2nd Fatal FL Alligator Attack

Liz

I am not a chemist and this is not my 1st rodeo
Reaction score
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/05/14/national/main1616650.shtml

Authorities Investigating If 3rd Woman Found Dead Also Alligator Victim
SALT SPRINGS, Florida, May 14, 2006

Fast Fact
There have been 18 confirmed fatal alligator attacks in Florida since 1948, not counting either of Sunday's incidents.

(AP)*An alligator fatally attacked a woman in the second deadly gator attack in Florida in a week.

Authorities also were investigating whether a third woman found dead in another part of the state was also the victim of an alligator.

The woman killed Sunday had been staying at a secluded cabin near a springhead that feeds into Lake George, said Marion County Fire-Rescue Capt. Joe Amigliore. The area is in northern Florida, about 40 miles southeast of Gainesville.

--> more at link

ETA article and link:

2 more fatal Fla. gator attacks reported

Sunday, May 14, 2006 · Last updated 8:57 p.m. PT
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1110AP_Alligator_Attacks.html

By JENNIFER KAY
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

MIAMI -- The bodies of two women, both apparently killed by alligators, were found Sunday less than a week after a similar death in a state that had seen just 17 confirmed fatal attacks by the animals in the previous 58 years.

<snip>

"The people she was staying with came around and found her inside the gator's mouth," Amigliore said. "They jumped into the water and somehow pulled her out of the gator's mouth."

(23 year old) Annemarie Campbell, of Paris, Tenn., was pronounced dead at the scene. Her stepfather, who had tried to help her, was treated on the scene for a hand injury, said Amigliore.

In Pinellas County, the death of another woman whose body was found early Sunday in a canal 20 miles north of St. Petersburg also was blamed on an alligator, authorities said.

Judy W. Cooper's body had been in the water for about three days, authorities said.

-->more at link

Three women so far lately. Are the gators coming up on land to grab these women? It's like something out of a horror movie. Just the thought of what these women went through and the terror they must have felt makes me feel sick.

What a cover for a murder. Kill someone and throw them close to the gators and no one could ever prove it was murder.

In Judy Cooper's death it seems there is a cloud of suspicion that they weren't sure about her condition before the animal bites.

In any case,what a horrible experience.

I'm seeing reports that there have been, in fact, 3 fatal attacks in the past week or so in Florida. One was some guy snorkling in a lake, if I remember right. I will see if I can find some links.

Dark Knight said:
I'm seeing reports that there have been, in fact, 3 fatal attacks in the past week or so in Florida. One was some guy snorkling in a lake, if I remember right. I will see if I can find some links.

Dark, I think it was a 23 year old woman snorkeling. I think all the recent fatalities have been women. I know gators can run shockingly fast and they WILL go after a prey, especially a small human. There is one in a swamp near my brother's in Fl., and they can't let the children go very far away from the house. In fact, they want to move. My bro wants to shoot it (sorry Peta) but of course, gators are a protected species. Sounds like we need protection from them! He can't get the Wildlife Service (or whatever it's called in Fl.) to do anything to help them either. Here in Mn., the DNR will help with wild animals. They will come and live-trap woodchucks, racoons, etc. and release them far from people.

Eve

I think we will pass on Florida, lest we become Gator lunch........

eve said:
Dark, I think it was a 23 year old woman snorkeling. I think all the recent fatalities have been women. I know gators can run shockingly fast and they WILL go after a prey, especially a small human. There is one in a swamp near my brother's in Fl., and they can't let the children go very far away from the house. In fact, they want to move. My bro wants to shoot it (sorry Peta) but of course, gators are a protected species. Sounds like we need protection from them! He can't get the Wildlife Service (or whatever it's called in Fl.) to do anything to help them either. Here in Mn., the DNR will help with wild animals. They will come and live-trap woodchucks, racoons, etc. and release them far from people.

Eve
I live in Florida, and I cannot ( of course i wasnt raised here- perhaps that is the difference) but again-- I cannot imagine getting into a lake, river or pond.....there is no way-----aside from the gators, the snakes.....there is simply no way--- and I believe we need to remember who lives in the water...not us!! The talk often about the services taking "problem" gators from ponds, I am sorry to hear your brother cant get them to help

Must be male Gators. Seems all attacks are on females. :crazy: I loved the article this morning about the lady getting bit watering her garden. Smacked that sucker on the snout and he took off running

eve said:

Eve
Yep, you are right, all 3 are women. And it is gator mating season. I wonder of there is ANY connection between the two? Florida is extending it's alligator hunting season as a result of these attacks. Maybe they can get the one out of the pond posted above?

j2mirish said:
I live in Florida, and I cannot ( of course i wasnt raised here- perhaps that is the difference) but again-- I cannot imagine getting into a lake, river or pond.....there is no way-----aside from the gators, the snakes.....there is simply no way--- and I believe we need to remember who lives in the water...not us!! The talk often about the services taking "problem" gators from ponds, I am sorry to hear your brother cant get them to help

I was raised there, j2. We all knew better than to get into fresh water.

Nova said:
I was raised there, j2. We all knew better than to get into fresh water.

