May Day Boycott Effects??

spclk

Reaction score
I am curious if anyone has noticed any effects from the Immigrant Boycott today? I work in staffing and all but 2 of our over 500 employees are at work today. We hire lots of hispanics, and they are all working. No noticable effects in my community today.

spclk said:
I am curious if anyone has noticed any effects from the Immigrant Boycott today? I work in staffing and all but 2 of our over 500 employees are at work today. We hire lots of hispanics, and they are all working. No noticable effects in my community today.
The stock market doesn't seem to be effected so far, either. These things seldom work, lol.

I noticed a few of the smaller shops as well as 2 car washes in my area that were closed today. Also, there are a large group (40-60) of hispanics that mill around a specific parking lot looking for day labor jobs. This morning there were about 15 in the parking lot. Other than that, I understand the there are a couple of large rallies planned for later this afternoon in downtown Los Angeles so things my change as the day moves on.

Nothing I've seen - which by this article, is really too bad: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/05/01/opinion/main1564515.shtml

But if illegal aliens all took the day off and were truly invisible for one day...

Hospital emergency rooms across the southwest would have about 20-percent fewer patients...

OBGYN wards in Denver would have 24-percent fewer deliveries and Los Angeles’s maternity-ward deliveries would drop by 40 percent and maternity billings to Medi-Cal would drop by 66 percent.

Youth gangs would see their membership drop by 50 percent in many states, and in Phoenix, child-molestation cases would drop by 34 percent and auto theft by 40 percent.
Colorado taxpayers would save almost $3,000,000 in one day if illegals do not access any public services... Colorado’s K-12 school classrooms would have 131,000 fewer students if illegal aliens and the children of illegals were to stay home...Colorado’s jails and prisons would have 10-percent fewer inmates, and Denver and many other towns would not need to build so many new jails to accommodate the overcrowding.

On a Day Without an Illegal Immigrant, thousands of workers and small contractors in the construction industry across Colorado would have their jobs back, the jobs given to illegal workers because they work for lower wages and no benefits.

Here's my post from another thread on the topic:

My office is by a location where the day laborers hang out and hope for work. When I walked by this morning the illegals were out in the same numbers as usual looking for work. The strawberry fields were empty, but they often are, so I'm not sure if that has been impacted or not.

I live in a highly hispanic area..so I'll be curious to see what happens. Hopefully lots of the immigrants around here will just go to the big afternoon rally , which is scheduled for after work.

From what I can tell around here (southern midwest) is no changes affecting us so far. The only thing is my daughter was interviewed at the mall and asked how she felt about it.

Here's another effect:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/01/dobbs.immigrantprotests/index.html
...Many meat-packing companies like Cargill and Tyson are also closing many of their plants.
"The meat packers are confirming what we know," says University of Maryland economics professor Peter Morici, "and that is that this large group of illegal aliens in the United States is lowering the wage rate of semiskilled workers, people who are high school dropouts or high school graduates with minimal training."

In fact, a meat-packing job paid $19 an hour in 1980, but today that same job pays closer to $9 an hour, according to the Labor Department. That's entirely consistent with what we've been reporting -- that illegal aliens depress wages for U.S. workers by as much as $200 billion a year in addition to placing a tremendous burden on hospitals, schools and other social services.

Our local newsradio is having minute by minute coverage.

Traffic is light.
Not many day laborers at the Home Depot
Farmers Market in LA is closed, which rippled to restaurants closing.

That's about it.

Rally's are orderly.

In northeast Georgia, stores are packed with all nationalities (trying to make up for the "boycott"). I actually had to wait three deep in line to check out--this is highly unusual.
The local Mexican restaurant has a LARGE sign out front proclaiming: "WE ARE OPEN TODAY!"
A total of four Mexican students were absent from school today--totally AVERAGE!

Here, just 100 miles from the Border, lots of restaurants are closed. Some of the restaurants that are open are serving reduced menus.

ETA: just to be clear, there is a visible effect, but nothing life-threatening. Sort of what you want from a piece of theater.

Here in San Diego I haven't noticed much other than lighter traffic. Here in our office complex there are many Hispanic employees (including myself!) and everyone has been hard at work today. :D

In my city, the Walmart parking lot was packed today, much like it is around the holidays. I'd say they used the day to go shopping, which pretty much goes against their desired motive of not spending money today.

The South Bay Area of the San Francisco Bay Area: traffic was very noticeably lighter and it took a minute for this to register as to the cause, and this is on the Westside of the Bay. On the eastside of the Bay is where all of the Mexicans live. I can only imagine what it must be like over there today.

I enjoyed driving through our small community today (70,000 pop.).

We apparently have a lot of Mexicans working over here everyday.

Dark Knight said:
The AP seems to think it was pretty devastating. Of course, when you seek out specific instances, it would seem that way, lol:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060501/ap_on_bi_ge/immigration_business_3
HI DK!

Not too bad in my area:
O.C. stays calm on day of rallies

What has been termed the "Great American Boycott 2006" proceeded without major disruptions today. High schools have been quiet; a rumored walkout didn't happen.

Everything was calm in the morning hours on the day of immigrant boycotts.

Police departments around the county have reported no major activity for what has been termed the "Great American Boycott 2006." High schools also have been quiet.

More Santa Ana Unified School District teachers and other employees did not show up for work than usual, said Susan Brandt, the district's interim public information officer. But student attendance figures remained normal.

A rumored walkout at 10 this morning in Santa Ana schools never happened. Brandt attributed this to measures the district took to encourage students to go to school.
http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/homepage/abox/article_1125372.php

JBean said:
More Santa Ana Unified School District teachers and other employees did not show up for work than usual, said Susan Brandt, the district's interim public information officer. But student attendance figures remained normal.

A rumored walkout at 10 this morning in Santa Ana schools never happened. Brandt attributed this to measures the district took to encourage students to go to school.
http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/homepage/abox/article_1125372.php
My son is a junior in high school in the Santa Ana school district. He came home and I asked him if anything was different at school today. He said no, in fact, he totally forgot this was the day of the walkout.

I enjoyed the lighter traffic.....

mesnowmom123 said:
My son is a junior in high school in the Santa Ana school district. He came home and I asked him if anything was different at school today. He said no, in fact, he totally forgot this was the day of the walkout.

I enjoyed the lighter traffic.....
This is what I am hearing mesnowmom. Santa Ana was the most active too!
The traffic was noticeably lighter everywhere!

JBean said:
This is what I am hearing mesnowmom. Santa Ana was the most active too!
The traffic was noticeably lighter everywhere!
Maybe my son was too distracted with his classes and various school activities to notice? (A parent can only hope!) :D

mesnowmom123 said:
Maybe my son was too distracted with his classes and various school activities to notice? (A parent can only hope!) :D
hahaha no I meant there wasn't too much going outside of the rally's, with the most activity being in Santa Ana. So, if your child didn't notice much it's because ther probably wasn't much to notice!
AND he was too busy getting his homework done so he could help you around the house:p

Very quiet in Atlanta. The day laborers were still at their posts.We had a shortage at the property I am working on but they haven't been there in days. Mostly, I think that notices were given (condo conversion) and they are apartment hunting. Or headed back to Mexico as there are a lot of illegals.

All I have been doing lately is getting kudos from homeowner associations. They want the change....although I am on deaths bed...we will succeed. It is looking so good. The grass is really getting green.It is seeing something change from so ugly and nasty to something I want to buy.I actually think I am doing a good thing for tons of people. And most under 200,000. It makes me and others get something that is nice. Granite counter tops and undermount sinks....I dream of this stuff. Sorry, I have been poor for so long that just a thought of something cute does it for me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back