Not open for further replies.

Tricia

Manager Websleuths.com
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
UPDATE WEBSLEUTHS WILL BE OFFLINE TOMORROW, TUESDAY MAY 22ND INSTEAD OF TODAY

Dear Websleuths Members,

We are finally getting that brand new house we have been trying to buy for years. Websleuths is moving to our new software.

The forum will go down Tuesday morning May 22nd. Don't panic. All we are doing is moving everything over to the new software. We should be back up by the 24th.

All of your posts and private messages show up on the new forum in the exact same place.

Unless something surprises us and we have major issues this move is going to be pretty smooth.

If you used the Websleuths Blogging then please understand your blog posts will disappear. If you want to save them you need to download them now.

We will not have a Blog option on our new forum. I'm sorry we can't offer you a blogging site any longer but trust me, with the new software you will forget about blogging and be jumping around trying out all the bells and whistles.

If you have been beta testing for us please know the beta testing forum will be removed on Sunday.

When Websleuths is down please check the Websleuths Facebook and the Websleuths Twitter accounts for updates on the move and your favorite cases.

Feel free to post questings and I will do my best to answer ASAP.

Take Care,
Tricia

Tap a talk... will you still be using it?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Tap a talk... will you still be using it?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

No, the new software automatically fits into whatever you are using. Tapatalk is obsolete with this new software.

The software is called XenForo.

fingers crossed and all good energy coming your way for a smooth transition!!!! See everyone on the flip side!

Hate to say this but I have been on other forums (technical aviation related) and when they moved to "new and improved" software nothing worked properly after that and the forum faded away to nothing

Sad situation because there was tons of historical archive content that members had contributed for 15 years.

I warned them and warned them not to change , but they went ahead anyway. Thousands of aviators around the world had bookmarked thousands of posts and referred back to them in classroom settings etc .... after the new software no bookmarks worked . Even internal bookmarks did not work.

I hope I am wrong and everything here survives , but if it does it will be the first.

best wishes

EDIT to also mention .... on the aviation forum no members could even get signed in after the update

I hope all goes well with the move and I look forward to seeing the changes.

Hate to say this but I have been on other forums (technical aviation related) and when they moved to "new and improved" software nothing worked properly after that and the forum faded away to nothing

Sad situation because there was tons of historical archive content that members had contributed for 15 years.

I warned them and warned them not to change , but they went ahead anyway. Thousands of aviators around the world had bookmarked thousands of posts and referred back to them in classroom settings etc .... after the new software no bookmarks worked . Even internal bookmarks did not work.

I hope I am wrong and everything here survives , but if it does it will be the first.

best wishes

EDIT to also mention .... on the aviation forum no members could even get signed in after the update

Oh no, I sure hope this isn’t the case.

Sounds exciting, I do have a few questions though:

Will we have to re-register?

What about avatars and sig lines? Will those be saved and transferred?

Oh no, I sure hope this isn’t the case.
I think this is a good question about the old bookmarks. I’m really not sure how that will or won’t work. The beta site for is not the full site packaged for testing. But I can attest that the majority, if not all, errors I experienced (and there were some) were operator errors due to my own fault. Change is stressful but is inevitable. Keep the faith. I believe our IT guy and WS Admin have this under control.

So exciting! Can't wait to try it. Good luck with the move.

I don't know what I'll do for 48 hours without WS! Is that for the resolving of the new IP or is that for physical transfers of files or both?

Good luck to those working behind the scenes for the move, and thank you for all you do to provide us with this forum and keep it running smoothly as a source of information and discussion!

Yes, just like you would go to any other website. :)

I only use tapatalk because I was having issues with WS on my mobile browser. I was only able to view one post per thread. It was super frustrating. I posted in the IT type threads for help but never got a resolution. Will this still be an issue on the new layout?

Ooooh, I'm glad I saw that. I need to cancel my adfree version of it, then. Thanks for letting us know!
How do you cancel? I looked up the "Contact us" but it wasn't very helpful.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

So is there an app we need to download? I'm not good with mobile tech so please excuse what is probably a dumb question.

Sent from my SCH-I435L using Tapatalk

you don't have to do anything, It should work fine with anything you are using. you won't need Tapatalk if you are currently using it.

Oh happy day! Can’t wait to see it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tricia....so excited for you and WS. Cannot wait to see the new site and then learn how it works. I am glad that it is after the royal wedding though!

I only use tapatalk because I was having issues with WS on my mobile browser. I was only able to view one post per thread. It was super frustrating. I posted in the IT type threads for help but never got a resolution. Will this still be an issue on the new layout?
I don’t know if this will help but when I first started testing the beta, even my old, old first generation iPad handled opening it with posts viewable as before. I got a brand new iPad for Mother’s Day and I’ve logged back into the beta and it’s like magic. I feel like I now am more comfortable with the new than this one now. I’m so happy I tested because I knew the best thing I could do is to find errors and not regard them as mistakes; so I explored and tried doing things I’d never do in this one. I’m comfortable in offering my opinion that the navigation is more streamlined especially for newer users. The errors I spoke of in my previous post were not about stating software problems but my own mistakes in experiencing change. I’m excited for the countdown. But yes, how many of us will experience withdrawal symptoms from sharing within this humanly connecting public forum?

I don’t know if this will help but when I first started testing the beta, even my old, old first generation iPad handled opening it with posts viewable as before. I got a brand new iPad for Mother’s Day and I’ve logged back into the beta and it’s like magic. I feel like I now am more comfortable with the new than this one now. I’m so happy I tested because I knew the best thing I could do is to find errors and not regard them as mistakes; so I explored and tried doing things I’d never do in this one. I’m comfortable in offering my opinion that the navigation is more streamlined especially for newer users. The errors I spoke of in my previous post were not about stating software problems but my own mistakes in experiencing change. I’m excited for the countdown. But yes, how many of us will experience withdrawal symptoms from sharing within this humanly connecting public forum?

I’m not really sure what you’re talking about to be honest. I had a problem viewing the websleuths website on my iPhone browser. It would only show one post per thread. Idk what you mean by “even my old, old first generation iPad handled opening it with posts viewable as before”. Before what? Were you experiencing the same issue as me before?

I’m 31 and pretty tech savvy. However I was not able to figure out the issue with my phone vs the websleuths website which is why I downloaded tapatalk. I am hoping it is not still an issue for me on the new platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McKeith