MI MI - Gail Northington, 29, Ottawa Lake, 9 Jan 1987

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
[h=2]

Gail Northington[/h]Monroe County, Michigan
29 year old white female

Height (inches)64.0
Weight (pounds)110.0 to 130.0

Brown Hair
Brown Eyes

Vehicle Comments: Gail's vehicle was found abandoned in a Toledo Parking lot.

Circumstances: Gail and her son had been staying with Gail's parents in Erie after some marital problems. On 1/9/1987 Gail returned to the home to get some of her belongings, and she has not been seen since.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/21746/

This is a seriously odd case. Gail was married (for the third time) to a man named Gary Michael Northington. Mr Northington has been in prison since 1988 and seems to be something of a conspiracy theorist. It would take far to long to outline his ideas and claims, but for those interested they can be found at The Journal of History - Fall 2002 . In essence, he claims he was locked up, having been framed, for what he knows about various crimes in Michigan (involving, inter alia, child abuse and murder), including by Walter Verdun. Walter Verdun being Gail's father and his father in law.

So the question is simple. Is Northington a nutter who has been rightly imprisoned, or is there something more behind his claims. I have no doubt that he is somewhat unhinged, but have no view on whether there is more behind this case (as I have no information to go on). This merits a closer look and I will have a dig for more information.

Following on from my previous post. Gary Northington's conviction (in 1991) came from his arrest in 1987 for conspiracy to murder and soliciting someone to murder. This related to the disappearance of his wife Gail. He got life and is still imprisoned (although 2018 posts - see https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/1b78ee53-7364-4ad6-b8ee-e44aebe25b2d/downloads/1ce4p3a3m_197938.pdf ) suggest he may be due for release, possibly related to ill health. I presume he was convicted of conspiracy and soliciting murder as it was easier to prove these charges in the absence of a body. Oddly, he was also convicted of perjury in 1988, although that seems to stem from the same arrest.

Northington has made allegations about the behaviour of various parties, including his father in law and senior LE figures in Michigan, in respect of framing him. He seems to relate this conspiracy to his activities in alleging the existence of a child abuse ring, based in Nebraska and involving prominent people. This seems to be a reference to what became known as the Franklin affair, as it centred around allegations against Lawrence E King Jr, who ran the Franklin Community Federal Credit Union in Omaha, Nebraska. This burst into the open in 1988 and was the subject of extensive investigation which found it to be a hoax. The only odd thing about this is that Northington seems to have been making these allegations some years before it hit the headlines. I also wonder if his perjury conviction may relate to this (although it may be to do with the murder trial). I ask this as at least two others were indicted for perjury in the Franklin affair.

My feel for this is that Northington is a fantasist and that Gail is his victim. However, the stench around the Franklin affair is enough to Make anyone wonder. Whilst the sexual abuse allegations are (probably) garbage, there is no doubt Lawrence King was a major crook and that he was tied in with some very big political operators. Why did Northington go down this route? He must have known that if he was lying it would make things worse, and if he was telling (what he believed) to be the truth - things would be even worse. Silence would have been his best strategy. This seems the biggest remaining question.

Walter Verdun, Gail's father, died in 2005 (see his obituary at Walter E Verdun (1931-2005) - Find A Grave... ). Gail is listed as predeceasing him and it also shows her large surviving family. I can find no evidence of the accusations against him made by Northington.

So the remaining mystery is what happened to Gail's body, and what is Northington trying to achieve?

Gail Ann Northington – The Charley Project

Gail Ann Northington
  • northington_gail.jpg
  • northington_gail2.jpg
Gail, circa 1987

• Missing Since01/09/1987
  • Missing FromOttawa Lake, Michigan
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • Age29 years old
  • Height and Weight5'4, 110 - 130 pounds
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Gail's ears are pierced.
Details of Disappearance
Gail was last seen in Ottawa Lake, Michigan on January 9, 1987. She and her son had been staying with her parents in Erie, Michigan due to marital difficulties; she had filed for divorce in December.

On the day of her disappearance, Gail returned home to Ottawa Lake to pick up some clothes and food. She has never been heard from again. On January 20, her car was found abandoned at an apartment complex in Oregon, Ohio. This is about twenty miles from Ottawa Lake.

Weeks after Gail's disappearance, her husband, Gary Michael Northington, was charged with trying to arrange her murder the day before she went missing. He was convicted in October and sentenced to life in prison without parole.

Gail has never been found. Foul play is suspected in her case.

northington_gail.jpg

Gail Ann Northington, 29
Missing since 9 January 1987

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members