GUILTY TN - Nathaniel Upshaw, 5, beaten to death, Chattanooga, 6 Jan 2003

I guess it's a good thing I'm not a judge. I can think of many names to call him but scum is too nice a word. This is horrid! That sorry s..s..s...scum.

This is just disgusting. Some people really do not deserve to live, IMO. Whoops, guess that is a remark for the death penalty thread. Scum is too good a word for this....whatever he is.

The judge was wrong to show any thing less then impartialness during a trial in front of a jury.

I have to agree with amra. it is a judge's job to be impartial in the court, regardless of his personal feelings toward the defendant.

i agree with his opinion, however. nasty piece of work, that one.

It takes some kind of special person to be able to do that job. Heck ... I get mad if someone butts in line at McDonalds and am likely to tell them that they need to wait their turn like the rest of us... can't imagine what would happen if i was a judge. Heck, in high school I only made it as a waitress for 2 days.
innocent1.gif

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_30969.asp

"The investigation revealed that Nathaniel had been sexually assaulted in an especially brutal manner, officials said.

Mr. Buice declined to give details of the torture and beatings. ...................................

Mr. Buice said that during the course of the investigation into the torture and beating, detectives learned of another incident that took place over the weekend, for which additional charges have been filed.

The earlier incident took place on Saturday at the downtown YMCA where Hilt is an employee.

The investigation revealed that he took Upshaw’s three children to the Y at about 10 p.m. Saturday and stayed with them there until about 2a.m. Sunday morning.

A charge of attempted murder has been placed against Hilt in connection with that visit.

As explained in the arrest warrant, Hilt repeatedly held Nathaniel under the water. At one point Hilt had to perform CPR on Nathaniel to revive him, it is charged.
Although his mother learned of his injuries Monday evening, the youngster was left without medical attention until Tuesday morning, Mr. Buice said. When she called 911 Tuesday morning, Nathaniel’s mother claimed he had fallen out of bed.

A brain scan Tuesday afternoon revealed zero brain activity, and after a second scan earlier today, Nathaniel was declared brain dead. He was taken off life support Wednesday afternoon. "
snip

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_31536.asp
Nicholas Hilt beat 5-year-old Nathaniel Upshaw and repeatedly slammed him against a wall on the night of Jan. 6, a police report says.

The report says Hilt has made a taped confession to the brutal assault.

The report also says the young boy was sexually assaulted. It says he had anal tearing and a cut to the penis.

The report says Nathaniel Upshaw died of "massive internal injuries and head trauma."

He was brought to a hospital the next morning, but was unconscious until he died.
snip

What kind of freak travels around town abusing a child? The poor child and the other two kids were also taken to a cemetery where the kids said they were kept separate then rejoined Nathaniel who was on the ground with his pants around his ankles.
A neighbor [duplex I think] heard what turned out to be Nathaniel being thrown against the wall all night but never called the police.
Most details have not been released but from what we know I can see how the judge was unable to keep his opinion to himself.

What this scum bag did is disgusting..

However, the Judge has the obligation to make sure he has a fair trial..
if for NO other reason then to make sure that a mistrial or an appeal doesn't set him free.

At the trial stage it needs to be presumed that this man is innocent and evidence needs to prove otherwise..
I almost think a judge making these statements was on purpose.

Amraann said:
What this scum bag did is disgusting..

However, the Judge has the obligation to make sure he has a fair trial..
if for NO other reason then to make sure that a mistrial or an appeal doesn't set him free.

At the trial stage it needs to be presumed that this man is innocent and evidence needs to prove otherwise..
I almost think a judge making these statements was on purpose.
I think the judge was just sick to look at him and knew he couldn't take it with this excuse for a human.
The electric chair is where he should be sitting and watching the fireworks.

