AZ AZ - Yavapai Co, WhtMale, 40-70, Broken Wrist, In Tent in Verde River, Mar'18

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
The Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office (YCSO) is working to identify human remains found in a remote area alongside the Verde River.
The remains were discovered by a U.S. Forest Service employee on March 22 while patrolling west of The White Bluffs — about 4 to 5 miles upstream from Sheep’s Bridge — according to a YCSO news release.

On March 23, a YCSO detective and assistant were flown by helicopter to the scene. The bones were on the river’s shoreline, with a majority of them tucked inside a partially buried, single-person tent, the news release states. The tent was light green, white and black. Next to the bones were a sleeping bag and other camping items, such as pots, a knife and tools. There was also a medium-sized, tri-colored (yellow, red and blue) Old Mill button-up shirt.

Detectives believe the tent containing the person/remains was washed down the Verde River due to flooding and came to rest at the current site.After examining the remains, the medical examiner provided the following information:

The individual appeared to have been an older adult Caucasian male about 5 foot 4 inches tall. He had a broken left wrist bone likely caused by a fall. He also had a lot of dental work, including false crowns on his front teeth and a metal-capped molar.

https://www.dcourier.com/news/2018/apr/25/sheriffs-office-seeking-identify-human-remains/

cache.php

Patterned shirt - collar with button down front "Old Mill" Size M

cache.php

Dark colored polo "Champion Duo Dry" Size M

Label from Khaki pants found near the decedent "10W Apparel" Size 32Wx30L

Hanes brand black sock with grey toe

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/17660

VerdeRiverBody_t715.jpg

The Yavapai County Sherriff's Office is working to identify human remains found in a remote area alongside the Verde River.
The remains were discovered by a U.S. Forest Service employee on March 22 while patrolling west of The White Bluffs — about 4 to 5 miles upstream from Sheep’s Bridge — according to a YCSO news release.
On March 23, a YCSO detective and assistant were flown by helicopter to the scene. The bones were on the river’s shoreline, with a majority of them tucked inside a partially buried, single-person tent, the news release states. The tent was light green, white and black. Next to the bones were a sleeping bag and other camping items, such as pots, a knife and tools. There was also a medium-sized, tri-colored (yellow, red and blue) Old Mill button-up shirt.

https://www.verdenews.com/news/2018/apr/26/sheriffs-office-seeking-identify-human-remains-fou/

Reactions: mrz
He would like likely be somebody reported missing upstream on a hike or camping excursion. It's a popular destination for hiking (Mr. Carbuff and I would love to do an excursion there some day)--not necessarily lots of people but they do come from quite a distance, so he could be from anywhere. Might be a case where checking for European or Aussie missing would be reasonable.

The Champion Duo Dry shirt is likely from Target. The patterned shirt and jeans possibly from Menards (headquartered in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, has approximately 300 stores in 14 states: Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska, Kansas, South Dakota, North Dakota, Wyoming, and Kentucky). It's the only store I could find that might sell both of these brands. They no longer carry the jeans, though.

Charles Bretzman, 62, missing since Oct 2007: https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/458/

He allegedly went camping in the Bradshaw Mountains, Turkey Creek area in Yavapai, AZ.
jeep was located between Minnehaha and Wagoner in Yavapai County in April 2008.

Approx distance from where his jeep was found to Turkey Creek area and then to the location of remains is 89 miles hiking: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Min...1ab80!2m2!1d-112.2162727!2d34.2389194!1m0!3e2

Charles' height is off from the estimate-- he is 5'8"-5'10" and UID was estimated to be 5'4".
Clothing caught my attention (BBM): T-shirt, brown and blue checkered flannel shirt with inside quilting, blue jeans size 31x31.
UID had jeans (no pic) in addition to the Khakis.
Charles' pant size is not the same but it's close to the32 x30 shown on the UID's pants label.

My questions on this possible match:
How likely is it to be able to hike 90 miles in that area of AZ?
Would clothing survive the elements for over 10 years?

(If anyone thinks this could be a match please go ahead and submit, I'm only suggesting here, thanks)

The tent was light green, white and black.

That sounds quite distinctive. Most tents you see in the UK are orange, blue or a dull green, with the odd dull red one. Multi-coloured ones here are unusual except for the very cheap tents designed for taking to music festivals [and then leaving behind for the clean-up crew to dispose of].

It would be useful to know the brand of the tent to understand whether it was a serious backpacker's tent or a cheap one that probably shouldn't have been used in remote country.

