VT VT - Patricia Hesse, 35, Rutland, 10 Nov 1981

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
May 09, 2007
The family had experienced loss before.

More than two decades earlier, in 1981, Hesse’s sister, Patricia Hesse, mysteriously disappeared from her Rutland apartment and was never seen again, with nothing missing from her apartment and her dinner still cooking on the stove.

Pamela Hesse speculated at the time that foul play had been involved in her 35-year-old sister’s disappearance.
Two years after her sister went missing, Pamela Hesse said she had given up her efforts to prove her sister was murdered.
“If I couldn’t prove anything two years ago, I certainly can’t prove it now,” Pamela Hesse said in 1983. “I’ve obviously let someone get away with something, but there’s nothing I can do about it.”
http://www.rutlandherald.com/articles/shooting-victim-recalled-as-super-guy/

Not even the police has pictures of Patricia Hesse. How are people supposed to help?

Patricia Hess

1964 - Rutland HS
attachment.php

1961 - West Rutland HS
attachment.php

Thank you Folieadeuxnola! :loveyou::tyou:

Have I told you lately how awesome you are?

:yourock:

She is not in Namus :(.

Gardener have searched around no luck thus far, would you know of Patricia was ever married ?

What is Namus?

Welcome @StarCleaner79

Namus is a national missing persons database for the US: NamUs

It's an important tool for law enforcement to use to try to match up missing persons with unidentified remains, especially if the person was found outside the area they disappeared from. Patricia has been missing since 1981. If she were entered into the Namus database and her family submits DNA the system will search for any DNA matches of unidentified persons. They also try to get her dental records and fingerprints on records, if they are available anywhere as another way to identify her. Even if she doesn't have any of these identifiers, getting her into NAMUS with her photo would be helpful because it would mean people working on cold cases across the country would see her missing info and be able to compare her or request more info from LE on her case to compare her to their cold cases.

Patricia Lee Hesse – The Charley Project

hesse_patricia.jpg

Hesse at the time of her high school graduation (approximately 18 years old, sixteen years prior to her disappearance; more recent photos are unavailable)
  • Missing Since 11/09/1981
  • Missing From Rutland, Vermont
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Age 34 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'1, 110 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description Possibly a long gray summer trench coat and carrying a black pocketbook with a shoulder strap.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Hesse's hair was long at the time of her disappearance. Her nickname is Patti.
Details of Disappearance
Hesse was last seen shopping at the now-defunct Rutland Mall in Rutland, Vermont on the afternoon of November 9, 1981. She bought a fur coat at a store there and paid $200 for it. This is the last time anyone saw her.

She lived in a rented apartment in a house on Davis Street, and that evening her landlady noticed there was food burning on the stove, and more food, prepared for a meal, sitting next to the stove. The table was set for dinner, but there was no sign of Hesse and she has never been heard from again. Nothing appeared to be missing, and the fur coat she'd just bought was hanging in her closet.

According to Hesse's sister, Hesse only worked for a few months after she graduated from college, and lived with her parents most of the time. She moved out of her parents' home after her mother died three years prior to her disappearance. Hesse's sister said she was distraught over the death of her boyfriend, who had died by suicide in the early 1970s. Her case remains unsolved.

According to Hesse's sister, Hesse only worked for a few months after she graduated from college, and lived with her parents most of the time. She moved out of her parents' home after her mother died three years prior to her disappearance. Hesse's sister said she was distraught over the death of her boyfriend, who had died by suicide in the early 1970s.

It's not spelled out, but I'm thinking there's a lot more to this story than was mentioned. I'm wondering if Patti had some mental issues following the boyfriend's death, as it's not usually customary for someone to just stop working and live with their parents for so many years.

Also, was that fur coat a noteworthy purchase? I just put the figures into an inflation calculator and learned that $200 in 1981 is the equivalent of $567 today. That's quite a chunk of change for someone to just go out randomly and buy. Did she have a good job that would make that purchase doable, or was this some kind of gift/splurge? Unfortunately I can find very little on Google.

Patricia’s entry on Charley Project hints at mental health issues, but the circumstances of her disappearance don’t feel like a possible suicide to me. If anything, the entire scene at her home looks like she was interrupted suddenly while preparing a meal for herself. To leave food burning on the stove means she either left willingly, intent on returning shortly after, or was forced suddenly against her will from the home.

The purchase of the fur coat also seems worth mulling over as well. If she were indeed despondent or suicidal, why make such a purchase? I’d also be interested in how much of a splurge the fur coat was — was this something she had saved up for? Or was it impulsive? Could someone else in her life have given her money for it? I wish there was more information about Patricia’s life at the time to give us some context.

More details here:
Missing: Patricia Hesse
Also this site has links to several clipped newspaper articles including to the article cited in earlier message #2.
Of note: Patricia's sister Pamela died in a motorcycle accident in 2005. Pamela's son was later arrested for the murder of his father, Pamela's ex-husband, in 2007.

More details here:
Missing: Patricia Hesse
Also this site has links to several clipped newspaper articles including to the article cited in earlier message #2.
Of note: Patricia's sister Pamela died in a motorcycle accident in 2005. Pamela's son was later arrested for the murder of his father, Pamela's ex-husband, in 2007.
Also of note, in 1987 partial skeletal remains were found on/very near Pamela and her then husband’s (the ex mentioned above) property later identified as Catherine Maranville. What was the protocol for definitively ID’ing human bones in 1987? Could it have been Patricia?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get
Back