Woman, 74, Gets Revenge on Gator With Hose

dark_shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP) -- An elderly woman, who was bitten by an alligator while working in her backyard, beat back the reptile with a garden hose.
Constance Gittles, 74, of south Punta Gorda was watering plants Tuesday when a nearly 6-foot-long alligator bit her leg just above the ankle.
"I just whacked him right in the snout with the nozzle," she said. "After that, he took off," Gittles told the News-Press of Fort Myers.

Here is the rest of the story

Article published May 11, 2006

Police to determine if Davie woman died from alligator attack

The Associated Press
Authorities were trying to determine if a woman whose body was found in canal was killed by an alligator.

The dismembered body of Yovy Suarez Jimenez, 28, of Davie, was found Wednesday by construction workers. Jimenez went for a jog Tuesday night and did not return.

"We have witnesses and we have physical evidence to support our theory that the young lady was dragged into the water and attacked," said Officer Jorge Pino, spokesman for the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission. "But, that's a theory. We may never know. The possibility also exists that she might have fallen in."

Witnesses reported seeing a woman matching Jimenez's description dangling her feet over the water's edge, but no one saw an attack, Pino said.

An autopsy will determine if Jimenez died from drowning or injuries received from an attack by an alligator.

The animal, believed to be eight to 10-feet long, will be caught and destroyed and the contents of its stomach will be examined, Pino said.

There have been 25 fatal alligator attacks in Florida since 1948, according to the wildlife commission.

http://www.newscoast.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060511/APN/605110617

My goodness, how sad for this young woman. Gators normally prey on small animals and sometimes will attack a human if they encounter them in the water. Very unusual that this young lady was attacked on land and drug into the water.

I know that I would never have been dangling my feet in the water. I had to many encounters with gators in Florida waters to ever to that.

It should be pointed out that Gators would not be aggressive like this if their habitat wasn't being over run by condo's after already being damaged by 5+ hurricanes in two years...

RiverRat said:
Article published May 11, 2006

Police to determine if Davie woman died from alligator attack

The Associated Press
Authorities were trying to determine if a woman whose body was found in canal was killed by an alligator.

The dismembered body of Yovy Suarez Jimenez, 28, of Davie, was found Wednesday by construction workers. Jimenez went for a jog Tuesday night and did not return.

"We have witnesses and we have physical evidence to support our theory that the young lady was dragged into the water and attacked," said Officer Jorge Pino, spokesman for the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission. "But, that's a theory. We may never know. The possibility also exists that she might have fallen in."

Witnesses reported seeing a woman matching Jimenez's description dangling her feet over the water's edge, but no one saw an attack, Pino said.

An autopsy will determine if Jimenez died from drowning or injuries received from an attack by an alligator.

The animal, believed to be eight to 10-feet long, will be caught and destroyed and the contents of its stomach will be examined, Pino said.

There have been 25 fatal alligator attacks in Florida since 1948, according to the wildlife commission.

http://www.newscoast.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060511/APN/605110617

It has been determined that the woman was dismembered by an 8-10 foot alligator.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/11/alligator.attack.reut/index.html

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288