GA - Berna Ellington, 31, & 2yo twins beaten to death, Lithonia, 17 May 2006

christine2448

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
A woman and her twin sons were found dead overnight in their home near Lithonia, DeKalb County police said.

The woman's husband called police shortly before midnight Wednesday to report the deaths, at a home on Rambling Way, in a neighborhood off Phillips Road that backs up to Lithonia High School, police said.

DeKalb police spokesman Jason Gagnon would not say how the three died, only that investigators were treating their deaths as "suspicious."

Investigators said the twins recently celebrated their first birthdays.

The names of the victims have not been released.

Georgia voter records list the residents of the home as 29-year-old Clayton Jerrod Ellington and Berna Judge Ellington, 31.

ajc.com

LITHONIA -- DeKalb County authorities are investigating the deaths of a woman and her twin sons who were found dead in their home in Lithonia.

And authorities say the deaths are suspicious.

DeKalb County Police say the woman's husband found the bodies around 11:45 last night at the family's home. Investigators say the twins were toddlers who recently celebrated their first birthdays.

"To think that someone would come in and take the lives of two babies, who can not talk, who can not repeat anything, who can not describe anyone, that is just tragic," said neighbor Shelia Lewis.

No other details are available. The names of the victims have not been released.

wsbtv.com

This morning on local news reporter said the girls family had driven last night from the Carolinas if I remember correctly, to the scene of this horrific crime....the mother was quoted as saying "that monster, I know he did this"...referring to the husband. The reporter asked her if there had been any trouble in the marriage, she said not that she was aware, but her daughter was not one to discuss such things if there had been. The family had spent Mother's Day weekend with the victim's parents and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

Police reported there was MASSIVE amounts of blood in the home....said police aren't releasing how they died, but on a few of the stations they said they were all shot.

This all just happened, very little information right now.

How horrific! Wonder why the victim's mom was implicating the husband if there was no history of violence or anything? Was this revenge for drugs or some kind of gang related incident?

What kind of monster kills little babies????? I know the answer is sick ********. It just hurts to know that these type of people are out there.

JMHO

I was just coming back to post this article. Shocking is what it is! 2 little babies.....if it is the husband who did this, why not shoot yourself too? The same old question.

Sounds like the Mom spoke her thoughts out loud. Then realized what she said.

First thing I thought of was the husband. He either wanted out of the marriage with no strings attached / child support & or he has a girlfriend. How or why they think they can get away with this is beyond me.

My wife watches WXIA ch. 11 here in the Atlanta area in the morning and hearing about this story woke me up. How's that for being a true crime "enthusiast?"

The property is owned by Clayton Jerrod and Berna (possibly Bernadene) Ellington. They are from S. Carolina originally. A Clayton J. Ellington was in a chapter at S. Carolina State University of the Nat'l Association of Blacks in Criminal Justice. At one time Ellington was the president of the chapter, and another time he was the chaplain.

A cop? A police chaplain? And he might just be the guy in custody?

The info about the names attached to the address where this occurred came from the AP article in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, btw. I connected the dots from a news story stating that relatives of the family in the story were down from S. Carolina. Put that together with the property info from the AP story.

If he and/or his wife are cops, no wonder very little has been released yet.

Steve

This was just put on on wsbtv blog, written by reporter Ryan Young:
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/8954542/detail.html

5/18/06

When we pulled onto Rambling Way in Lithonia we could see the lights flashing in the distance.

The house was covered in flood lights.

At that time of night C.S.I. uses the light to gather evidence.

Everyone talks about the TV show.

Well, here they are wearing gloves, booties and carrying cameras.

We can see that they are paying lots of attention to the husband’s truck as it sits in the front driveway.

Neighbors in this nice neighborhood stood in robes together; wondering what happened here.

It's after 1:00 a.m. Looking around you could see just how stunned everyone was.

I just wanted to get an idea of the who, the what, and especially, the why.

Off in the distance I could see an officer shaking his head. I knew then that this would be a long night of pain for so many here.

Sometimes you can see in an officer’s face when a crime bothers them more than another. I feel that you could see this one in many of their faces.

Two young boys, twins, 2 years old and their mother both found dead. Apparently the blood was everywhere; just a gruesome crime scene.

One officer said this is the worst thing he's seen in 14 years of crime scenes.

To put that in perspective, some of these officers have seen at least a murder every 2 weeks.

Multiply that by 14 years and that statement stands on its own.

As neighbors we don't nearly know each other like what my parents tell me about when it comes to neighborhoods. But here everyone seems to know the twin; twins that are now gone.

The father was taken to the DeKalb police station for questioning.

What became very tense for us happens later.

The women's family drove all night from South Carolina to get here.

Once here they immediately felt they knew committed this crime.

The father, mother and twin sister of the victim all feel strongly about who killed the victims.

Standing here after 8 a.m. after a full night, I doubt anyone had a good nights sleep around here.

misterallgood said:
My wife watches WXIA ch. 11 here in the Atlanta area in the morning and hearing about this story woke me up. How's that for being a true crime "enthusiast?"

The property is owned by Clayton Jerrod and Berna (possibly Bernadene) Ellington. They are from S. Carolina originally. A Clayton J. Ellington was in a chapter at S. Carolina State University of the Nat'l Association of Blacks in Criminal Justice. At one time Ellington was the president of the chapter, and another time he was the chaplain.

A cop? A police chaplain? And he might just be the guy in custody?

The info about the names attached to the address where this occurred came from the AP article in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, btw. I connected the dots from a news story stating that relatives of the family in the story were down from S. Carolina. Put that together with the property info from the AP story.

If he and/or his wife are cops, no wonder very little has been released yet.

Steve
Great sleuthin' mistergoodall...thanks for the information!

to me how anyone could do this. I hope the person in custody is the monster who did this and they wrap up the case quickly.

So the family really believes that the husband did this. I wish more infomation would be released. How in the world could you kill your own children?????

JMHO

Authorities said the deaths are suspicious and autopsies were being conducted at the medical examiner's office. Detectives took the husband away from the scene and continued their interview with him 12 hours after the crime and into the afternoon hours Thursday. His car was also towed from the crime scene and the house dusted for fingerprints.

"I saw him. I saw him come out. He was broken up," said neighbor Christine Montague. She said her husband heard screaming Wednesday night but didn't think anything about it until a swarm of police cars flooded their street.

While police have released no details on how they think the mother and her 2-year-old boys died, detectives questioned neighbors in the Stonebridge Creek Estates subdivision as to whether they heard any gunshots before midnight.

http://www.11alive.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=80002

Was the husband just coming in at 11:45 p.m. I wonder how he came upon the bodies at that time of night. Is he in fact a cop?? I'm not pointing my finger at him just yet, but people have said before that cops can make the best criminals (they know what what will be looked for) Still too little information to make that determination. Very sad:(

bakerprune64 said:
Was the husband just coming in at 11:45 p.m. I wonder how he came upon the bodies at that time of night. Is he in fact a cop?? I'm not pointing my finger at him just yet, but people have said before that cops can make the best criminals (they know what what will be looked for) Still too little information to make that determination. Very sad:(
Me either, not pointing yet...I did that with Runaway bride, thought John Mason surely had did something to Jennifer....boy was I wrong, I will never do that again!

They have arrested the husband!

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/9236098/detail.html

"LITHONIA -- A DeKalb County man who said he came home last night and found his wife and twin sons dead has now been charged in their murders.

Twenty-nine-year-old Clayton Ellington, husband of Berna Ellington and father of both children, was taken to DeKalb Police headquarters to be interviewed, and through that process the Major Crimes Division detectives were able to gather enough evidence to charge him with three counts of murder."

They are saying it was blunt force trauma and that the babies were two. OMG! I am so po'd at this *******. How could he do that to his sweet little babies?????? :sick: :( :furious:

Please say a special little prayer for the babies and their mommy.

JMHO

He is truly a beast from hell. The fake fact of his screaming is more testimont to his qualities.He was looking for a way out last night.

Son of a b$#^h!

Husband Charged In Murders Of Wife, Twins

A DeKalb County man who said he came home last night and found his wife and twin sons dead has now been charged in their murders.

Twenty-nine-year-old Clayton Ellington, husband of Berna Ellington and father of both children, was taken to DeKalb Police headquarters to be interviewed, and through that process the Major Crimes Division detectives were able to gather enough evidence to charge him with three counts of murder.

Further evidence in the case led to the arrest of Clayton Ellington's acquaintance, 19-year-old Sean Fennell, for one count of Giving False Statements to police, which is a felony. Fennell was not charged with any of the murders.

Investigators say the twins were toddlers who recently celebrated their second birthdays.

"To think that someone would come in and take the lives of two babies, who can not talk, who can not repeat anything, who can not describe anyone, that is just tragic," said neighbor Shelia Lewis.

Officials say the cause of death in this incident was blunt-force trauma.

A joint follow-up investigation will be conducted by the DeKalb Police Major Felony Unit, and the DeKalb Medical Examiners Office.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/9236098/detail.html

The boys names were Cameron and Christian
crying.gif

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member