NJ - Multiple deaths after school bus collides with truck in Mount Olive, 17 May 2018

dotr

Reaction score
http://canoe.com/news/world/school-...on-new-jersey-highway-multiple-people-injured
MOUNT OLIVE, N.J. — A school bus taking children on a field trip to a New Jersey historic site collided with a dump truck Thursday, ripping the bus apart and killing multiple people, officials said.

The crash left the bus lying on its side on the guardrail of Interstate 80 in Mount Olive, its undercarriage and front end sheared off and its steering wheel exposed. Some of the victims crawled out of the emergency exit in the back of the bus and an escape hatch on the roof.
bus2.jpg
Emergency personnel work at the scene of a school bus and dump truck collision, injuring multiple people, on Interstate 80 in Mount Olive, N.J., Thursday, May 17, 2018. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)
“I heard a scraping sound and we toppled over the highway,” said student Theo Ancevski, who was sitting in the fourth row of the bus and was treated at a hospital for cuts and scrapes. “A lot of people were screaming and hanging from their seatbelts.”

The Morris County prosecutor’s office said there were multiple fatalities but declined to say how many before their families are notified.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/school-bus-crashes-in-new-jersey/
15 min ago
Counseling will be available for students tomorrow

Schools will be open tomorrow and crisis counselors will be present to assist the children and the staff, Bergen
A teacher and student were killed and 43 others were injured in today's bus crash in the Mount Olive Township in Morris County, New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy said.

Some of the 43 injured are in critical condition and undergoing surgery at local hospitals, Murphy said, though he did not provide further information on how manCounty Executive Jim Tedesco said.

Evening actives are canceled for today and tomorrow.
Dr. Michele Robinson, the school district's superintendent added: "We are devastated by today’s events. We are coming together as a community. We will ensure that students coming tomorrow are treated with a crisis team so that we can lend support to our students and our families in Paramus."

5 min ago
At least 2 people killed and 43 injured in bus crash, governor says

A teacher and student were killed and 43 others were injured in today's bus crash in the Mount Olive Township in Morris County, New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy said.

Some of the 43 injured are in critical condition and undergoing surgery at local hospitals, Murphy said, though he did not provide further information on how many.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mount-olive-new-jersey-school-bus-crash-today-2018-05-17/

The body of the bus came completely off its chassis and was resting on its side in the highway median.

"I have never seen anything like that. I can only describe it as horrific," said Mount Olive Mayor Robert Greenbaum, CBS New York reported.

There were 38 students and 7 adults on the bus including the driver, according New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy, who spoke at a press conference Thursday. A total of 43 people of those 45 were injured and transported to hospitals for treatment, he said.

The front end of the dump truck was mangled in the crash, which occurred around 10:30 a.m. E.T. The condition of the truck driver wasn't known.

The bus was carrying fifth grade students from East Brook Middle School in Paramus. They were on a field trip to Waterloo Village, which depicts a Lenape Indian community and once-thriving port along the Morris Canal. It is a popular site for school trips.

Attachments

• 13JxespM8AWP2cOX.jpg
    13JxespM8AWP2cOX.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 31
Sources tell CBS2 the school bus missed an exit and was trying to take an illegal U-turn when the collision occurred. The bus was carrying a group of fifth graders from East Brook Middle School in Paramus.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/05/17/mount-olive-school-bus-crash/

"The bus, carrying 43 students and chaperones headed to Waterloo Village from the East Brook Middle School in Paramus, may have crossed three lanes of traffic into the path of the dump truck while trying to make a U-turn after missing its exit, according to NBC 4 New York, citing Department of Transportation traffic camera footage described by multiple sources."

http://nj1015.com/bus-slammed-on-route-80-while-trying-to-make-u-turn-report-says/

This is ridiculous.......really. You miss an exit....and w...t....I wouldn’t try it in a Porsche let alone a school bus full of kids.idiot driver.

So today I am driving past the scene of this accident (currently marked with two wooden crosses, flowers, several toys) I'm in the fast lane as there are several tractor trailers in the other lanes and I come up on a car, driving 30mph (in the fast lane) attempting to take a video of the scene out of the drivers side window. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Your going to do this while driving, especially during commuter hours?? What is wrong with people!!

I'm very sorry that this horrible, horrible accident happened. And I feel like a jerk saying this but part of me wants to call the DOT / State Police and ask them to take down the memorial, before someone else gets killed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back