Vatican calling for Boycott of Da Vinci Code

The church does many ridiculous things, IMO! Yes, it's FICTION, A NOVEL! Too many people are getting their knickers in a twist about this book and now the movie. This reaction will probably drive up ticket sales even more! :doh:

sandraladeda said:
Or, if you would like to open your minds to another perspective on this, you could go to www.JesusDecoded.com and read a few of the commentaries.
I went to the above link, and found this interesting paragraph:

Reporters have asked whether even a bestselling novel can seriously damage a Church of one billion believers. No, in the long run, it cannot. But that is not the point. The pastoral concern of the Church is for each and every person. If only one person were to come away with a distorted impression of Jesus Christ or His Church, our concern is for that person as if he or she were the whole world.

(Bold emphasis mine) Sounds very reasonable, I think.

And yet, the church has invalidated the communions of CHILDREN that because of health issues, can't follow church doctrin:
8-year-old's first Holy Communion invalidated by Church

By JOHN CURRAN
The Associated Press

BRIELLE, N.J. - An 8-year-old girl who suffers from a rare digestive disorder and cannot consume wheat has had her first Holy Communion declared invalid because the wafer contained none, violating Catholic doctrine.

She's not the only one, either. There are more examples in the article.

Color me confused. :confused:

I will admit to you all that I am no big fan of the Catholic Church.
A few actions have happened to people I love that have made me wary of this religion....

Intimidation by nuns and teachers, abuses by priests and the church looked the other way, strong-arming women to have more and more children.

It always seems to me that the Church is never wrong...yet goes screaming when someone says/writes something adverse about their group...

I would however never deny people that find great strength or peace that the church is good for them...it is as neccessary as breathing, and that is okay and right.

Methinks the Catholic Church protests too much and needs a thinker skin!
I have read the book and I do NOT believe the story puts the church itself in a horrid light...

IMO Catholicism has ALOT to answer for as does organized religion in itself.
This world would be so much better off without it.....
More people have died in the name of God than any other reason....

I really enjoyed the book.

IrishMist said:
I went to the above link, and found this interesting paragraph:

Reporters have asked whether even a bestselling novel can seriously damage a Church of one billion believers. No, in the long run, it cannot. But that is not the point. The pastoral concern of the Church is for each and every person. If only one person were to come away with a distorted impression of Jesus Christ or His Church, our concern is for that person as if he or she were the whole world.

(Bold emphasis mine) Sounds very reasonable, I think.

And yet, the church has invalidated the communions of CHILDREN that because of health issues, can't follow church doctrin:
8-year-old's first Holy Communion invalidated by Church

By JOHN CURRAN
The Associated Press

BRIELLE, N.J. - An 8-year-old girl who suffers from a rare digestive disorder and cannot consume wheat has had her first Holy Communion declared invalid because the wafer contained none, violating Catholic doctrine.

She's not the only one, either. There are more examples in the article.

Color me confused. :confused:
That is lovely...

This may offend some and forgive me... its just my opinion ...
But This isn't about beliefs and right and wrong its about CONTROL.
Does any catholic really believe that this child is some how tainted because she can't eat wheat??
WHat God won't acknowledge her??

Amraann said:
That is lovely...

This may offend some and forgive me... its just my opinion ...
But This isn't about beliefs and right and wrong its about CONTROL.
Does any catholic really believe that this child is some how tainted because she can't eat wheat??
WHat God won't acknowledge her??
IMO, someone at that girl's church is misinformed. We have 2 people (that I know of) in our parish who are celiacs, and receive a different wafer from everyone else - one manufactured by a group of nuns somewhere in the US (I forget offhand where) especially for celiacs.

And I hardly think anyone is suggesting the child is tainted, although it makes a nice sound bite doesn't it? But on the other hand, I expect the church can have standards as to what is an acceptable replacement for the traditional wheat based wafer. As an example, you cannot consecrate a Hershey bar.....

Not everyone on this planet is familiar with celiac-sprue, including your average, well-meaning, and yes, fallible priest.

As for it being about "control" I do not see how you can make this assumption....

imho

Oh consecrated Hershey bar, I bow down before thee! Let me ingest thy flavor without aggravating my diabetes, in the name of the coca, the sugar, and the holy milk, amen.

