NJ NJ - Maria Reyes, 48, Pompton Lakes, March 1976

Richard

Reaction score
30 years ago...

Maria Reyes
Missing since March, 1976 from Pompton Lakes, Passaic County, New Jersey.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
Age at Time of Disappearance: 48 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 80 - 90 lbs.
Marks, Scars: She had recently undergone a mastectomy.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Reyes was reported missing by a close friend on March 22, 1976. A housekeeper said she missed her doctor's appointment on the date she was reported missing. Her husband who is now deceased, told police she packed her things and left home but investigators thought she would be too weak after her recent surgery, weighing only 80-90 pounds, to do so.

The case is unsolved and her body has never been found. Reyes has ties to Chile and relatives there but authorities in Santiago, Chile said she had not re-entered the country during the time period she was missing.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact: Pompton Lakes Police Department
973-835-0069

Source Information
The Doe Network: Case File 513DFNJ

Link:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/513dfnj.html

While looking into the possibility of a serial killer working Rt 80 from NJ into PA, I found the following report....

1990-partial skeleton of 20-30 year old white female found in Wayne NJ, believed deceased in 1985

As I recall, authorities had difficulty dating the remains, but believed them to have been at least five years old. Wayne is about 8 miles from Pompton Lakes.

There is an UID in Texas that was found 22 yrs after Ms Reyes went missing. The reconstruction looks possible as a match to her. What do you wonderfully talented comparison sleuths think? I'm not very good at this.
[FONT=arial,verdana,geneva,lucida][SIZE=-1]www.doenetwork.org/cases/227uftx.html[/SIZE][/FONT]

There is an UID in Texas that was found 22 yrs after Ms Reyes went missing. The reconstruction looks possible as a match to her. What do you wonderfully talented comparison sleuths think? I'm not very good at this.
[FONT=arial,verdana,geneva,lucida][SIZE=-1]www.doenetwork.org/cases/227uftx.html[/SIZE][/FONT]

The reconstructions of the Jane Doe do look a lot like the photos of Ms Reyes. However, Ms. Reyes would have been 70 years old at the time of the death of the woman in Texas.

Next Month marks the 40 year anniversary of Maria's disappearance.

Maria has been missing for 38 years today.
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/13012
Status Missing
First name Maria
Middle name Aravena
Last name Reyes
Nickname/Alias
Date last seen March 19, 1976 00:00
Date entered 11/21/2011
Age last seen 49 to years old
Age now 87 years old
Race White
Ethnicity Hispanic/Latino
Sex Female
Height (inches) 58.0
Weight (pounds) 85.0

Attachments

• 23746.jpeg
    23746.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 21
[h=1]Missing-person case from 1976 haunts retiring Pompton Lakes detective[/h]
POMPTON LAKES – When Lt. William Jernstedt made it into the borough's detective bureau, he came across a big, brown folder on the missing person case of Maria Reyes. Reyes disappeared in 1976 in an unsolved case shrouded in theories and rumors. The mystery ensnared Jernstedt and he decided to take it upon himself to try to find Reyes' body.

"I would go out on my own," said Jernstedt, who just retired from the Pompton Lakes Police Department after a 27-year career. "I walked around her house so many times. That was the one case that I needed to solve. I wanted to bring this woman home just for her family down in Chile."

Jernstedt said Reyes had just had a mastectomy and was released from Chilton Hospital days before she went missing. She weighed 90 pounds and could barely walk. Despite her frailty, her husband, the main suspect in the case, said he last saw her walking away with a friend carrying two suitcases containing all her clothes.

"There's no way she would've been able to carry anything," Jernstedt said. "I even talked to her best friend who reported her missing. Dolly Lopez said this woman could hardly even walk, nevermind even carry anything."
Read more: http://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...s-retiring-pompton-lakes-detective/534941001/

Maria Aravena Reyes, age 48, Missing since March 1976

LINKS:

I doubt that Maria returned to Chile after her disappearance, taking into account the political context that was happening in the country in those years.

Aug 4, 2017

Identifiers​

Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Unknown
DNA: Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance​

Reyes was reported missing by a close friend on March 22, 1976. A housekeeper said she missed her doctor's appointment on the date she was reported missing. Her husband who is now deceased, told police she packed her things and left home but investigators thought she would be too weak after her recent surgery, weighing only 80-90 pounds, to do so.

Reyes disappeared over the weekend of March 20, 1976, a few days before she was scheduled to appear in Superior Court in Paterson in a divorce proceeding. The couple was childless.

Reyes had left her husband of 13 years and returned to Chile, the couple's homeland, in December 1974. But she moved back to her Ringwood Avenue home in early 1976.

I doubt that Maria returned to Chile after her disappearance, taking into account the political context that was happening in the country in those years.
I am Chilean and I had never heard of this case... in this country if they can leave the work to someone else they do it... very little effort is made to find someone else other than making some simple posters and leaving them on the page of the police....
And if you are right, in Chile there had recently been a coup d'état and if you were not wealthy they would kill you just like that... I can deduce that she was wealthy enough to live outside the country at that time unless she was exiled or requested political asylum. ... also the coup d'état was financed and ordered by the United States... there was a good president here just like John Kennedy was and he was also assassinated... anyway I think she never returned to Chile and was murdered by her husband through a hitman...this case is another that will never have an answer...
either way
rest in peace

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine