MA MA - Elinor Carnevale, 28, Lowell, 6 Sept 1969

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score

Elinor Carnevale
Middlesex County, Massachusetts
28 year old white female

Blond/Strawberry hair
Blue eyes

Height (inches)
65.0 to 67.0
Weight (pounds)

Pierced ears

Circumstances: Car was found abandoned with wallet and cash in MV

Dental information / charting is currently not available

DNA Status: Sample submitted - Tests complete

Fingerprint information is currently not available

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/35507/

November 13, 1970 The Lowell Sun from Lowell, Massachusetts · Page 37

From OCR Text

[FONT=&amp]DA fears Lowell woman met with ominous fate' [/FONT]LOWELL Middlesex County District . Atty. John J. Droney said today that the disappearance of a 29 - year - old Lowell woman is "far more than a missing persons investigation." Droney, whose office has been asked to assist [FONT=&amp]in the hunt of Mrs. Elinor (Myers) Carnivale, who has been missing from her Lowell home for more than a year, stopped short of terming the case a murder investigation but did say he fears the woman has met an "ominous fate."

The District Atty. said that his office has "talked with, a number of people about the case" and have administered lie detector tests to' two people. Droney declined to name the two who were asked to take the lie detector tests but did say they were both from the Lowell area and that both "were very cooperative."

"WE HAVE no evidence of foul play at this time but the fact that there has been no contact by Mrs. Carnivale to close friends and relatives over the past 15 months doesn't look very good," Droney stated. There is no evidence that Mrs. Carnivale had amnesia and we feel that if she was living she would have contacted some of these, people he stated.
Droney said that Lt. Det, Joseph Dwyer of the[/FONT][FONT=&amp][FONT=&quot] State Police is working out of Lowell and is In charge of the investigation. He said the case has resulted in telephone contact with "a number of out of state people from as far. away as Florida and Bermuda. Droney .said the delay in notifying' the District Attorney's office about the case has made the investigation somewhat difficult.

The woman has been missing since August of 1969 but the D.A.'s office was not notified until September of 1970: Last month the District Attorney's office and local police asked for the public's assistance in finding the woman.

Known as "Ellie," the woman' was last seen in Chelmsford on the night of Aug. 6, 1969. Police describe the woman as "very attractive," weighing 135 pounds, five - feet seven inches tail with - blonde hair, blue eyes and a medium build. Anyone having information on her whereabouts are asked to contact Capt. Daniel f. Murphy or Lt. Dwyer of the State Police, Det. Peter W. Agnes of the District. Attorney's office or Capt. Richard A. Cullen of the Lowell Police department.[/FONT][/FONT]

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/45770177/

Gardener, Gee, you found another obscure missing person case from my local area. Just initial gut instinct...Why does her name sound familiar? Is that how she spelled her first name, Elinor?

Is the date of last contact on NamUs a typo? Because in the newspaper records, it says that Elinor vanished on August 6, 1969, but for whatever reason, it says that she hasn't been seen since September 6, 1969.

Researching another case I found a birth record for Elinor on Ancestry.com. Provides her middle name for anyone interested.

Name:
Elinor Mildred Myers
Birth Date: 1941
Birth Place: Lowell, Massachusetts, USA
Volume Number: 71
Page Number: 207
Index Volume Number: 146
Reference Number: F63.M362 v.146

Attempting to make above article larger/readable:
attachment.php
The article says Elinor left her mother's home at 6:00 pm to visit her daughters; she was last seen leaving her residence at 8:30 pm. Did anyone see her after leaving her home? Did her daughters, especially Angela, remember her mother visit?
I found extremelly weird her friend's testimony... Let's assume Elinor abandoned her daughters to start a new life somewhere else, she would have taken her new car, the money she left at home, clothes... It's absolutely illogical to spend a lot of money in a car to leave it behind, along with the balance. I know, it may be a spontaneous decision, but... I can't believe it.
I would like to know if the investigators looked for fingerprints in her car, if her seat and rearview mirror were according her height... And I would like to know if they investigate her husband.

• carnevale_elinor.jpg
Carnevale, circa 1969
  • Missing Since 08/06/1969
  • Missing From Lowell, Massachusetts
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • RaceWhite
  • Age 28 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'5 - 5'7, 135 pounds

• Clothing/Jewelry Description An orange pantsuit.

• Associated Vehicle(s) 1966 sedan (accounted for)

• Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Carnevale's ears are pierced. Her maiden name is Myers and her nickname is Ellie.

Details of Disappearance​

Carnevale was last seen in Lowell, Massachusetts on August 6, 1969. She lived with her mother in the 30 block of Royal Street at the time. She'd moved in with her on August 1, leaving her husband and two young children at their residence in the 10 block of Cambridge Street in Chelmsford. She left all her clothing behind and has never been heard from again.

Two days after Carnevale's disappearance, the 1966 sedan she'd just bought was found abandoned in the parking lot of St. John's Hospital in Lowell. It had been there for days. The keys were in the ignition and Carnevale's purse and wallet, containing $4, was on the front seat.

Carnevale disappeared less than a week after receiving a $3,500 settlement for a car accident. She spent most of the money over the next few days, including paying $1,750 for her new car, and left the balance, $400, behind at home.

Carnevale is described as a devoted mother who regularly visited her children even after moving out of their house. She dated other men after separating from her husband, and one of the man she was seeing was asked to take a polygraph and passed. She has a history of turning to professional people for help and treatment.

Carnevale's husband stated she called him on the evening of August 18, twelve days after her disappearance, and said she was staying at a hotel in downtown Boston, Massachusetts. The police have been unable to verify this. A friend believed she might have left of her own accord, stating Carnevale had said she was "discouraged" and wanted to go to California or Ohio, but her family discounted this theory because they didn't think she would have left her children. Her case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency​

• Massachusetts State Police 781-897-6623

Source Information​

Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated January 19, 2019; casefile added.

Well, this is another missing persons case from my neck of the woods. For Elinor’s case it seems we primarily have to rely upon newspaper articles for information. I cannot speak for anyone else, but trying to put a timeline together and seeking what I consider basic, primary information seems to be lacking. I’m reading the articles on the case and I have so many questions. There seems to be no follow up, interviews with family members, Especially her mother, witnesses, etc. where was she going that night?

I suppose I could chalk it up to the mores of the time and the way articles were written but the emphasis on her attractiveness in the is a little off-putting.

She left her mothers house on the evening of August 6, her automobile was found two days later on August 8. Why did it take four days for her mother to report her missing?

A newspaper article states that she dated frequently as she was separated from her husband. So, before August 6 were they separated, but living in the same house? Or are they saying that she was dating frequently for five days between August 1 and August 6?

The report of her money ($400) left over seems to be off. The settlement was for $3500, she paid $1750 for the automobile. That should leave a balance of $1750.

Two days after Carnevale's disappearance, the 1966 sedan she'd just bought was found abandoned in the parking lot of St. John's Hospital in Lowell. Yet the reports state It had been there for several days

The article says, “She has a history of turning to professional people for help and treatment.” I am not sure what exactly the writer was trying to convey. Anyway, I found it a little amusing. I mean, Do we go to a CPA to do our taxes, and attorney for legal advice, psychiatrist for mental issues, etc.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back