NY NY - Bessie Linder, 70, West Brentwood, Feb or Mar 1968

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score

Taken 1943/1944

Bessie Linder
Suffolk County, New York
70 year old white female

Height (inches)62.0
Weight (pounds)165.0 to 170.0

Gray or Partially Gray Hair
Blue Eyes

Circumstances: Subject walked away from a hospital in Suffolk County, NY sometime between February or March 1968.

Dental information / charting is currently not available

DNA Status: Sample is currently not available

Fingerprint information is currently not available

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/12033/

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Original

Missing Person / NamUs #MP12033
Bessie Linder, Female, White / Caucasian

Date of Last Contact. February 1, 1968
Missing From West Brentwood, New York
Missing Age. 58 Years
Current Age109 Years
Sex. Female
Height. 5' 2" (62 Inches)
Weight. 165 - 170 lbs
Race / Ethnicity. White / Caucasian
Hair Color Gray or Partially Gray
Eye Color Blue

Circumstances of Disappearance
Subject walked away from a hospital in Suffolk County, NY sometime between February or March 1968.

West Brentwood, New York
Suffolk County

1 image; 1 exclusion.

This is terribly sad. I suppose she had an illness and that's why she was at the hospital, she needed protection and help, and we don't even know what hospital she left or the exact date of her disappearance. I mean, someone was in charge of Bessie's safety, but I imagine that the hospital didn't even communicate the disappearance to her family immediatly or contact to LE.
In Spain, two kids disappeared from a hospital and when their mother asked a member of the staff about the vanishing, the response she got was "this is not a jail"; of course a hospital it's not a jail and someone can vanish, but if you really care about people around you, you do something apart from saying empty excuses.

I found this saying she was missing October 1979 and there are a couple of other sites that say the same.

Missing
Last seen alive: October 31, 1979

Circumstances: SUBJECT WAS LAST SEEN AT THE FIRST NATIONAL BANK LOCATED AT 123 EAST 86TH STREET NEW YORK, NEW YORK.
First Name: Bessie
Last Name: Linder
Details
Age When Last Known Alive: 70
Race: White
Sex: Female
Height: 62.0
Weight: 165.0 to
State: New York
County: New York
Appearance
Hair: Gray or Partially Gray
Eye: Blue
Clothing and Accessories
Transportation

Bessie Linder - New York Missing Person Directory

I found this saying she was missing October 1979 and there are a couple of other sites that say the same.

Missing
Last seen alive: October 31, 1979

Circumstances: SUBJECT WAS LAST SEEN AT THE FIRST NATIONAL BANK LOCATED AT 123 EAST 86TH STREET NEW YORK, NEW YORK.
First Name: Bessie
Last Name: Linder
Details
Age When Last Known Alive: 70
Race: White
Sex: Female
Height: 62.0
Weight: 165.0 to
State: New York
County: New York
Appearance
Hair: Gray or Partially Gray
Eye: Blue
Clothing and Accessories
Transportation

Bessie Linder - New York Missing Person Directory
Can you point me to the other sources that say she went missing in Oct 79? I'm researching her in an attempt to cross reference a Doe case but I'm having a hard time verifying when she actually went missing. I'd be very appreciative of any info.

Deleting...name mixed up!

Last edited:
Records for Bessie Linder of New York State born around 1910:

Name Bessie Linder
Naturalization Date 1924
Naturalization Place New York, United States
Birth Date 5 Feb 1911
Birthplace New York City, NY
Certificate Number 51018 (On Father's Petition)

Name Bessie Linder
State New York
Last Place of Residence Queens, New York
Previous Residence Postal Code 11415
Age 89
Birth Date 25 Feb 1911
Death Date 29 Jun 2000

This is the only Bessie Linder I can find who is about the same age as the Bessie Linder who left the hospital in 1968. I don't know if she ever married. However, she was single in the 1940 Census. Her father died in 1947.

Last edited:
Can you point me to the other sources that say she went missing in Oct 79? I'm researching her in an attempt to cross reference a Doe case but I'm having a hard time verifying when she actually went missing. I'd be very appreciative of any info.