In this article it sounds more like the antics of Hilt led to the dismissal of the jury. He has created a scene everytime he has been in court. Video at the link.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/news/index.cfm?sid=1296

Nicholas Hilt is accused of raping and murdering his girlfriend's five year old son. His trial was set to begin today but that's now on hold. It was quite a show. Judge Doug Meyer told Hilt all he was doing was making an exhibit for the media. Judge Meyer set a new date and assigned a new judge right after Hilt disrupted court.

Hilt screams.

For the second day in a row, sheriff's deputies used an electric current to subdue Nicholas Hilt. Hilt's murder trial was slated to begin but prosecutors asked the case be moved to another division.

Judge Doug Meyer "we're not going to try this case because the defendant acted up as most of you are aware."

Meyer explained to the jury they'll be dismissed.... he also asked if they could have still heard the case without bias after everything they'd seen...

Meyer says "I was curious; I didn't ask I thought I wouldn't be told."
snip

Being a judge is a tough job, and I sure agree with his opinion - but as a judge, he shouldn't have said it until after sentence was provided by the jury. Actually, he shouldn't have said it period....

I mean, "scum of the earth"? This guy is worse than that! I thought judges were a bit more educated than that. "Lower and more worthless than the maloderous stew in the most polluted hog wallow" - how about something more like that?

Any chance they can accidentally sentence him to life, in general population, with the details of his crime printed on his back, and no protection?

I know the judge shouldn't have said anything. But I also know that a judge is human...and to sit up there day by day and listen/witness to this creep's antics...So yes, I know he shouldn't have said it but I do so admire him for doing it.

There should be no admiration IMO..

What this judge was hired to do was make sure trials go about legally..
Make sure all the T's are crossed.
His carelessness could have led to this guy being set free.

From his perspective until a jury comes back with a guilty verdict he is not listening to a guilty person.
If he felt otherwise then he should not be the one doing this job..

TaylorJ4 said:
I have to say I agree witht he judge in this case, this crime was especially heinous:

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_85540.asp

A murder case has been switched to another judge after Criminal Court Judge Doug Meyer called the defendant "the scum of the earth" and said he "deserves the death penalty."
"Scum of the earth " is way too polite a term to be used for this scum of the earth . :silenced:

D*mn, D*mn, D*mn eejut judge!

if he'd just kept stum he could have remained there - new jury and all - until certain sentencing after this 'scum of the earth' could face his future in jail (forever, hopefully).

because we certainly know the sentencing would not have been lenient.

what an unbelievably awful and horrific person Nicholas Hilt is! :behindbar :behindbar :behindbar

Amraann said:
The judge was wrong to show any thing less then impartialness during a trial in front of a jury.
I agree with you but I can't blame the judge. He is only human and obviously let his feelings get the better of him and I might not have been able to be fair and impartial either.

you must blame the judge.

if he cannot enact a fair trial?

The trial hadn't started yet. If he had said it during the trial it might have hurt the case. But, that's why a new one was put in his place. To make sure it didn't happen during the trial and taking a chance on having the trial dismissed.

He watched this guy come in day after day and do an act. He was in good enough shape to have a job and take the kids places (and torture them) and no doubt didn't act that way then. I'm sure the judge regretted that he let himself say it but he knew this scum was acting. I don't blame him either.

dale46 said:
I think the judge was just sick to look at him and knew he couldn't take it with this excuse for a human.
The electric chair is where he should be sitting and watching the fireworks.
I disagree dale46...that scum needs to be tortured just like he did to that poor small child. The electric chair is way too good for that piece of dirt.

deandaniellws said:
I disagree dale46...that scum needs to be tortured just like he did to that poor small child. The electric chair is way too good for that piece of dirt.

Apart from retribution, what use would that be?

that's the problem i have with violence against violence.

i'm not saying i don't feel that's what i'd like to happen. i'm saying where does that leave us as to what we would like to believe us as civilised -- and this isn't a cop against you, deandaniellws, it's, in fact, questioning MY first thoughts.

believe me, i have initial feelings of wanting this . . . monster . . . hung, drawn and quartered. slowly.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back