Richard

Reaction score
Avis Beatrice Harris Mooney
Missing since September 1, 1961 from Mabank, Henderson County, Texas
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: October 26, 1927
Age at Time of Disappearance: 34 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'3"; 140 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Dark brown hair; dark brown eyes. Fair complexion with freckles; small built frame.
Marks, Scars: At least one abdominal scar from a hysterectomy and appendectomy. She has a dark brown birthmark on one of her hips that is about the size of a quarter.
Dentals: Not Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
Medical: Undiagnosed mental condition (possibly bi-polar disorder).

Circumstances of Disappearance
Mooney was last seen in Mabank, Texas in the Fall of 1961. One day in the Fall of 1961, Avis Mooney's husband told his two children that he had come home from work that day to discover a note from their mother Avis saying that she had left him. Avis and her husband had a bad marriage that involved a lot of arguing and physical fighting.

In the 43 years since Avis' disappearance none of her family has heard a word from her, except for a letter she wrote to her mother when she very first disappeared. Her mother always questioned whether Avis had actually written the letter.

There was a possible sighting of Mooney in Hughes Springs, Texas in the early 1970s, but this has not been confirmed.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact: Henderson County Sheriff's Department 903-675-5128

Agency Case Number: C05-05910

NCIC Number: M-864897648
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
The Doe Network

Link:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1659dftx.html

ABHMooney.jpg
ABHMooney1.jpg
AMooneyAP.jpg

From the doe network link posted upthread.

"In the years since Avis' disappearance none of her family has heard a word from her, except for a letter she wrote to her mother when she very first disappeared."

Would be nice to see the letter and compared it to other handwriting of hers. She would be 89 years old, she probably died when she disappeared.

"In the years since Avis' disappearance none of her family has heard a word from her, except for a letter she wrote to her mother when she very first disappeared."

Would be nice to see the letter and compared it to other handwriting of hers. She would be 89 years old, she probably died when she disappeared.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/mooney_avis.html

From that charleyproject link:

Mooney's family has not heard from her since around the time she disappeared, when her mother got
a letter from her. Her mother is not sure Mooney actually wrote the letter, however;
she thinks the handwriting resembles her son-in-law's more than her daughter's.

I wonder if her children ever wondered.....?

I'm not sure if I'm mixing up things with this case, but I thought I read a Jane Doe once that had no Uterus.

ABHMooney.jpg
ABHMooney1.jpg
AMooneyAP.jpg

Right: Age-Progression by Barbara Martin

Vital Statistics
    • Date Of Birth: October 26, 1927
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 34 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'3"; 140 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Dark brown hair; dark brown eyes. Fair complexion with freckles; small built frame.
    • Marks, Scars: At least one abdominal scar from a hysterectomy and appendectomy. She has a dark brown birthmark on one of her hips that is about the size of a quarter.
    • DNA: Available
    • Dentals: Not available
    • Fingerprints: Not available
    • Medical: Undiagnosed mental condition (possibly bipolar disorder).
Circumstances of Disappearance
Mooney was last seen in Mabank, Texas in the Fall of 1961. One day in the Fall of 1961, Avis Mooney's husband told his two children that he had come home from work that day to discover a note from their mother Avis saying that she had left him. Avis and her husband had a bad marriage that involved a lot of arguing and physical fighting. In the years since Avis' disappearance none of her family has heard a word from her, except for a letter she wrote to her mother when she very first disappeared. Her mother always questioned whether Avis had actually written the letter.
There was a possible sighting of Mooney in Hughes Springs, Texas in the early 1970s, but this has not been confirmed.

LINK:

The Doe Network: Case File 1659DFTX

Current exclusions listed for Avis per NamUs:
UP5211 09/30/1968 Will IL
UP3153 04/19/1981 Will IL
UP5556 05/30/1976 Virginia Beach VA
UP8579 01/25/1981 Hanover VA
UP6796 11/18/1985 Alleghany VA
UP6642 08/07/1986 Chesterfield VA
UP6629 02/03/1991 Frederick VA
UP6661 02/03/1991 Stafford VA (link not accessible)
UP8493 12/06/1993 Fairfax VA

UP12683 06/06/2014 Newport News VA

Has she ever been compared to Annandale Jane Doe? Hair and eye color aren't a match but maybe it was dyed at the time of the missing report or at the time the UID was found and reports from the 60's aren't known for their accuracy. I doesn't appear that they have been excluded but it looks as though they both have DNA so likely an auto rule out.

245UFVA

• avis_beatrice_harris_mooney_1.jpg
  • avis_beatrice_harris_mooney_2.jpg
  • avis_beatrice_harris_mooney_3.jpg
Mooney, circa 1961; Age-progression to an unknown age

• Missing Since 09/01/1961
  • Missing From Mabank, Texas
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 10/26/1927 (92)
  • Age 33 - 34 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'3, 140 pounds
  • Medical Conditions Mooney may have been suffering from an undiagnosed mental condition, possibly bipolar disorder, at the time of her disappearance.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Dark brown hair, dark brown eyes. Mooney has a fair, freckled complexion. She may have hysterectomy and/or appendectomy scars on her abdomen, and she has a dark brown, quarter-sized birthmark on her hip. Some agencies refer to Mooney as Avis Beatrice Mooney.
Details of Disappearance
Mooney was last seen in Mabank, Texas sometime during the autumn months of 1961. Her husband told their two children that he had come home and found a note from her, saying she was leaving him.

They had been having many marital problems and fought frequently, sometimes physically, and Mooney had left her husband before, so her family did not question her husband's story at first.

Mooney's family has not heard from her since around the time she disappeared, when her mother got a letter from her. Her mother is not sure Mooney actually wrote the letter, however; she thinks the handwriting resembles her son-in-law's more than her daughter's.

There was a possible sighting of Mooney in Hughes Springs, Texas in the early 1970s, but this has not been confirmed. Her case remains unsolved. Foul play is possible in her disappearance.

Source:

Avis Beatrice Harris Mooney – The Charley Project

Has she ever been compared to Annandale Jane Doe? Hair and eye color aren't a match but maybe it was dyed at the time of the missing report or at the time the UID was found and reports from the 60's aren't known for their accuracy. I doesn't appear that they have been excluded but it looks as though they both have DNA so likely an auto rule out.

245UFVA
This doesn’t seem to be an impossible match actually. (I still don’t understand or put complete faith in the methods of the auto rule out madness o_O) I hadn’t read too much about Annandale JD until you posted this so I spent a few days refreshing my memory. One thing that really stood out to me was how both women left behind notes. Goodbye letters or instructions... just isn’t something we see in most cases. JMO. Good find!

Avís is surely deceased but I hope that one day the truth will be known

Avis Harris 1940 Census (1508 × 475 px).png
1940 Census. Avis was 12 years old. Daughter of C.O. and Gladys Harris. She was one of six children. Lived in Upshur County, Texas.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back