UK UK - East Sussex, WhtFem, 25-55, washed ashore in a cove, jewellery, Jul'17

Al Ka

Reaction score
Sussex Police is appealing to public to identify a woman who was found washed up from the sea in a cove near to Cuckmere Haven in July 2017.

Case 17-005965

Cuckmere Haven Jane Doe.jpg

Gender - female
Age range - 25 - 55
Ethnicity - white european
Build - medium
Date found - 04 July 2017
Body or remains - body

Location - Cuckmere Haven, East Sussex, England

Circumstances

Female body found washed up from the sea in a cove approximately 2000 yards past Cuckmere Haven. The woman was wearing two necklaces (see images) and had red nail varnish on all of her toenails.

Hair - dark (Dyed red) - dyed - shoulder length
Eye colour - Unknown
Clothing - underwear - bra - white - unknown

Jewellery
chain - 2 - 1 x white metal chain and
1 x dark metal chain with floral/open leaf design pendant

639.jpg

640.jpg

appeal - https://www.facebook.com/UKMissingPersonsUnit/posts/10156306384511499

her case - http://missingpersons.police.uk/en-gb/case/17-005965

There have been quite a few accidents in that area due to collapsing cliffs and also people accidently falling.

In June 2017, just few days before this Jane Doe was found, 23 year Korean student accidentally fell to her death when posing/jumping in the air for selfie near the edge of cliff... In the same weeks quite a few cliffs also collapsed.

Last week, three cliffs collapsed at Seaford in three days, forcing the Coastguard to issue a warning urging people to avoid the area.

The first happened last Wednesday afternoon, taking a huge section of the coastline with it.

The next day a second cliff fell at Seaford Head, and a giant crack tore into the 80ft chalk-face before a third cliff fall took place.

Hours after the second cliff collapse, sightseers were photographed peering over the edge and sitting on top of a cliff face in Birling Gap, roughly six miles from where 50,000 tonnes of chalk gave way and collapsed into the sea.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4646856/Student-dies-falling-cliffs-near-Seven-Sisters.html
(check the beautiful pictures in the link. Also pics of tourists, seriously, mind bogling...)

Seven Sisters cliff dangers spark foreign signage call

Tourism South East say they have seen a 45% increase in tourists from Asia since 2012 with almost 750,000 visitors from China, Japan, South Korea and Taiwan last year.

Maria Caulfield, the Conservative MP for Lewes, said: "People still want to sit on the edge and look over the edge.

"I don't think people realise just how unstable those cliffs are. I think we need better signage."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-40633117

This does not indicate Jane Doe was Asian, but she was very likely visiting the area.

It's also very possible that she went overboard from a ferry. About 5 miles west of Cuckmere Haven, and a couple of miles west of Seaford, is Newhaven which is one of the smaller ports for cross-Channel ferries. This route shuttles back and forth between Newhaven and Dieppe in Normandy. Coming into or leaving Newhaven the ferry passes within a couple of miles of Cuckmere Haven.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...df2564388c929079!8m2!3d50.7586164!4d0.1498604

attachment.php

Her jewelry stands out to me. If it is what I think it is...An original "belle epoque" platinum and diamond pendant, then this woman could've inherited this piece. Just my humble opinion, but I think this could be a gift from an elderly relative.

Attachments

• belle epo.jpg
    belle epo.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 396
attachment.php

Her jewelry stands out to me. If it is what I think it is...An original "belle epoque" platinum and diamond pendant, then this woman could've inherited this piece. Just my humble opinion, but I think this could be a gift from an elderly relative.

I very much doubt it's a genuine Belle Epoque piece of jewellery. For one thing if you look closely at the outer shape it appears to be discoloured and/or flaking, which suggests that it's base metal with a shinier coating. For another she clearly wasn't in the water very long so if those were diamonds they'd sparkle a lot more than they do in the photograph.

Belle Epoque style has been in and out of vogue for decades. When I was a student (late 70s, early 80s) every female student and her dog had at least one Alphonse Mucha poster on her wall.

