Mom-to-be at 63

Floh

Former Member
Reaction score
I don't think this is right - the mother won't be around for a great deal of the child's life and i feel it's incredibly selfish to do - but that's just me:

Doctor defends IVF for woman, 63

A controversial fertility doctor has defended his decision to give IVF to a 63-year-old woman who is set to become Britain's oldest mother.

http://tinyurl.com/mwboh

Just sad.

Ultimately the burden to raise this child will be placed on others.

I have to agree. She hasn't been trying all these years to get pregnant, she's got three other kids. However, my best friend just took her 96 year old aunt out for a Mexican food dinner for her birthday, so who knows. She may live until the baby is almost in her 30s. I was younger than that when my parents passed away. Its tough to go through, but none of us is guaranteed to live until our children are ready for us to go.

BrendaStar said:
And she's a child psychiatrist to boot, so she should know better.

You couldn't make it up as a story, could you?

People are living much longer than they use to. I can't say that this is wrong because she may live to be 100. She sure doesn't look 63.

Valinda said:
People are living much longer than they use to. I can't say that this is wrong because she may live to be 100. She sure doesn't look 63.

Yes, she does look remarkably good indeed! did you see the video (link on the same page, under the picture of her and her Dr). 63? fairly amazing, i'd say, but still too old, IMO.

She could still have a stroke or a heart attack in labor--something that happens even to younger mothers.

She looks great for her age.....but she must be crazy! It makes no sense to me.

There is no guarantee how long we'll all be here, but to seal the deal is just selfish IMO. Being a psychiatrist and all you'd think adopting an older child would be a better alternative (I understand these older kids can have issues.....she would be one who could help!) I think the whole things sick actually. I would hate growing up knowing 100% certain that my parents would more than likely never know my children....at least not for long anyway.

It's amazing how men don't get criticized nearly as much for becoming fathers at older ages. It's rarely even in the news unless it's a celebrity. Many of these men are much older than 63.

I am not going to bad mouth her - what is done is done. I just hope she is around to watch her child grow up...

I'm 34 years old with a highly active 4 year old (plus a 13 yo and 8 yo) and I am exausted. I wish her luck but I do feel 63 is too old to have a child. I personally couldn't imagine being pregnant past 40.

Valinda said:
It's amazing how men don't get criticized nearly as much for becoming fathers at older ages. It's rarely even in the news unless it's a celebrity. Many of these men are much older than 63.
There's a difference between getting someone pregnant and becoming pregnant at that age. Men traditionally don't have much say in the matter, and women are usually the majority caregiver of a child, regardless of her age. It boils down to intent.

Men traditionally don't have much say in the matter, and women are usually the majority caregiver of a child, regardless of her age. It boils down to intent.
Some older people getting pregnant is probably truly unplanned-- I always got that sense from David Letterman when his longtime girlfriend became pregnant-- but most older men who have kids want them and plan them. You can't hold only the women responsible. Kenny Rogers had twin boys when he was 66 (!) so he could give his second younger wife the chance to be a mom. Tony Randall from The Odd Couple had his first kid when he was 77 and his second (!) at 78. So now both his children have lost his dad because he died at the old age of 84. There are lots of other examples-- Anthony Quinn, James Doohan. I don't know if those were the right decisions-- only their families do-- but men are just as responsible as women in most cases, and they typically die before women do at any rate.

I hope Washbrook has a complication free delivery & a healthy baby.

Is she outta her mind?!!!! :D J/K, I'm 41 and I couldn't imagine a little one right now! :eek:

SadieJane said:
Some older people getting pregnant is probably truly unplanned-- I always got that sense from David Letterman when his longtime girlfriend became pregnant-- but most older men who have kids want them and plan them. You can't hold only the women responsible. Kenny Rogers had twin boys when he was 66 (!) so he could give his second younger wife the chance to be a mom. Tony Randall from The Odd Couple had his first kid when he was 77 and his second (!) at 78. So now both his children have lost his dad because he died at the old age of 84. There are lots of other examples-- Anthony Quinn, James Doohan. I don't know if those were the right decisions-- only their families do-- but men are just as responsible as women in most cases, and they typically die before women do at any rate.

I hope Washbrook has a complication free delivery & a healthy baby.
I doubt those men had the idea first, though.
It takes two to tango in these situations, and I supect some younger women with older husbands want to make sure their claim to the inheritance is well-staked when their hubbies die before them. I doubt Anna Nicole Smith would have spent all this time in court if she'd had a child my her ocotogenarian husband, for example.
I think Charlie Chaplin was dead (if not dug up and held for ransom) by the time his last child was born, if memory serves.

I wish her well but she has to be outta her ever loving mind! :doh:

I'm 61 yrs and I can't imagine raising another baby. My patience isn't what it used to be and I couldn't see me running after a two year old or taking a child to different sports/activities he/she would be involved in from the time it is about 5-6 years old. It would wear me out. There are so many things I can't imagine doing all over again. It wouldn't be so bad when the baby was a baby but the work starts once it learns to walk. This couple can no doubt afford a nanny to help. I wonder if they even thought how the child might feel when mom and dad come to school functions and the other kids say "how come your grandma and grandpa are here instead of your mom and dad?" I wonder why they decided to have a baby at this late age? What if she has 4 or 5 babies because of the fertility medication :banghead:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back