All I can say is - everyone does it. The Vatican doesn't like this one, there was a huge bit about another Christ movie some decade or so back, and let's not forget Islam where even a little cartoon can lead to a ton of protests and far worse. No religion likes to hear negatives.

I have many quarrels with the official dogma of the Church, but I have to applaud the Vatican's just plain good taste in calling for a boycott of The Da Vinci Code.

(Hey, Sandy!)

Details said:
Oh consecrated Hershey bar, I bow down before thee! Let me ingest thy flavor without aggravating my diabetes, in the name of the coca, the sugar, and the holy milk, amen.

All I can say is - everyone does it. The Vatican doesn't like this one, there was a huge bit about another Christ movie some decade or so back, and let's not forget Islam where even a little cartoon can lead to a ton of protests and far worse. No religion likes to hear negatives.

Details...that says it all...Every religion has something that sets off its "sensitive button", heck we ALL do, personally for that matter.
Kind of amazes me that the Catholic Church is aghast that someone could even look at their organization with a jaded eye! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Lynie

Every time I hear anyone complaining about the DaVinci Code or worse yet.... acting like the Davinci Code is real.... I just want to shout .....

ITS JUST FICTION....A STORY....IT'S MADE UP ... IT'S NOT REAL

The Catholic Church just makes itself look stupid by taking the book and the movie seriously.

I think they made the same uproar over The Last Temptation of Christ.

tybee204 said:
I think they made the same uproar over The Last Temptation of Christ.

Yeah, and in that movie, Jesus merely imagined what life would have been like if he married Mary Magdalene.

I'm not sure there has ever been a religious sect that was known for its sense of humor. Or ability to shrug off the small stuff.

Nova said:
Yeah, and in that movie, Jesus merely imagined what life would have been like if he married Mary Magdalene.

I'm not sure there has ever been a religious sect that was known for its sense of humor. Or ability to shrug off the small stuff.

Actually I may be wrong but I don't think Jesus imagined those in the movie....I thought the devil tempted him with visions of another life he could grant him rather than dying on the cross and Jesus in the end rejected the offer and chose to die on the cross anyway ....so I could never figure out why that movie bothered anyone so much either.

Nova said:
I have many quarrels with the official dogma of the Church, but I have to applaud the Vatican's just plain good taste in calling for a boycott of The Da Vinci Code.

(Hey, Sandy!)
So, how did you feel about the Passion of the Christ? Should it have been called for a boycott from the Jews?

I'm a practicing Catholic and have read the book. I thoroughly enjoyed it and yes, it does raise some questions and "what ifs". After all, we do not know what happened between the age of 12 and 33. At 12 we leave Jesus teaching in the temple and then pick Him up again dying on the cross at 33. (at least that's what my 12 years of catholic education taught me)
the church has done many heinous things and stirring up this controversy just makes people think how desperate the church is to keep control. This generation is not like the all believing generation before us. Doesn't mean we don't believe in God or want to live a chrisitan life, it just means we do not have the "blind" faith the church would like us to have.
When priests are abusing children, stealing collection envelopes, soliciting prostitutes and killing nuns, it leaves room for people to rethink the religion and all its teachings.

Maybe So said:
Actually I may be wrong but I don't think Jesus imagined those in the movie....I thought the devil tempted him with visions of another life he could grant him rather than dying on the cross and Jesus in the end rejected the offer and chose to die on the cross anyway ....so I could never figure out why that movie bothered anyone so much either.

Well, depending on one's concept of the Devil, it can amount to the same thing. ;)

ellen13 said:
So, how did you feel about the Passion of the Christ? Should it have been called for a boycott from the Jews?

I haven't seen it. Frankly, I find Mel Gibson's films (Braveheart, etc.) technically brilliant, but otherwise superficial. Nothing I heard about "Passion" made me think it was any different, though I have no doubt the crucifixion was very graphic.

For the record, "the Jews" didn't call for a boycott. Some may have. Others participated in producing and distributing the movie. Thousands of Jews went to see it, including most Jews I know. There is no monolithic Jewish authority or opinion.

As a practicing Catholic, I made my views already known in the thread on this in the Jury Room if anyone is interested. :crazy:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back