragedies.
I found a Columbine message board and posters there say this is the third time this jerk has listed the car. I guess he's hoping to slide by once. They should kick him off.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_5580126?source=rss

The depositions of the parents of Columbine killers Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold will be kept under seal in the National Archives for 20 years, a federal judge ruled Monday.

No one, including violence prevention experts, will be able to see them until they are unsealed, U.S. District Judge Lewis Babcock ruled. They will be kept permanently in the National Archives, where they are considered to be of historical value.
I am mindful that there is a legitimate public interest in these materials so that similar tragedies may hopefully be prevented in the future, Babcock said. I conclude, however, that the balance of interests still strikes in favor of maintaining strict confidentiality.

Am I the only one who finds this maddening?

Am I the only one who finds this maddening?

No. I can understand protecting the privacy of minors, but in the cases of the Columbine killers, it's a little late for that. I have no idea why the parents deserve special privacy protection.

No. I can understand protecting the privacy of minors, but in the cases of the Columbine killers, it's a little late for that. I have no idea why the parents deserve special privacy protection.

Thank you, that's what I was thinking, too...

Sounds like they're trying to protect some peoples' a___, and from further embarrassment.

It's sad that the person who is studying and writing about the crime cannot have access to this information.

For anyone who is interested or has this channel at 9:00 pm central time (10 min) on National Geographic Channel a special about Columbine will be on. "The Final Report: Columbine". I heard on the promo something about Harris and Klebold not actually being outcasts, sounds interesting.

There is so much that can be learnt from what happened at Columbine... All facts should be revealed and the offenders deserve no privacy in death, neither do their parents.Release all info and let the lessons be learnt and heard so that this may never happen again. Although we all know that mass shooting are occuring to frequently.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back