That sounds quite distinctive. Most tents you see in the UK are orange, blue or a dull green, with the odd dull red one. Multi-coloured ones here are unusual except for the very cheap tents designed for taking to music festivals [and then leaving behind for the clean-up crew to dispose of].

It would be useful to know the brand of the tent to understand whether it was a serious backpacker's tent or a cheap one that probably shouldn't have been used in remote country.

Yes, that would be useful information. I'd also like to know if either the black or the white were anti-insect netting, or if the whole tent was solid. A tent with mesh sides implies warmer weather camping.

Coleman tents are often that color combination: https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/e0....jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

Coleman is kind of in between as far as activity goes: not often used by serious backpackers, but usable for more remote camping if you don't mind carrying the extra weight.

I'm sure there are other brands that use those colors, though I can't think of any right now.

According to Namus, the unidentified persons hands and or limbs were not recovered. However all the rest of his bones were within the sleeping bag. Just a thought here, but it seems strange to me that he would be missing arms or hands, and nothing else, especially looking at his clothing and not seeing any extreme wear or rips. Judging from the shirt he was wearing, the hands were not taken by animals or normal deterioration of the body. That suggests to me that someone may have removed his hands and or arms in order to prevent easy identification. Possibly he had tattoos, jewelry that couldn't be removed easily, or the possibility of finger prints. But that theory also begs the question, why would someone go through all that effort to remove his hands and or arms, and yet leave very identifiable and unique teeth behind? Not even sure if this is a valid line of thinking, just figured I would see what you guys thought

I think this particular case is very solvable, simply because this person seems to have been a camper, and campers usually let people know where they are going, and are reported missing quickly when they are overdue. I would like to see how many men matching his age and general description are currently missing in the area especially solo campers and men who disappeared last year, or this spring during the heavy rains. You would be shocked how quickly a body can become a skeleton in the desert, so broadening the date parameters to include more recent missing men would be a good idea

56ecc503f1ed5d37008db13a9bd38908_L.jpg

30 May 2019

The Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office is seeking the public’s help in determining the identity of a male found on March 22, 2018, in the area of the Verde River and White Bluff, approximately 4-5 miles upstream from Sheep’s Bridge, Yavapai County, Arizona. This latest effort involves sharing a forensic facial reconstruction that was provided by the Yavapai County Medical Examiner’s office, pictured.

Yavapai County Sheriff's Office Seeks Public Help in Identify Skeleton Remains

Aaaargh -still no picture of the tent?!?

And according to that yellow tag document the entire tent was washed up on shore? Am I reading that correctly? Like he was maybe the victim of a flash flood or something? So many questions!

Aaaargh -still no picture of the tent?!?

And according to that yellow tag document the entire tent was washed up on shore? Am I reading that correctly? Like he was maybe the victim of a flash flood or something? So many questions!

Yeah, it sounded like the tent washed away while he was in it. Which could mean he was swept away by a flash flood, but could also mean he died in the tent and it gradually slid down a bank or something with his remains in it before being washed down the ravine.

bumping...
agree that this case is solvable. have the rule-outs changed on NamUs?? @carbuff mentioned earlier that Edward Cox and Douglas Crum had been excluded on NamUs but now I just see one man, a Shaun Steward... I'm asking because I think Douglas Crum is a good possibility considering most of his appearance and his left hand/wrist trauma, but is obviously not a 'good possibility' if he is a rule out :D

bumping...
agree that this case is solvable. have the rule-outs changed on NamUs?? @carbuff mentioned earlier that Edward Cox and Douglas Crum had been excluded on NamUs but now I just see one man, a Shaun Steward... I'm asking because I think Douglas Crum is a good possibility considering most of his appearance and his left hand/wrist trauma, but is obviously not a 'good possibility' if he is a rule out :D

I have no idea what's going on. I would have copied that directly from the UID's file--though occasionally I have been known to make a mistake in copy and paste. Crum's Namus shows he's been excluded from another, similar case from Maricopa County (which is no longer on Namus, probably solved), so I suspect that's probably what happened.

It looks like Peter Thomas Jr. has also been ruled out.

Might be worth contacting the Yavapai Sheriff's office--I think Charles Owens is the detective in charge--to clarify the ruleouts and submit Mr. Crum if he hasn't been already.

Might be worth contacting the Yavapai Sheriff's office--I think Charles Owens is the detective in charge--to clarify the ruleouts and submit Mr. Crum if he hasn't been already.

Good idea! I contacted the UIDs and MPs NamUs contact, Dustin Driscoll, to see if info is available to easily rule him out without having to make a phone call :D Nothing makes my life easier than when the PD/detective listed on NamUs has an e-mail listed so I can include links and all that...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back