CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

SecretAgentMan

Reaction score
Police in California say they believe they have found the notorious Golden State Killer—the man investigators say is responsible for 12 homicides, 45 rapes, and 120 home burglaries.

Joseph James DeAngelo, 72, was arrested overnight on two murder charges and is thought to be linked to the case, said Billy Jensen, one of the writers responsible for researching and publishing I’ll Be Gone in the Dark. The case received renewed media attention this year after the book, written by late Michelle McNamara, was finally published after years of McNamara’s obsessive research on the killer, thanks to her husband Patton Oswalt, Jensen, and researcher Paul Haynes.

Jail records show that DeAngelo, who was arrested by the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department, is ineligible for bail. The warrant was issued by Ventura County.

Jensen told The Daily Beast that DeAngelo is not the “confirmed” man responsible, but that “it looks good.” Police will hold a press conference at noon Wednesday in Sacramento to announce the breakthrough in the case.

The FBI has said the Golden State Killer, or the East Area Rapist, is suspected of carrying out crimes spanning a decade starting in the late 1970s in Sacramento County and ending in 1981. Jail records show that, like the killer’s FBI profile, DeAngelo is 5’11” and between the ages of 60 and 75 years old.

Sources confirmed to a local Fox affiliate early Wednesday morning that there had been a “significant break” in the case, with some saying an arrest had been made.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/josep...rding-to-co-author-of-ill-be-gone-in-the-dark

Thread #1
Thread #2

Thread #3

[h=3]East Area Rapist arrested in decades-old case, source says[/h]
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article209779364.html

Authorities are expected to announce the arrest Wednesday of a suspect in the decades-old East Area Rapist case, The Bee has learned.

The suspect has been living in the Sacramento area and was identified after a renewed push of the investigation by the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department and District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert, a source said.

Arrest made in East Area Rapist case, sources say. Sun City survivor 'overwhelmed with joy'
By Alex Kincaid
April 25, 2018 09:15 AM

Snipped:

Jane Carson-Sandler, a Sun City resident, was the fifth victim of the East Area Rapist on Oct. 5, 1976.

Carson-Sandler said she received emails Wednesday from two detectives she has kept in touch with over the years informing her of the arrest.

http://www.heraldonline.com/news/state/south-carolina/article209776449.html

Please continue discussion here.

:wave:

We do not know where JJD was between the last attack in 1981 and 1986, then 1986 to 1991. There are no work records or property of him from that time as far as I know. The earliest address of his that I could find was from 1992 and his wife was pregnant in 1986.

Again, not saying it's definetely the same guy.

JJD was interested in hurting and terrifying women. Even in the very early EAR attacks he would hurt the women, frequently ''accidentally'' cutting them with knives etc...

BAE / Mr Cruel (in his own sick mind) felt he was not hurting or terrifying, children. BAE / Mr Cruel was described as being extremely gentle and joking around with the girls, who in his warped, deluded mind he thought of as being like his girlfriends for the duration of the attacks..

Good point.

We do not know where JJD was between the last attack in 1981 and 1986, then 1986 to 1991. There are no work records or property of him from that time as far as I know. The earliest address of his that I could find was from 1992 and his wife was pregnant in 1986.

Again, not saying it's definetely the same guy.

Good point.

It is strange as if he is very similar to Mr. Cruel.

I am having a hard time believing he "just" stopped in 1981, and again in 1986. The guy lived for crime, thrills, fear and destruction. Unless he was incarcerated, physically incapable or in some mental hospital during those years, I do not think he just sat at home twiddling his thumbs and playing with his children. Pregnancy of his wife did not stop him from murdering people.

Hi SharD, I can see that you have identified many similarities between the two cases, but they are 100% not linked. The similarities are things that clever criminals do to disguise their identity / avoid getting caught. They are quite common.

JJD's three daughters were born in 1981, 1986 and 1989.

It is highly likely that he was assisting his wife raising their three children for most of the 1980's.

Also, having just been fired for shoplifting in 1979 probably made it rather difficult for him to find reputable, stable employment in the 1980's... I'm sure he did manual labor / odd jobs here and there, and records of this will no doubt be found at some point.

One thing we know for certain is that he was not living in Melbourne for a decade, whereas Mr Cruel most definitely was.

Mr Cruel's is (almost certainly) BAE, not JJD. :)

My own opinion.

You may be right.

Will be interesting to see if he truly turned fulltime dad in 1981. I honestly hope the guy begins talking.

Mr. Cruel isn't an unique perp by the way. In Germany (I am from the Netherlands) we had the "Maskenmann", otherwise known as Martin Ney.

... there are way too many sick psychos. :|

I am having a hard time believing he "just" stopped in 1981, and again in 1986. The guy lived for crime, thrills, fear and destruction. Unless he was incarcerated, physically incapable or in some mental hospital during those years, I do not think he just sat at home twiddling his thumbs and playing with his children. Pregnancy of his wife did not stop him from murdering people.