Sixth generation Floridian here that has seen gators bigger than the boat I was riding in - even before hurricane debris hiding in the water was an issue - jumping in the River has always been a DareDevil stunt rather than a relaxing swim!

The severe lack of rain is causing my River to dry up, I'm not sure if one has to do with the other, but the snook fishing has never been better and the gators are more visible. And as far as the attacks and mating season goes........unless the latest victims were arching their back and shaking their tail.......I'd say it was just being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

RiverRat said:
Sixth generation Floridian here that has seen gators bigger than the boat I was riding in - even before hurricane debris hiding in the water was an issue - jumping in the River has always been a DareDevil stunt rather than a relaxing swim!

The severe lack of rain is causing my River to dry up, I'm not sure if one has to do with the other, but the snook fishing has never been better and the gators are more visible. And as far as the attacks and mating season goes........unless the latest victims were arching their back and shaking their tail.......I'd say it was just being at the wrong place at the wrong time.
I get nervous just seeing them sun themselves on the golf courses!!!!
there are some big ones!!!

It is mating season and the females are fiercly protective of their nests.

Putting aside the media sensation ..
Gators do not typically chase after people unprovoked.

Amraann said:
It is mating season and the females are fiercly protective of their nests.

Putting aside the media sensation ..
Gators do not typically chase after people unprovoked.
oh i so agree, that is why i said earlier I cant believe people get in the water, that is where they live!! then you read about people feeding them, etc....
can we say COMMON SENSE?? :croc:

Woman Shoots Gator That Attacks Her Dog

By The Associated Press
2 hours ago

BRADENTON, Fla. - A woman has shot an alligator that came into her home and attacked her dog.

The alligator was only 3 feet long, but Candy Frey wasn't taking any chances. When the reptile came into the lanai of her home east of Bradenton Saturday and attacked her golden retriever, Frey went and got her gun.

After Frey and her daughter managed to push the gator out of the lanai through the dog door, she blasted away at it four times.

"I was running on so much adrenaline," the 48-year-old former U.S. Marine aviation technician told the Sarasota Herald-Tribune. "I just freaked out and shot him _ boom, boom, boom, boom."

A neighbor called deputies and the state sent a wildlife officer to investigate.

The alligator barely bled from gunshots to the neck and shoulder, Frey said, and wildlife officer put it back in the lake.

The deputy gave Frey a warning citation for hunting without a license.

Alligators have been blamed for three fatal attacks in the span of a week in other parts of Florida.

RiverRat said:

By The Associated Press
2 hours ago

BRADENTON, Fla. - A woman has shot an alligator that came into her home and attacked her dog.

The alligator was only 3 feet long, but Candy Frey wasn't taking any chances. When the reptile came into the lanai of her home east of Bradenton Saturday and attacked her golden retriever, Frey went and got her gun.

After Frey and her daughter managed to push the gator out of the lanai through the dog door, she blasted away at it four times.

"I was running on so much adrenaline," the 48-year-old former U.S. Marine aviation technician told the Sarasota Herald-Tribune. "I just freaked out and shot him _ boom, boom, boom, boom."

A neighbor called deputies and the state sent a wildlife officer to investigate.

The alligator barely bled from gunshots to the neck and shoulder, Frey said, and wildlife officer put it back in the lake.

Alligators have been blamed for three fatal attacks in the span of a week in other parts of Florida.
HUNTING??????? who was hunting who here !!! :doh:
dont get me wrong, blasting the gator may not have been the best idea....
but hunting citation!!

j2mirish said:
HUNTING??????? who was hunting who here !!! :doh:
dont get me wrong, blasting the gator may not have been the best idea....
but hunting citation!!
I agree, how stupid!!! I'd take the citation if one attacked my dog! (Not likely in Indiana, lol.)

I was talking to my mom who lived in Florida years ago and she was also saying she couldn't believe anyone would swim in a lake or pond down there! You're just asking for trouble.

RiverRat said:

By The Associated Press
2 hours ago

Thanks, River. My brother lives in Sarasota, too! I hope he hears about it - am sure he has. He probably wouldn't mind a citation, come to think of it. He's been dyin' to shoot that gator, no kidding. The whole neighborhood lives in terror of it. It's a very nice neighborhood, lots of families.

Eve

LOL what do these folks expect? When you move into an alligator habitat there are going to be alligators. Its like moving into the middle of a snake pit and then saying OMG theres a snake!!!!! If ya dont wanna live with alligators move to Missouri lol.

tybee204 said:
LOL what do these folks expect? When you move into an alligator habitat there are going to be alligators. Its like moving into the middle of a snake pit and then saying OMG theres a snake!!!!! If ya dont wanna live with alligators move to Missouri lol.

I agree Tybee, but I can't understand why the Natural Resources people wouldn't help my brother and their neighbors. After all, they moved into a neighborhood, not the Everglades. There are hazards everywhere. A little kid not far from here was bitten by a bat that got into his bedroom and is dying of rabies. :( Sometimes these things happen, but if trained people can safely move the animal to a less inhabited area, why not? Three people have died, probably doing stupid things, but what about kids?

Eve

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708
Back