Thanks for your insight Melmoth. I agree with you. I zoomed to look at it closer and noticed the small chips in the design are green and yellow colored. Perhaps, citrine. It still may be antique, however, since in the early 1910s the design was popular to the public in silver and paste.

Thanks for your insight Melmoth. I agree with you. I zoomed to look at it closer and noticed the small chips in the design are green and yellow colored. Perhaps, citrine.

I think it's possible that the item was cast in an alloy which has a lot of copper and that what you are seeing is that some of the paste stones have fallen out and taken small bits of the plating with them, thus revealing the copper underneath which has oxidised. On the other hand the greenish tinge looks a bit yellow-green for oxidised copper but maybe that depends on what the precise alloy also contained.

It still may be antique, however, since in the early 1910s the design was popular to the public in silver and paste.

I don't think that it could be silver, but it could be silver plated. The usual process in the 20th century for silver plating was EPNS, electroplated nickel silver, where a thin coating of silver was laid down over a cupro-nickel alloy base. According to this article on wikipedia, the process was used for jewellery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_silver

A charity has made a direct plea to missing Guildford woman Michaela Pugh to get in touch.

It's been nearly two weeks since Ms Pugh was last seen by friends and family, on February 12.

Officers from Surrey Police believe Ms Pugh, 37, was driving a black Lexus car. A vehicle matching that description has since been found near Beachy Head in East Sussex.

Pugh-Poster.jpg

Charity reaches out to missing Guildford woman Michaela Pugh

This seems so obvious I imagine this has been checked out, and I may be seeing things but I'm sure there's a red tint to her hair. Approx distance between Beachy Head and Cuckmere Haven:

Google Maps

Last edited:
Michaela is very much like the artists impression but she went missing in Feb 2016 and this body was found in July 2017. Do you think days could mean well over a year? I think you could be on to something LB!

From the inquest linked above -

It was severely decomposed and may have been in the sea or on the beach for days, the Hastings inquest heard.

“The body was severely degraded. It’s impossible for me to state when she entered the water.

Are you going to notify the police LB? I can't see which force is dealing with it from the article.

Ah I've just seen this in the original article

If you recognise the woman contact police on 101 or the Missing Persons Bureau.

UK Missing Persons Unit

Michaela is very much like the artists impression but she went missing in Feb 2016 and this body was found in July 2017. Do you think days could mean well over a year? I think you could be on to something LB!

From the inquest linked above -

It was severely decomposed and may have been in the sea or on the beach for days, the Hastings inquest heard.

“The body was severely degraded. It’s impossible for me to state when she entered the water.
Ooh.. I only skimmed that article and saw "severely decomposed" making me think it may be a possibility.

If it's within a matter of days then I think that would rule out Michaela. The next line is a bit vague, but I'm sure they can tell the difference between a year and a few days.

I guess severely decomposed/degraded means something different to professionals than it does to me in terms of time.

Also I read a newspaper appeal from her sister so I imagine they should have her DNA which would be another reason to rule MP out.

Here's MP's missing page on facebook run by her sister, no updates for nearly a year.

Missing Michaela Pugh Schniererova

Are you going to notify the police LB? I can't see which force is dealing with it from the article.

Ah I've just seen this in the original article

If you recognise the woman contact police on 101 or the Missing Persons Bureau.

UK Missing Persons Unit
In the opening post there's a link to the uid's police page, there's a form on there to make contact. I think I'll do it tomorrow just to be on the safe side.

Surely the authorities would already have checked whether the UID was Michaela? Won't the DNA have been cross referenced with everyone in the missing persons database?

(Forgive me if I've missed a bit and we know this has/hasn't happened)

Surely the authorities would already have checked whether the UID was Michaela? Won't the DNA have been cross referenced with everyone in the missing persons database?

(Forgive me if I've missed a bit and we know this has/hasn't happened)
I'm sure you're probably right. I think they probably have Michaela's DNA, but I don't think we know that.

And sometimes things just don't work as they should.

I'm just going to submit it, and if Michaela has already been ruled out it should take them all of 10 seconds. No harm done.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back