Woman delivers 14 pound premature baby!

same thing happened to my baby sister's baby girl, due largely to my sister developing gestational diabetes.

I was a labor and Delivery nurse for 10 years. I had a 16 yo girl once deliver a 15lb 6oz baby the natural way. You wanna talk about big. No one had a clue that this baby was so big.

I'm no expert here, so forgive the question, but wouldn't this woman have had to have eaten quite a bit for the baby to get so big. Especially since they said after birth the baby didn't gain as much weight as most newborns do???

Usually the excess eating adds weight to the mother rather than the baby and the mom is left with the excess weight to lose after giving birth. I wonder if this woman did have gestational diabetes during the pregnancy.

SewingDeb said:
Usually the excess eating adds weight to the mother rather than the baby and the mom is left with the excess weight to lose after giving birth. I wonder if this woman did have gestational diabetes during the pregnancy.

I think the baby does get some of that nutrition/food as well. That's why its unhealthy to gain under a certain amount of weight. I'd like to hear how much weight she gained during her pregnancy.

Wow!!! :eek:
That is one big baby !!
Mine have been 6lbs, 7lbs and 8lbs... I am guessing this one will go about 9lbs - and THAT scares me.... but 14 ??????????????????????????? OUCH

lisag said:
Wow!!! :eek:
That is one big baby !!
Mine have been 6lbs, 7lbs and 8lbs... I am guessing this one will go about 9lbs - and THAT scares me.... but 14 ??????????????????????????? OUCH

Yup, they say generally that each baby weighs a little more than the last, on average. My first daughter was 6-11, and then my son was 8-1....my third baby, my 2nd daughter, was 7 lbs. even, but she was 3 weeks early...dr. said she would have been over 9 lbs, probably, had I carried all the way to 40 weeks.

englishleigh said:
Yup, they say generally that each baby weighs a little more than the last, on average. My first daughter was 6-11, and then my son was 8-1....my third baby, my 2nd daughter, was 7 lbs. even, but she was 3 weeks early...dr. said she would have been over 9 lbs, probably, had I carried all the way to 40 weeks.

Mine were

8 pounds

10 pounds; 10 ounces

and

7 1/2 pounds

I'M DONE!!!

Jeana (DP) said:
I'm no expert here, so forgive the question, but wouldn't this woman have had to have eaten quite a bit for the baby to get so big. Especially since they said after birth the baby didn't gain as much weight as most newborns do???
Genetics also has something to do with it.
My sister had gestational diabetes. Her baby was 10 lbs and delivered 2 weeks early because she (the baby) had gained 3 pounds in 2 weeks. One of the baby's maternal great-grandfathers stood 6',9". Her paternal granfather stands 6'5". That clearly had something to do with the child's size as well.
She turned 4 last year and could easily pass for a 1st grader in terms of height.

BillyGoatGruff said:
Genetics also has something to do with it.
My sister had gestational diabetes. Her baby was 10 lbs and delivered 2 weeks early because she (the baby) had gained 3 pounds in 2 weeks. One of the baby's maternal great-grandfathers stood 6',9". Her paternal granfather stands 6'5". That clearly had something to do with the child's size as well.
She turned 4 last year and could easily pass for a 1st grader in terms of height.

Interesting . . . Thanks!!!!

My three kids were 8 lbs. (boy), 6 lbs. 8 oz. (girl), and 6 lbs. 11 oz (boy), respectively. So, my first weighed the most! BUT - I did have borderline gestational diabetes with him (not the others) and the doc said that was probably the reason! He was also a week and a half early and the others came on their due dates! He's still the biggest - 19, in college and 6'1"

Also, my middle child and only daughter was my only vaginal birth, the boys were c-sections, and she loves to tell people, "I was the only one born 'normal' !" She usually gets a big laugh out of it, too.

Eve

My kids were

7lbs 1 ounce

7lbs 11 ounces

Those 10 little ounces sure made a difference in how sore I was.

14 lbs, I would have ripped apart.

mine were 6.3 7.8 7.3 7.4

The 7.8 was preemie so he would have been a 9-10 pounder according to he Dr.

eve said:
My three kids were 8 lbs. (boy), 6 lbs. 8 oz. (girl), and 6 lbs. 11 oz (boy), respectively. So, my first weighed the most! BUT - I did have borderline gestational diabetes with him (not the others) and the doc said that was probably the reason! He was also a week and a half early and the others came on their due dates! He's still the biggest - 19, in college and 6'1"

Also, my middle child and only daughter was my only vaginal birth, the boys were c-sections, and she loves to tell people, "I was the only one born 'normal' !" She usually gets a big laugh out of it, too.

Eve

Eve, that's a cute story. :)

sleuthin4fun said:
I was a labor and Delivery nurse for 10 years. I had a 16 yo girl once deliver a 15lb 6oz baby the natural way. You wanna talk about big. No one had a clue that this baby was so big.

Wow. I can't imagine that! I had my first at 16 also but he was "only" 8lb,5oz.

I once read a book written by a labor and delivery nurse and it was very interesting. There were happy stories and some heart-breaking ones. From what she wrote, your job can be very hard yet very rewarding.

I think the baby just takes whatever nutritian it needs and weighs accordingly.
My
#1 weighed 6/13 and I only gained 20 lbs---48hr labor :doh:
#2 weighed 6/15 and I gained 40 lbs---18hr labor
#3 weighed 7/06 and I gained 40 lbs---18hr labor
#4 weighed 8/04 and I gained 40 lbs---7 hr labor ;)

The difference is within two weeks with #1, no one would believe I'd just had a baby.

With the other three, I had to wear materinty clothes for another month or so after I got home. I still looked, by some standards, 7 months pregnant. Of course I'm not quite 5'1" so an extra 25 lbs shows. BIG TIME!!!!! :( But it was worth it!! Especially now that the youngest is 18. :)

fran

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back2theGardenAgain
Back