JJD was already 36 years old by 1981 and he was 41 by 1986. Not so easy to flee from the police when you are 41!

Gary Ridgway killed at least 40 women just in 1982 and 1983. It may have actually been more like 70 women in just those two years. He was a far, far more prolific killer than JJD. Once he married the love of his life he slowed right down, 'only' killing 3 women from 1987 until his arrest in 2001. He was still very happily married at the time of his arrest.

BTK killed 10 people before 1991 - then he just stopped. He was arrested in 2005, which totally shocked his wife and family, who had only known him as a kind, loving husband or father.

People - even serial killers - get old. They start families. It just gets too hard to keep doing what they once did. :)

My own opinions.

Hm, yeah, true. Though JJD does not strike me as someone who has a lot of kindness and love in him. He has been described as emotionless a couple of times.

Is this legit?!
https://www.buzzfeed.com/skbaer/the...d-two-men-rape?utm_term=.ld7xz9m0b#.veNXBOGA2
The Suspected Golden State Killer Witnessed Two Men Rape His Sister. It May Have Fueled His Rampage.

"Maybe that was the start of Joe going wacko," said a nephew of Joseph DeAngelo, the man suspected of being the prolific killer.
Posted on May 11, 2018, at 7:31 p.m.
Decades before he killed at least 12 people and sexually assaulted 51 others in a prolific crime spree that terrorized the state of California, the suspected Golden State Killer watched two men rape his younger sister on an Air Force base in Germany, family members said.

Joseph James DeAngelo, 72, who was identified last month as the serial rapist and killer who terrorized California in the 1970s and 1980s, was playing with his sister Constance in an abandoned warehouse on the base when two airmen walked in and raped her in front of him, Jesse Ryland, one of Constance's sons, told BuzzFeed News this week.

DeAngelo was about 9 or 10 at the time. His sister was 7 years old.
DeAngelo and his three siblings grew up in an abusive household where his father physically beat his mother, Kathleen, said Ryland. She also abused at least one of the children.

"She would hit my mom all the time," Ryland said, adding that his mother would at times wear two pairs of pants to lessen the blow. "I'm pretty positive they were all abused like that."

Joseph DeAngelo Sr. served in the US Air Force and the family moved frequently because of his job. Ryland said that after one violent incident on a base in Germany, military police warned Joe Sr. he would be kicked out if he touched his wife again.

I haven't heard anything about an assault on his sister, but it might be true. His parents did divorce. I'm not sure if the divorce record I found is that of his parents, but it might be, This particular divorce occurred in Lake County, Florida in 1964. In early 1965, DD's mother remarried in Tulare, CA.

There was apparently some kind of marital problem between his parents, and it's interesting this article mentions physical abuse. I've read that many serial killers had horrific childhoods.

“Joseph DeAngelo Sr. ended up in South Korea, where he retired and had another set of kids, who were given the same names as his first three children: Rebecca, Joseph Jr., and Constance, according to Jesse Ryland and Kenneth Ryland Sr.”

No wonder LE had a hard time putting together the family tree. Sounds like his father was a bit off to say the least. I had a feeling JJD didn’t have a normal childhood.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/skbaer/the-suspected-golden-state-killer-witnessed-two-men-rape

who is BAE? can you PM me?

Some senior members of the police are convinced that Mr Cruel is Dr BAE, a retired Melbourne University lecturer, who has granted interviews and freely admits he is the prime suspect in the case:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...s/news-story/4aa009a7026f137965adf7ac43b0cedc

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...s/news-story/3fda868094c4204d87dc3dcfba744534

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...5967d291ae?sv=835b8cdd28d45011f90ec1dcc6be04c

Is this legit?!

Thanks for posting dotr!

If confirmed, it will be a horrific, but grimly familiar story. Serial killers are not simply 'born that way', but in the overwhelming majority of cases come from dysfunctional families. Time and time again we learn that serial killers witnessed or were subjected to sexual abuse and/or sexual violence at an early age.

It would be great if stories like the one you have posted served to remind posters that all of JJD's family were victims too.

Some posters have (on here and on other sites) repeatedly accused his wife and/or his brother of being 'an accomplice' without a single shred of evidence.

Sadly I suspect, some of these same posters will soon be stating that JJD's 'female accomplice' (who didn't exist) was actually his sister, rather than his wife, and using this story as the basis for their wild accusations... :(

MOO.

In reply to this comment from the end of Thread #3

"I wish I had a link but it's just my recollection, but in one of the podcast or somewhere that I cannot recall, it was stated that driver's license were searchable by anyone a long time ago during this time."

Actually, California drivers licenses have always had limited access, in deference to the entertainment industry centered here. They totally went confidential in 1989. But before that time in order to get an address a person had to fill out a form, show ID and state their reason and those were kept for some time.

If JJD was getting addresses after leaving the force, it was probably through a "buddy" that thought he'd gotten a raw deal and believed his reason for wanting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong