www.facebook.com
Unidentified White/Hispanic or Possibly Native American male
Located on September 17th, 2001 in Grays Harbor, Washington
Cause of death is apparent suicide
Doe Network case file is 233UMWA

Statistics:

Approx.Age: 20-30
Height and Weight: 72-75 inches and 140 pounds
Characteristics: Appendoctomy Scar on abdomen, Possible that JD spoke with a slight Canadian accent or a similar accent. JD had black hair and hazel eyes.
Dentals: Teeth were in near-perfect shape and charts are available
Clothing: Blue plaid shirt, gray "fruit of the loom" t-shirt, "Levi "550" blue jeans (size 36-34), black "Timberland" boots and a black leather belt

Case: Unknown. The individual had checked into the motel using the name "Lyle Stevik" from 1019 S. Progress Ave, Meridian, ID. The maid entered the room the following morning and he indicated that he was going to stay a few more days though he had only paid for one evening. The maid entered the room on 09/17/01 and found the subject hanging from the coat rack. Subject had left money on the nightstand that with a note that said "For the room". The only personal belongings in his possesion was a tooth brush and paste.

Investigative Agency: Grays Harbor Sheriff's Department
(360) 249 3711

Info Found: http://www.angelsmissing.com/forum/JOHN-DOE-LOCATED-SEPTEMBER-17-2001-t737.html

bykerladi said:
That address is a real address in Idaho

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?addr=1019+S.+Progress+Ave.&csz=Meridian%2C+ID&country=us&new=1&name=&qty=

A commercial address, but an address all the same. Unlikely he just made it up - seems like he must be from that area.

Website of the city of meridian:
http://www.meridiancity.org/home/index.asp

I forgot to mention that the adress was that for a motel!

Thanks! :D

I guess JD might have lived in hotels- but telling from clothing and dentals- I guess he didn't...

How's about making a name we can refer to this John Doe as? An idea I came up with a long time ago:D

Good idea! He doesn't really look like a "Lyle"...

You're right - its a Best Western...

Ok, there are four recognized Native American tribes in Idaho:

The Shoshone - Bannock Tribe in Fort Hall, ID (250 miles from Meridian, 846 miles from Amanda Park)

The Schitsu'umshTribe in Plummer, ID (443 miles from Meridian, 453 miles from Amanda Park)

The Kootenai Tribe in Bonners Ferry, ID (523 miles from Meridian, 517 miles from Amanda Park)

and The Nez Perce Tribe in Lapwai, ID (277 miles from Meridian, 458 miles from Amanda Park)

SO, if JD is native, its unlikely he lived on a reservation.

Of course, Amanda Park IS adjacent to the Quinault reservation. But I think they'd notice one of their own missing, wouldn't they?

I still think that the choice of an address in Meridian is a little too coincidental. He either was from that area, had previously been in that area, or was planning on being in that area (but "changed" his mind).

Ok, I got off track. How do you pick a name? We could call him Quinn...

bykerladi said:
Good idea! He doesn't really look like a "Lyle"...
I was thinking about "Robert Doe" because he looks like The Cure's Robert Smith circa 1980

I thought that Kenneth Haley was Doe at first because he looks like Doe- but there's so much that doesn't match...

Kenneth Haley: http://www.nampn.doenetwork.us/cases/haley_kenneth.html

People are welcome to post possible missing persons matches!

Thanx! : )

I think there is some native in him... whether indian or hispanic, I dunno.

Hmmm.... Robert.... He could be a Robert. I see the connection... :eek:

bykerladi said:
I think there is some native in him... whether indian or hispanic, I dunno.

Hmmm.... Robert.... He could be a Robert. I see the connection... :eek:
If he was a Canadian Native American he could have come from anywhere in Canada, since he was thought to have had a Canadian accent or something like it...

About his clothes- he would have had a well-paying job because Timberland boots are kinda expensive. Plus, his teeth were nearly perfect- so he might have gone to the dentist alot or he took care of his teeth alot- hence the toothbrush and paste!

Which, of course, begs the question why he hasn't been identified. Must've had money or been earning it, so someone must miss him...

If hes from Canada, why come to the US to kill yourself?

bykerladi said:
Which, of course, begs the question why he hasn't been identified. Must've had money or been earning it, so someone must miss him...

If hes from Canada, why come to the US to kill yourself?
He might have liked the USA or Washington meant something to him- kinda baffled me too...

I'm wondering if this man had a history of depression or he simply took his life over an event that might have happened in his life. I'm also interested about the events that might have happened before and during the time that this man died. Was he depressed? Did he go through a breakup? Did he lose a loved one?

The fact that he gave another hotel's address as his own and used an alias gives me feeling that he didn't want anyone to know about him...

BTW, do motels have surveillance tapes outside and inside at the front desk or anywhere in the motel itself? If this motel did- wouldn't they have him on tape in the lobby or at the front desk talking to someone?

Another question I have is why the Sheriff's Department doesn't have pictures of his clothing or that toothbrush and paste OR the note that he left on the nightstand (unless it was thrown out) on any of the missing/unidentified sites that this John Doe is on...

I have worked in 3 different hotels full time, but I've subbed at half a dozen more.

It dependes on the motel if they have cameras, the more expensive - the more likely. However if it is a high crime area they are liable to have cameras as well.

Also, I didn't see anything about a vehicle - did he arrive by cab or something? You would think they could track license or registration. So if he came to town without a car I wonder if they talked to the bus stations, maybe someone would have remembered what bus he came in on? That could help in finding out where he might have been from.

Traybone74 said:
I have worked in 3 different hotels full time, but I've subbed at half a dozen more.

It dependes on the motel if they have cameras, the more expensive - the more likely. However if it is a high crime area they are liable to have cameras as well.

Also, I didn't see anything about a vehicle - did he arrive by cab or something? You would think they could track license or registration. So if he came to town without a car I wonder if they talked to the bus stations, maybe someone would have remembered what bus he came in on? That could help in finding out where he might have been from.
I'm guessing maybe Vancouver or Aberdeen or anywhere that's close to Grays Harbor. Maybe a person like a friend could have dropped him off at the motel. Depends on when certian buses operated on the 15th-16th of September of that day during certian hours...

outofthedark said:
I'm wondering if this man had a history of depression or he simply took his life over an event that might have happened in his life. I'm also interested about the events that might have happened before and during the time that this man died. Was he depressed? Did he go through a breakup? Did he lose a loved one?...
Note that this man hanged himself on 16 September 2001. That was only five days after the Twin Towers and the Pentegon were attacked by Terrorists. That certainly was cause for much depression, and if he was already depressed due to some of the possibilities mentioned, maybe it was more than he could take. Perhaps he lost a loved one on 11 September?

In regard to a "name" for this John Doe, If I had posted it, I might have chosen "Grays Harbor John Doe" because it indicates where he was found and is unique, setting it apart from other cases.

Richard said:
Note that this man hanged himself on 16 September 2001. That was only five days after the Twin Towers and the Pentegon were attacked by Terrorists. That certainly was cause for much depression, and if he was already depressed due to some of the possibilities mentioned, maybe it was more than he could take. Perhaps he lost a loved one on 11 September?

In regard to a "name" for this John Doe, If I had posted it, I might have chosen "Grays Harbor John Doe" because it indicates where he was found and is unique, setting it apart from other cases.
I noticed that coincidence too... him possibly losing a loved one during that day could have been possible...

In addition to a "name"- the Doe Network should do a different sketch of him than the one they currently have- it's the same as the photographs of him from the NCMA website! Maybe a forensic artist should do one of him that has colour and has him smiling and replace the Doe Network one! The National Centre For Missing and Exploited Children have excellent artists and could do one of him as described, colourful and smiling and alive;)

Here is what the Doenetwork file on this man states, along with a link to the site which shows the composite sketch. Note that the name he gave to the Hotel Clerk was Lyle Stevik - a character in the book "You Must Remember This", by Joyce Carol Oates. He obviously identified in some way with that character. Does anyone know that book and character?
--------------------------------

Unidentified White / Native Male
Located on September 17, 2001 in Amanda Park, Grays Harbor County, Washington.
Date of death is September 16, 2001
Vital Statistics
Estimated age: 20 - 30 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 6'2"; 140 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Possibly Hispanic. Black hair; hazel eyes. His hair was neatly trimmed. Appendectomy scar on abdomen.
Dentals: Available. Teeth in near perfect shape. He had orthodontic work done.
Clothing: Blue plaid shirt, gray Fruit of the Loom T-shirt, Levi 550 blue jeans (size 36-34), black Timberland boots (size 10 Medium) and a black leather belt.
Fingerprints: Available
Other: It is possible that he spoke with a slight Canadian or similar accent.

Case History

The body of this white or Native American male was located in a Quinault area motel. his death has been ruled a suicide.

He had checked into the motel using the name "Lyle Stevik" from 1019 S. Progress Avenue, Meridian, Idaho. Address he listed is for a motel. Lyle Stevik is a character in the book You Must Remember This, by Joyce Carol Oates.

The maid entered the room the following morning and he indicated that he was going to stay a few more days though he had only paid for one evening. The maid entered the room on September 17, 2001 and found him hanging from the coat rack. He had left money on the nightstand that with a note that said "For the Room". The only personal belongings in his possession was a tooth brush and paste.

Fingerprints sent to FBI and RCMP with Negative results. He had recently lost a lot of weight (possibly 30-40 pounds).

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Grays Harbor Sheriff's Department
Detective Lane Youmans
360-249-3711 x574

Agency Case Number: 01-7870
NCIC Number: U-960002335
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
Missing Persons Gallery
Child Protection Education of America
The Doe Network: Case File 233UMWA

Link:
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/233umwa.html

Richard said:
Here is what the Doenetwork file on this man states, along with a link to the site which shows the composite sketch. Note that the name he gave to the Hotel Clerk was Lyle Stevik - a character in the book "You Must Remember This", by Joyce Carol Oates. He obviously identified in some way with that character. Does anyone know that book and character?
--------------------------------

Unidentified White / Native Male
Located on September 17, 2001 in Amanda Park, Grays Harbor County, Washington.
Date of death is September 16, 2001
Vital Statistics
Estimated age: 20 - 30 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 6'2"; 140 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Possibly Hispanic. Black hair; hazel eyes. His hair was neatly trimmed. Appendectomy scar on abdomen.
Dentals: Available. Teeth in near perfect shape. He had orthodontic work done.
Clothing: Blue plaid shirt, gray Fruit of the Loom T-shirt, Levi 550 blue jeans (size 36-34), black Timberland boots (size 10 Medium) and a black leather belt.
Fingerprints: Available
Other: It is possible that he spoke with a slight Canadian or similar accent.

Case History

The body of this white or Native American male was located in a Quinault area motel. his death has been ruled a suicide.

He had checked into the motel using the name "Lyle Stevik" from 1019 S. Progress Avenue, Meridian, Idaho. Address he listed is for a motel. Lyle Stevik is a character in the book You Must Remember This, by Joyce Carol Oates.

The maid entered the room the following morning and he indicated that he was going to stay a few more days though he had only paid for one evening. The maid entered the room on September 17, 2001 and found him hanging from the coat rack. He had left money on the nightstand that with a note that said "For the Room". The only personal belongings in his possession was a tooth brush and paste.

Fingerprints sent to FBI and RCMP with Negative results. He had recently lost a lot of weight (possibly 30-40 pounds).

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Grays Harbor Sheriff's Department
Detective Lane Youmans
360-249-3711 x574

Agency Case Number: 01-7870
NCIC Number: U-960002335
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
Missing Persons Gallery
Child Protection Education of America
The Doe Network: Case File 233UMWA

Link:
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/233umwa.html
I was curious about that weight-loss of 30-40 pounds and how he perhaps lost that weight...

About the source information- I think the second link or both links contain a post-mortem photo of JD and it doesn't have a warning/caution on the bottom- I'll see if I can e-mail them about that...

Here's a summary I found about the book You Must Remember This

Prolific writer Oates demonstrates awesome talent in her new novel, a family saga, set against the backdrop of conservatism that marked America in the 1950s. Through the actions of Lyle Stevick and his family, Oates creates a vivid portrait of bewildered, inarticulate people pushed against the narrow boundaries of their era by their emotions. Lyle is a man of small failures and smaller successes, a dealer in used furniture whose marriage is a continual reminder of one moment's misspent passion. He regards his brother Felix, a boxer, with cynicism born of envy. Lyle loves his children, but clearly does not know them. He is blind to his daughter Enid's affair with the virile Felix. Oates is not easy on her characters. She moves them through McCarthyism, backyard fallout shelters and illegal abortions, slapping them with harsh reflections of their weaknesses. Fully developed, they are described in language that is both elegant and gritty. The scenes between Enid and Felix add a pulsing, sensate eroticism. Infused with narrative energy, this is one of Oates's strongest books in many seasons. 50,000 first printing; major ad/promo; Literary Guild main selection.
Copyright 1987 Reed Business Information, Inc.

I looked up "Quinault" on google and I found a site for an indian reservation and a lodge- so if he is American Indian- he could possibly be a Quinault Indian maybe. I found something called "Destination Grays Harbor, 2002- Quinault area and I wondered if this was the place he stayed at- but the case history says "motel", so it's hard to know what hotel he was at in Quinault area...

The book "You Must Remember This", by Joyce Carol Oates takes its title from the first line of a WW II era song "As Time Goes By..." A British TV soap opera show (seen in the US on PBS) uses the same song as its theme song.

You must remember this,
A kiss is just a kiss,
A sigh is just a sigh.
The fundamental things apply,
As time goes by....

Richard said:
The book "You Must Remember This", by Joyce Carol Oates takes its title from the first line of a WW II era song "As Time Goes By..." A British TV soap opera show (seen in the US on PBS) uses the same song as its theme song.

You must remember this,
A kiss is just a kiss,
A sigh is just a sigh.
The fundamental things apply,
As time goes by....
Interesting fact about the book title...

Still hard to figure out what the connection is between JD and the story- I could guess that he had read the story at one point in his life or it was his favorite story, I dunno...

I have searched more missing persons and I still have dead-ends as to who JD might actually be- it'll probably show up someday though...

Thought of this to name JD- "Robert Quinn Harbor-Doe", combination of all the names that we all came up with to replace "John Doe"- but if we do use it, don't pass it on to anyone else who might also have a message board post about this case on a forum other than this one... thank you...

Does the Grays Harbor Sheriff's Department have an e-mail address to go along with that phone number?

I wanted to ask them perhaps a few questions about John Doe and their investigation...

outofthedark said:
. Was he depressed? Did he go through a breakup? Did he lose a loved one?
The fact that he gave another hotel's address as his own and used an alias gives me feeling that he didn't want anyone to know about him...

I think the two things fit very well together. I know I'm reaching, but it kind of seems like something that could have happened after a breakup. Maybe his relationship/marriage ended, and he went far away and did this. She'd never have an answer of what happened to him, and she'd always wonder. To some people, that would make perfect sense. Kind of a "look what I did because of you."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semh