CA - Derran Conway Rogers, 13, Modesto, 27 Feb 1973

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
[h=1]Darren Conway Rogers[/h]
Darren, circa 1973

• Missing Since 02/27/1973
  • Missing From Modesto, California
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Date of Birth 08/30/1959 (58)
  • Age 13 years old
  • Height and Weight 6'0, 150 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A navy blue jacket and jeans.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Dark blond hair. Darren is partially blind in his left eye. Some agencies spell his name "Derran."

[h=3]Details of Disappearance[/h] Darren was last seen in Modesto, California on February 27, 1973. He left his home on Randy Street to walk to Downey High School, and never arrived. He has never been heard from again. Few details are available in his case.

http://charleyproject.org/case/darren-conway-rogers

NAMUS lists his age as 14

Derran left his Modesto home on Randy Street to walk to Downey High School. He never arrived, and his family hasn't heard from him again.

Dental information / charting is currently not available

DNA Status: Sample submitted - Tests complete

Fingerprint information is currently not available

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/4614/

Darren resembles this John Doe found in 1978. What do you think?
View attachment 187848View attachment 187849

John Doe: 1392UMCA

Darren Rogers: 1876DMCA - Derran Conway Rogers

Wow, he sure does look similar. One small issue I see is the height. Derran was reported to already be 6' tall at age 13 and that UID only measured 5'7". I suppose it's possible his height was incorrectly reported, but that it a large discrepancy. Can't hurt to send it in, however. :)

MOO.

Darren resembles this John Doe found in 1978. What do you think?
View attachment 187848View attachment 187849

John Doe: 1392UMCA

Darren Rogers: 1876DMCA - Derran Conway Rogers
Did you ever submit this? Since your comment here Doe Net has updated the Doe’s height to 5’7-5’11. Putting him within an inch of Derrin’s listed height! I checked and they have not been ruled out.

ETA: Well, they both have DNA on file. I’m assuming that’d be an auto exclusion? I honestly don’t know how reliable that assumption would be.

Did you ever submit this? Since your comment here Doe Net has updated the Doe’s height to 5’7-5’11. Putting him within an inch of Derrin’s listed height! I checked and they have not been ruled out.

ETA: Well, they both have DNA on file. I’m assuming that’d be an auto exclusion? I honestly don’t know how reliable that assumption would be.
The main question would be, how did he arrive in this situation after 5 years being missing? Was he abducted and trafficked? Did he run away, and if so, survived for that long? Also, wild theory but hear me out... could have been Kraft for sure, but no major signs of trauma...Both Corll and Gacy were known to frequent California "for work"...both used strangulation as a method... could they have seen the news reports about the freeway killings and dispose of the body to mimic the m.o.? Just throwing out theories and queries :)

Were there any articles about Derran disappearance at that time?
Also is his name spelt Derran or Darren? Would a yearbook confirm which is correct?

Apparently Darren saw a body floating in a canal and spoke to the police about it in 1971, when he was 11.

11 January 1971, The Modesto Bee
View attachment 407714
Good find!
I always thought it was wild how old newspapers gave away people's adresses like that.
Speaking of which, his NamUs says he lived on Randy Street and here it says Roseburg Ave. Did he move or did the street change name?

What do we know about his life?
Did he have any enemy?
Did he have any problem at home?
Did he take any of his belongings?
Was it usual for him to walk at high school?
Did he normally go to school alone?
What were his hobbies?
I know Derran’s (correct spelling) youngest brother, I’ve told him about this site. Hopefully he can answer alot of these questions for you. He never stopped looking.

What a sad tragic case. A 13-year-old just disappearing on the way to school. I wonder what his family's take is. My heart goes out to them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back