CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

SecretAgentMan

Reaction score
Police in California say they believe they have found the notorious Golden State Killer—the man investigators say is responsible for 12 homicides, 45 rapes, and 120 home burglaries.

Joseph James DeAngelo, 72, was arrested overnight on two murder charges and is thought to be linked to the case, said Billy Jensen, one of the writers responsible for researching and publishing I’ll Be Gone in the Dark. The case received renewed media attention this year after the book, written by late Michelle McNamara, was finally published after years of McNamara’s obsessive research on the killer, thanks to her husband Patton Oswalt, Jensen, and researcher Paul Haynes.

Jail records show that DeAngelo, who was arrested by the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department, is ineligible for bail. The warrant was issued by Ventura County.

Jensen told The Daily Beast that DeAngelo is not the “confirmed” man responsible, but that “it looks good.” Police will hold a press conference at noon Wednesday in Sacramento to announce the breakthrough in the case.

The FBI has said the Golden State Killer, or the East Area Rapist, is suspected of carrying out crimes spanning a decade starting in the late 1970s in Sacramento County and ending in 1981. Jail records show that, like the killer’s FBI profile, DeAngelo is 5’11” and between the ages of 60 and 75 years old.

Sources confirmed to a local Fox affiliate early Wednesday morning that there had been a “significant break” in the case, with some saying an arrest had been made.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/josep...rding-to-co-author-of-ill-be-gone-in-the-dark

Discussion #1
Discussion #2

[h=3]East Area Rapist arrested in decades-old case, source says[/h]
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article209779364.html

Authorities are expected to announce the arrest Wednesday of a suspect in the decades-old East Area Rapist case, The Bee has learned.

The suspect has been living in the Sacramento area and was identified after a renewed push of the investigation by the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department and District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert, a source said.

Arrest made in East Area Rapist case, sources say. Sun City survivor 'overwhelmed with joy'
By Alex Kincaid
April 25, 2018 09:15 AM

Snipped:

Jane Carson-Sandler, a Sun City resident, was the fifth victim of the East Area Rapist on Oct. 5, 1976.

Carson-Sandler said she received emails Wednesday from two detectives she has kept in touch with over the years informing her of the arrest.

http://www.heraldonline.com/news/state/south-carolina/article209776449.html

attachment.php

Joseph James DeAngelo Jr was arrested in California Tuesday night on two murder charges. The now-72-year-old is suspected of being the Golden State Killer

Attachments

• 4B8B9B3300000578-0-image-m-37_1524665319792.jpg
    4B8B9B3300000578-0-image-m-37_1524665319792.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 65
Relative's DNA from genealogy websites cracked East Area Rapist case, DA's office says

[...]

The effort was part of a painstaking process that began by using DNA from one of the crime scenes from years ago and comparing it to genetic profiles available online through various websites that cater to individuals wanting to know more about their family backgrounds by accepting DNA samples from them, said Chief Deputy District Attorney Steve Grippi.

[...]

http://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article209913514.html

I wrote a paper over Ancestry DNA cases for my biotech class and my memory is really bad but I think ancestry.com used to be another company and had absorbed the dna database that the LDS had been using to trace ancestry. Ancestry.com is not owned by the LDS afaik.

Just reiterating, Ancestry.com was not the company LE worked with. They have denied it.

It was GED Match, an open source genealogy-DNA match web site

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/04...ing-law-enforcement-in-east-area-rapist-case/

So no Australia connection then? Does anyone know why he was dismissed from the police force? He has two children? Thanks guys.

He got caught shop lifting. Waaaaaait for it dog reppelant,and a hammer. While assigned to robbery detail as a LEO in 1979. No eyebrows were raised. No further investigation. Even though there was so much of his activity going on right under their noses.

Attachments

• Deangelo_Article_ExeterSun_22Aug1973-1.jpg
    Deangelo_Article_ExeterSun_22Aug1973-1.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 138
There is the real problem. The evidence might not even be admissible. The court case will be very interesting.

I would like to believe the legalities of what LE did by using GEDmatch to try to find a match were thoroughly vetted from a legal standpoint.

If the way LE used GEDmatch to identify a relative of the killer/rapist turns out to be inadmissible in court, does that mean that the DNA samples LE obtained of DeAngelo himself (that were a match to crime scene DNA) would also be thrown out as inadmissible?

My understanding is LE was watching DeAngelo after he was identified as a potential suspect through GEDmatch, and they were able to obtain two DNA samples from items DeAngelo discarded. LE performed a DNA analysis of DeAngelo's actual DNA and it matched crime scene (s) DNA.

The Exeter Sun’s story about DeAngelo, with photo from 1973.
View attachment 133543

Heh. The guy on the right looks like the Zodiac composite from the Paul Stine murder. One could really let one's imagination run wild. EARONS and the Zodiac photos side by side in the Exeter Sun. :happydance:

But the photo of Deagnelo looks like a dead ringer for the composite of the Visalia Ransacker. The resemblance is uncanny. They really nailed it way back then. I can't believe nobody recognized him as a local cop. So many people saw the VR's face up close. Said he looked pasty and schoolboyish.

I'm more concerned about a warrant. I haven't heard a peep about them having one. I can't imagine they didn't but with what grounds did they use?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

From what I understand California has a couple of newer laws that allow broader searches for family and DNA sample collection. A victims brother lobbied for it! And one law had been tested up to the Cal Supreme Court. Other states are more restrictive. They know the parameters well, as these laws helped broaden their investigation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't need a warrant to use a public database with discarded DNA. They would have needed a warrant if 1) They had used a private site like Ancestry.com or other, 2) If they wanted a direct cheek swab from JJD.

They didn't use discarded DNA to upload . They used the DNA from one of the CS to upload to GED match. They then had to do the geneology work to come up with a number of suspects who they ruled out by various means. Then they got to JJD and obtained his discarded DNA which matched the CS DNA. Bingo. Personally, I think we will see this happening a lot more.

It's not just shoplifting a hammer and dog repellent. It's that it happened in the same area where 50 rapes and home invasions had occured. It's that he had to be restrained and tied to a chair. It's that he wad a cop with access to the same kind of revolvers used in the crimes. That in combination with not visibly checking and identifying every attendee at the town hall makes for terrible, shoddy police/detective work. The guy was sitting there at the town hall while at least 3 or 4 sketches that looked pretty darn close to his resemblance were displayed up on stage. Did they not even consider that the perp might attend? And no one in the police force recognized him as being the cop fired for shoplifting those items? They didn't go through and and do recognizance on all the 5' 10", 165 lbs, blue eyed, 30 year old men who showed up at the meeting?

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but in the article linked upthread from the San Francisco Chronicle, there is a slideshow of images the FBI released about the case. Slide 9 shows a fence that blocks access to the American River, and says the GSK often used the river to escape the area after committing crimes. This may be old news, but I had read several people speculating that perhaps he escaped via the river and this is the first time I had read confirmation of that.

I don’t know if this is already been posted but here is a link to the newspaper clip of his conviction. He had a jury trial and was sentenced to 6 months probation and $100 fine.

Golden State Killer / EAR/ONS Suspect Found Guilty of Shoplifting

Unbelievable. The EAR committed his 47th attack on June 25 1979 in Walnut Creek. He was arrested for shoplifting on July 2 in Sacramento County. Then committed attack # 48 on July 5 in Danville. It's like the arrest didn't happen. He just kept going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth