ID ID - Deborah Swanson, 31, Coeur D'Alene, 29 March 1986

Liz

I am not a chemist and this is not my 1st rodeo
Reaction score
The Doe Network: Case File 15DFID

Deborah Jean Swanson

Information is from the Doe Network
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/15dfid.html

Missing since March 29, 1986 from Coeur D'Alene, Kootenai County, Idaho.

Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Date Of Birth: July 30, 1954

Age at Time of Disappearance: 31 years old

Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4; 130 pounds

Distinguishing Characteristics: White female.

Blonde hair; green eyes.

Circumstances of Disappearance

Swanson was a special education teacher in Coeur D'Alene, ID when she she disappeared on March 29, 1986. She was last seen at the Tubbs Hill trail entrance. Presumably, Swanson was going to hike or jog on the trail.

Police found Swanson's car in a parking lot near Tubbs Hill. Her purse and shopping bags were inside. Keys have not been located. She missed appointments schduled for March 30 and March 31, 1986.

Foul play is suspected.

If you have information on Swanson's whereabouts, please contact: Coeur D'Alene Police Department
208-769-2320

~Praying for a resolution regarding the Deborah Jean's disappearance!

Note to mods: If this is posted in the wrong sub-forum please PM me and I will gladly move it :)

http://www.cdapress.com/articles/2006/03/26/news/news01.txt

Posted: Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 - 07:07:38 pm PST
By Lynn Berk/Staff Writer

Only theories to explain what happened to missing women "It's funny you should call now," says Lynn Swanson. "I had a dream about Debbie last night. In my dream, she was 5-years-old. "But I think I've probably accepted the fact that I've lost her. From the beginning, when my daughter disappeared, I suspected foul play. I knew something was wrong."

And now, officially, so does the Coeur d'Alene Police Department. Twenty years after special education teacher Deborah Jean Swanson vanished, police are hoping the new Secret Witness Program will bring forward information about the woman police now openly believe was a victim of "foul play."

--> more at link

There was a serial rapist and killer who worked a similar MO. He struck women jogging on a horse path in one city but had victems elsewhere as well. I believe he was a driver of a Pepsi truck or something like that and so had a wide ranging sales route.

I don't remember his name right off but I wonder if police should be looking at who, in her area, was driving a pepsi truck back then.

docwho3 said:
There was a serial rapist and killer who worked a similar MO. He struck women jogging on a horse path in one city but had victems elsewhere as well. I believe he was a driver of a Pepsi truck or something like that and so had a wide ranging sales route.

I don't remember his name right off but I wonder if police should be looking at who, in her area, was driving a pepsi truck back then.

Doc, thank you for this information. I will try to do some digging around and see what I can find. I wouldn't be surprised if it's been checked out, but it can't hurt to do some more checking. It would be nice if her family could be given some answers after all these years. I just can't imagine how that must be. :(

It was 20 years ago, today, that Deborah Jean Swanson went missing.

Crime Stoppers Offering Cash Reward For Information Leading To The Resolution Of Two Cold Cases

Crime Stoppers of the Inland Northwest is offering a cash reward for information leading to the resolution of two cold cases. These cases were profiled by Secret Witness in Spokane in May twenty-seven years ago. In March of 2006 Secret Witness of Kootenai County (Currently Crimes Stoppers of the Inland Northwest) offered a standing reward for these two unsolved missing person cases.

On March 29th 1986 Deborah Jean Swanson was reported missing after she had parked her vehicle in the Third Street parking lot and went onto Tubbs Hill to jog. She was last seen at 4:40pm walking onto the hill. Her vehicle was found in the lot by detectives. It was undisturbed and locked with her purse, wallet and identification in it. An extensive search of the recreational area revealed no evidence as to the reason for her disappearance.

Deborah was employed at the time as a school teacher with the Coeur d'Alene School District. Her disappearance remains unsolved and it is believed by police that she was a victim of foul play. She was 31 years of age at the time of her disappearance and she would be 56 years of age now. She is described as a white female, 5'4, 130 lbs, blonde hair, and blue eyes. See the attached photo of Deborah Swanson.

http://www.khq.com/story/22211942/c...n-leading-to-the-resolution-of-two-cold-cases

22211942_BG1.jpg

[h=3]Rewards being offered for information in 29-year-old cold cases[/h]
Crime Stoppers of the Inland Northwest is offering a cash reward if you can help police solve two nearly 30-year-old cold cases.

On March 29, 1986 Deborah Jean Swanson was reported missing after she went jogging on Tubbs Hill. Witnesses last saw her walking onto the hill and her car was found in the parking lot, undisturbed, by police the next day. Deborah was 31 at the time she disappeared and would be 60-year-old old today. Police believe she was the victim of foul play.

Deborah Swanson is described as white, 5'4", 130 pounds, blonde hair and blue eyes. However she could obviously look different today.

http://www.khq.com/story/28395737/rewards-being-offered-for-information-in-29-year-old-cold-cases

"Emotional conclusion: Buhl teacher's art project honors friend who disappeared decades ago"

http://www.cdapress.com/news/local_news/article_c4b5bb42-3479-51b3-be15-b885f3a1e756.html

Popplewell doubts Swanson could be alive after all these years.

"I just wish the family could have some resolution," she said.

As a tribute to Swanson, she revived an art project she first completed with her friend. For the project, advanced seventh-grade art students made "pillow people" of themselves.

"I thought about all the art projects I've done through the years and the ones that were the most fun. This project was one of them," she said. Coincidentally, one of the photos Popplewell has of Swanson is of her holding a pillow person.