Bessie's case number is 79-413384
Suffolk County Police Department
(631) 852-6110

79 would correspond with 1979.
Did she go missing twice?
Who knows? Is there a typo in the case number?

I would probably contact Suffolk County. There just isn't much info on Bessie at all. Charley Project lists her as Bessie "Lindner".

I found birth and death info for a Bessie Linder who was born in NYC in 1911 and died in 2000,
Other than that who knows? The MP could be another Bessie Linder who just wasn't born and raised in New York State? Linder could have been her married name?

Did something weird happen at the bank that alerted authorities?

Last edited:
Records for Bessie Linder of New York State born around 1910:

Name Bessie Linder
Naturalization Date 1924
Naturalization Place New York, United States
Birth Date 5 Feb 1911
Birthplace New York City, NY
Certificate Number 51018 (On Father's Petition)

Name Bessie Linder
State New York
Last Place of Residence Queens, New York
Previous Residence Postal Code 11415
Age 89
Birth Date 25 Feb 1911
Death Date 29 Jun 2000

This is the only Bessie Linder I can find who is about the same age as the Bessie Linder who left the hospital in 1968. I don't know if she ever married. However, she was single in the 1940 Census. Her father died in 1947.

I looked up the zip code last place of residence zip 11415 that is Kew Gardens Queens

Attachments

• A8490183-23F1-459E-9DA0-8C959B0CC199.jpeg
    A8490183-23F1-459E-9DA0-8C959B0CC199.jpeg
    69.8 KB · Views: 2
Bessie's case number is 79-413384
Suffolk County Police Department
(631) 852-6110

79 would correspond with 1979.
Did she go missing twice?
Who knows? Is there a typo in the case number?

I would probably contact Suffolk County. There just isn't much info on Bessie at all. Charley Project lists her as Bessie "Lindner".

I found birth and death info for a Bessie Linder who was born in NYC in 1911 and died in 2000,
Other than that who knows? The MP could be another Bessie Linder who just wasn't born and raised in New York State? Linder could have been her married name?

Did something weird happen at the bank that alerted authorities?

All of it seems very vague, from the dates missing to her Linder Lindner name. We also don’t know what hospital she went missing from.

The Bessie that you found born in 1911 and died in 2000, does it mention where she died?

All of it seems very vague, from the dates missing to her Linder Lindner name. We also don’t know what hospital she went missing from.

The Bessie that you found born in 1911 and died in 2000, does it mention where she died?
Queens
Public records show her residing in a retirement center in Kew Gardens in 1997 and dying in Queens in 2000

I agree, it's all vague.

She would hqve died at 102 if that was the same Bessie. Highly unlikely. It is just the same name

She would hqve died at 102 if that was the same Bessie. Highly unlikely. It is just the same name
Yes, this particular Bessie Linder died at that age. It's based on the Social Security Death Index, which publishes both the birthdate and death date.

These reports NAMUS really don't provide much information and don't provide any evidence that someone is actively looking for her. So it could have been that a report was taken and it was never closed.

Then there is a NAMUS case where a girl ran away in 2016. She returned in 2019. NAMUS still has her missing. There had been an amber alert in that case.

Mariah Garcia, Female, Hispanic / Latino
Date of Last ContactJune 16, 2016
Missing FromSan Antonio, Texas
Missing Age14 Years
Current Age20 Yearsf

SAN ANTONIO (KABB) - A girl who has been missing for three years is back home with her family.

Mariah Garcia was only 14-years-old when she disappeared from her home. At the time, the San Antonio Police Department said she left her home near Buena Vista and Commerce Street on the West Side.

Her case was picked up the the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. They also recently completed an age progression to show what she would look like at the age of 17.

Yet, she persists in NAMUS. I don't think those files are monitored very well by LE

There was also a Bessie Lindner who was the same age. She was from Scotland and married someone named Lindner. They got divorced and she apparently died in 1979 in another state. She never became a US citizen. --Keep in mind that Charley Project calls her Bessie Lindner and not Bessie Linder, so I looked into that name.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back