AZ AZ - Klaus Marten, 28, & June Walker, 22, Yuma, 15 July 1951

shadowangel

Black cats consider me unlucky.
Reaction score
When he looked out on the expanse of open desert, June's father John Walker knew that the search was over. The Long Island, NY resident later told reporters, "You could put New York in a small corner of it".
His trip to Arizona in 1954 was the final attempt to unravel the mystery surrounding the disappearance of his lovely daughter, 22-year-old June.

June was a nursing student in Pasadena, CA. There she befriended a salesman, 28-year old Klaus Marten. On July 15th, 1951, the two rented a light airplane and set out from East Los Angeles enroute to Blythe, CA. The two have never been seen again.

The airplane was found in the desert southeast of Yuma, AZ, on July 31st. The plane appeared to be in perfect condition, only low on gas. A note was found in the plane which stated the couple were starting to walk west "at 5:45 am Monday" (believed to be July 16th).

Two sets of prints were discovered leading away from the plane. Sheriff's deputies followed the prints nearly 4 miles into the desert, to the top of a low ridge where the tracks simply stopped-as though they had been "whisked away".

The sheriff expressed doubt that the couple could have survived in the desert heat. Mid-day temps reached 120 degrees...June was reported to be wearing shorts "and no hat".
Repeated searches failed to find any sign of the couple. An aerial search was conducted by the Civil Air Patrol in April of '52, but no new clues were revealed.

Did the couple plan the disappearance? Could they have fallen victim to local prospectors or someone observing the plane landing?

Or, could they still be out there in the high desert, waiting for a hiker to stumble across the final answer to this 50-year old mystery?

The Pilot obviously overshot his destination by a few miles, to have landed SE of Yuma. Blythe is in the SE part of California, east of the San Bernardino Mountains and just west of the Colorado River.

It sounds like the pilot must have put the plane down due to low fuel, or engine failure, and that they knew aproximately where they were to have attempted the journey on foot. I wonder what condition the plane's radios were in? Was there a Mayday call? Had they been checking in with points along the route?

The most likely scenario is that they succumbed to the desert heat or evening cold. Their best bet would have been to have stayed with the plane and tried various means of signalling.

The other night, I was on Dallas Morning News Historical archives, looking for info on little miss x, and there were many, very informative articles on this case. Just letting you know, this wasn't posted yet so I didn't pull the articles.

When he looked out on the expanse of open desert, June's father John Walker knew that the search was over. The Long Island, NY resident later told reporters, "You could put New York in a small corner of it".
His trip to Arizona in 1954 was the final attempt to unravel the mystery surrounding the disappearance of his lovely daughter, 22-year-old June.

June was a nursing student in Pasadena, CA. There she befriended a salesman, 28-year old Klaus Marten. On July 15th, 1951, the two rented a light airplane and set out from East Los Angeles enroute to Blythe, CA. The two have never been seen again.

The airplane was found in the desert southeast of Yuma, AZ, on July 31st. The plane appeared to be in perfect condition, only low on gas. A note was found in the plane which stated the couple were starting to walk west "at 5:45 am Monday" (believed to be July 16th).

Two sets of prints were discovered leading away from the plane. Sheriff's deputies followed the prints nearly 4 miles into the desert, to the top of a low ridge where the tracks simply stopped-as though they had been "whisked away".

The sheriff expressed doubt that the couple could have survived in the desert heat. Mid-day temps reached 120 degrees...June was reported to be wearing shorts "and no hat".
Repeated searches failed to find any sign of the couple. An aerial search was conducted by the Civil Air Patrol in April of '52, but no new clues were revealed.

Did the couple plan the disappearance? Could they have fallen victim to local prospectors or someone observing the plane landing?

Or, could they still be out there in the high desert, waiting for a hiker to stumble across the final answer to this 50-year old mystery?
Bump!

I would love to see this solved! although I live in Ky, I have family in Blythe who told me about this story. I have been to Blythe many, many times , and have seen the heat reach as high as 126.

This article claims "smugglers or foreign spies" were responsible for their disappearance:

june walker klaus martens - Newspapers.com

While I highly doubt that was the case, I found it interesting the article also mentions that Martens' "ex-father-in-law" took over his estate after his disappearance. Exactly how much money/property are we talking?

This blog post states that Martens was in the process of a divorce, but still legally married while seeing June:

Strange Company: Disappearance in the Desert: The Walker/Martens Mystery

It also says that Martens did not file a flight plan before taking off.

Very bizarre. He could have easily landed around a nearby town. If he were defecting to East Germany why would he ask his "date" along ? No bodies, obviously picked up by someone. For what purpose ? As they say "Someone knows something" - but they ain't talking. Maybe Klaus wasn't the brightest bulb in the drawer, got lost, lost his head, made a very bad decision - but not consistent with the disappearing trail ? Weird.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back