NY NY - Martin Crumblish, 17, Dobbs Ferry, 3 May 1981

Richard

Reaction score
25 Years Ago...

-------------------------------------------------
Martin Crumblish
Missing since May 3, 1981 from Dobbs Ferry, Westchester County, New York.
Classification: Endangered Missing
Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: January 7, 1964
Age at Time of Disappearance: 17 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'0" (183 cm); 165 lbs (75 kg)
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Blue eyes; blonde hair.
Marks, Scars: Slight cleft in his chin.
AKA: J.R.
Dentals: He has a gap between his upper front two teeth.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Crumblish was last seen around 11 p.m. on May 3, 1981. Nearly all the leads in this case suggested that Crumblish had been killed shortly after a woods party near Ardsley Country Club. Detectives have publicly ruled out any other explanation for why Crumblish vanished that night.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Dobbs Ferry Village Police Department 914-693-5500

NCIC Number: M-082561435
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
The Doe Network: Case File 1359DMNY

Link:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1359dmny.html

I would just like to bring Martin back into the spotlight...it has been about 26 years since his disappearance and there are hardly any updates...
Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. ♥

Martin Crumblish Jr.

crumblish_martin.jpg

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: May 3, 1981 from Dobbs Ferry, New York
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: January 7, 1964
Height and Weight: 6'0, 165 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian male. Blond hair, blue/green eyes. Crumblish has a slight cleft on his chin and a gap between his upper two teeth. His nickname is J. R. His hair was long at the time of his disappearance.
Medical Conditions: Crumblish has a history of substance abuse.

Details of Disappearance
Crumblish in Dobbs Ferry, New York on May 3, 1981. He had attended a party that evening at a popular clearing known as The View. At 11:00 p.m., he walked a female friend home and then returned to the party. Crumblish left the party again at about midnight and headed for a friend's house. It is unclear what happened to him afterward; he has never been heard from again. There has been no activity on Crumblish's Social Security Number (SSN) since his disappearance. He left behind his wallet, Social Security card, and other personal items when he vanished. Investigators are uncertain what happened to Crumblish. He was spending the night with a friend in Dobbs Ferry because he had to take the SAT exam in that town early the next morning. Crumblish was a junior at Dobbs Ferry High School in 1981. He is described as a sensitive, artistic person who enjoyed writing poetry. Crumblish's loved ones do not believe he ran away; he was excited about a new job and would not have left it, and if he had, he would have contacted his family eventually. His case is being investigated as a missing persons case rather than a crime.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Dobbs Ferry Village Police Department
914-693-5500

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/crumblish_martin.html

Where is this clearing? When I look to see where the town is, I see that it is on the Hudson River. Is it possible that he ended up in the river (accidentally or otherwise)? Just trying to get a sense of the terrain.

It's possible that he drowned, since it was late at night that he disappeared, but the authorities don't seem to think so..
The first case description says that he may have been "killed" - they dont say how they think it happened..
He had a history of substance abuse...I don't know if that had anything to do with it..but the thought crossed my mind..

Hi, I am new to Websleuths. I am posting in response to JR Crumblish. I have lived in Dobbs Ferry the majority of my life (I am 40 years old). Dobbs Ferry is a town of about 10,000, 20 min north of Manhattan, in Westchester Co.NY. It is a small town, with a typical small town mentality. JR, is/was not much old than I, I was in Middle School, when he disappeared. I never recall hearing anything about him missing, and Dobbs Ferry is the type of place where everyone knows everyones business. I am familiar with "The View" whereJR attended the party the night he disappeared. It borders Ardsley Country Club,and the golf course. However, there are homes located very close by to this clearing in the woods. It is not that isolated. As far as the theory here that perhaps he drowned in the Hudson, possible, because the waterfront is another hang out of local kids, known to party, however, I truly believe the body would have surfaced somewhere, sometime. If some one knows something about foul play, they are really keeping tight lipped about this because I have never heard any rumors or anything, and Dobbs Ferry, being small town like it is, loves circulating its rumors.

A tip led to a massive day-long dig in the woods this week, but no sign of Martin was found.

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/crime/2014/06/11/greenburgh-police-probe-cold-case-excavate-wooded-plot/10338389/

Meanwhile, Martin Crumblish, a former football and basketball player at Dobbs Ferry High School, remains missing. He vanished the night of May 2, 1981, after he left a friend's house in the village, planning to visit his girlfriend. Earlier that day, the teen attended a party on the Juhring Estate that borders the Ardsley Country Club golf course. Since 2002, the case has been treated as a homicide, even though no body has been found.

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/crime/2014/11/04/martin-crumblish-missing-case-crime-scene/18484563/

Earlier this year, acting on a tip from a resident who had noticed a large depression in woods nearby, Greenburgh police excavated a 10-by-12-foot plot in the woods north of Dobbs Ferry Road, dividing it up into grids and methodically digging each section to a depth of 5 feet using only shovels and hand tools. The excavation took the entire day June 11 but only uncovered rubbish, including remnants of a flower pot and Budweiser beer bottle along with large rocks and hard clay.

While investigators found no evidence of value, police said they were hopeful the excavation would encourage others with clues on what happened to Crumblish to contact authorities. So far that hasn't happened.

IMAGE_ALT

Center: Age Progressed to 48 years (circa 2012); Right: Age Progressed to 55 years (circa 2019)

Name: Martin Crumblish
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: May 3, 1981
Location Last Seen: Dobbs Ferry, Westchester County, New York

LINK:

Details of Disappearance​

Martin in Dobbs Ferry, New York on May 3, 1981. He had attended a party that evening near the Hudson River, at a popular clearing known as The View. At 11:00 p.m., he walked a female friend home and then returned to the party.

Martin left the party again at about midnight and headed for a friend's house on Myrtle Avenue. It is unclear what happened to him afterward; he has never been heard from again. His wallet, containing his identification and other personal items, was left near where he was last seen.

Martin was spending the night with a friend in Dobbs Ferry because he had to take the SAT exam there. He was a junior at Dobbs Ferry High School in 1981. He is described as a sensitive, artistic person who enjoyed writing poetry. He was popular with his peers and was on the school football and basketball teams.

Martin's loved ones do not believe he ran away; they stated he was excited about a new job and would not have left it, and if he had, he would have contacted his family eventually. There has been no activity on his Social Security number since his disappearance.

In 2002, over twenty years after Martin's disappearance, his case was reclassified from a missing person to a probable homicide. He was having some problems with some local youths at the time of his disappearance, and authorities believe he got in a fight and was killed, perhaps accidentally, shortly after he was last seen. They've conducted several searches for his body in the area but turned up nothing.

Both of Martin's parents are still alive; his father lives in California and his mother in upstate New York. They continue to hope for resolution in his case, which remains unsolved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back