PonderingThings

Former member
Reaction score
http://www.herald-sun.com/orange/10-717560.html

Unidentified woman pays for prescriptions at random

By BETH VELLIQUETTE : The Herald-Sun
bvelliquette@heraldsun.com
Mar 27, 2006 : 5:46 pm ET

HILLSBOROUGH -- When James "Pete" Boyd went to the local Kerr Drug pharmacy last week to pick up a prescription, he pulled out his wallet to pay for it and got a big surprise.

It's already paid for, the clerk told Boyd.

"They told me there was no charge," Boyd said. "They said that a woman had come in and paid for my prescription."

Boyd couldn't believe it or understand it. "I thought they were kidding with me," he said. "I asked her two or three times, and they said somebody already came in and paid for it."

Who paid for the prescription and why?, he wondered.

Boyd, a bailiff with the Orange County Sheriff's Office, asked for the woman's name. "I asked them because I wanted to thank her, but they said she did not want this to be revealed," he said.

After Boyd received his free prescription, he told a friend what happened, and the friend, he said, told Boyd the same thing had happened to him. "This guy told me he had no idea [who she was] either," Boyd said. "I have no idea who it is."

At Kerr Drug, located on the U.S. 70 Bypass on the north side of Hillsborough, pharmacy manager Frank Hunter said he's known the woman for a number of years. "She just looks at it as being a random act of kindness," he said. "She's been doing it a right good while."

For a year or so, the woman has periodically stopped by the pharmacy and paid for someone's prescription. The employees at the pharmacy just pick a prescription at random from the shelf, and that's the one she pays for, Hunter said.

"We don't even look at who we pick," he said. "She doesn't care if it's somebody deserving or not."

The kind-hearted woman is more than 50 years of age, and that is about all Hunter would say about her. And she's not fabulously rich either, he said.

"She just feels better when she does that," he said.

Generally, she gives between $25 and $50 to pay for each prescription, Hunter said. "She'll say, 'How much is it?' and we'll tell her, and she'll pay for it," he said.

Boyd said his friend's prescription cost more than $100.

Hunter couldn't estimate the total amount donated for prescriptions since the pharmacy hasn't kept a record and different employees have handled the transactions, he said.

On Boyd's prescription, he found the words, "God Loves You," written across the top.

"There's so much going on that somebody needs to know that there are people out there doing good deeds," he said.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taketherisk
Back