"I wanted to convey to my students that in a blink, life can change, and the idea that we can honor and remember those who are gone," she said. "I think the project was a great tribute to her (Swanson)."

There is no doubt in my mind these two women are linked to the Julie Weflen case. One break in any of these cases could solve all three. Look at the time frame, MO, and distance between abductions. Not to mention they all look like they could be sisters. I drive by the Weflen crime scene often & it bugs the hell out of me that the unsub is still free & or unidentified.

Does anyone have any information about the party Debbie attended shortly before her disappearance? Feel free to pm me if you don't want to post here.

It's crazy that Idaho has so many creepy cases. Did she have any suspicious exes, jealous co-workers? Enemies?

DSwanson.jpg
DSwanson1.jpg

Deborah Jean Swanson

Name: Deborah Jean Swanson
Case Classification: Non-Family Abduction
Missing Since: March 29, 1986
Location Last Seen: Coeur D'Alene, Kootenai County, Idaho

Physical Description
Date of Birth: July 30, 1954
Race: White
Height: 5'4"
Weight: 130 lbs
Hair Color: Blonde
Eye Color: Green
Nickname/Alias: None
Distinguishing Marks/Features: None

Identifiers
Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Initial inquiry underway

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance
Swanson was a special education teacher in Coeur D'Alene, ID when she she disappeared on March 29, 1986. She was last seen at the Tubbs Hill trail entrance. Presumably, Swanson was going to hike or jog on the trail. There was a lot of activity on Tubbs Hill that day. But nothing to show police what happened to Swanson once her students lost sight of her heading up the trail. The last place she was seen may not be where she disappeared. She was reported missing on April 1.

Police found Swanson's car in a parking lot near Tubbs Hill. Her purse and shopping bags were inside. Keys have not been located. There were no signs of a struggle.

She was due at a friend's house the next day for Easter dinner. The food she was supposed to bring was found, still wrapped in her refrigerator. On Monday, she failed to show up for work at Sorensen Elementary School. Law enforcement used every means necessary -- including infrared, dogs, helicopters and divers -- to search every inch of the 120-acre hill and the waters around it.

Foul play is suspected. Swanson was the first Coeur D' Alene woman who went missing in two months. In May, Sally Anne Stone went missing after an appointment with her physical therapist.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Coeur D'Alene Police Department
Agency Contact Person: Sergeant B. McCormick
Agency Phone Number: 208 769-2320
Agency E-Mail: bmccormick@isp.state.id.us
Agency Case Number: 6653
NCIC Case Number: M191999400
NamUs Case Number: 2073

Information Source(s)
NamUs
Nampn
Idaho Missing Persons' Clearinghouse
The Coeur d'Alene Press
The Spokesman-Review - May 16, 1993
15DFID - Deborah Jean Swanson

Deborah Jean Swanson
  • deborah_jean_swanson_1.jpg
  • deborah_jean_swanson_2.jpg
  • deborah_jean_swanson_3.jpg
Swanson, circa 1986
  • Missing Since 03/29/1986
  • Missing From Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 07/30/1954 (65)
  • Age 31 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'4, 130 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, green eyes. Swanson's ears are pierced. Her nickname is Debbie.
Details of Disappearance

Swanson was a special education teacher in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho in 1986. She was last seen walking near the entrance to Tubbs Hill trail at 4:40 p.m. on March 29, 1986. Authorities believe she went there to go jogging.

Swanson's vehicle was found locked and abandoned in the Third Street parking lot near Tubbs Hill later that day. A K-Mart shopping bag was in the trunk and her purse was inside the car, but there was no sign of Swanson, and the car keys were missing and have never been found.

She missed appointments over the following two days, March 30 and 31, and was reported missing on April 1. Swanson has never been heard from again. Extensive searches of the area produced no clues as to her whereabouts.

Investigators believe Swanson was taken against her will; foul play is suspected in her case. Other women have been attacked on the trail where she was last seen, but the attacks have not been linked to her disappearance. Swanson is described as a social, athletic person who enjoyed her job. Her case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
  • Coeur d'Alene Police Department 208-769-2320
Source Information

Deborah Jean Swanson
deborah_jean_swanson_1.jpg
deborah_jean_swanson_2.jpg
deborah_jean_swanson_3.jpg

Swanson, circa 1986
  • Missing Since 03/29/1986
  • Missing From Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 07/30/1954 (67)
  • Age 31 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'4, 130 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, green eyes. Swanson's ears are pierced. Her nickname is Debbie.
Details of Disappearance

Swanson was a special education teacher in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho in 1986. She was last seen walking near the entrance to Tubbs Hill trail at 4:40 p.m. on March 29, 1986. Authorities believe she went there to go jogging.

Swanson's vehicle was found locked and abandoned in the Third Street parking lot near Tubbs Hill later that day. A K-Mart shopping bag was in the trunk and her purse was inside the car, but there was no sign of Swanson, and the car keys were missing and have never been found.

She missed appointments over the following two days, March 30 and 31, and was reported missing on April 1. Swanson has never been heard from again. Extensive searches of the area produced no clues as to her whereabouts.

Investigators believe Swanson was taken against her will; foul play is suspected in her case. Other women have been attacked on the trail where she was last seen, but the attacks have not been linked to her disappearance. Swanson is described as a social, athletic person who enjoyed her job. Her case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
  • Coeur d'Alene Police Department 208-769-2320
Source Information

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member